Do we have Chiffers in the hurricane area?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

Here in the mountains we felt the winds more than the rain. I saw several trees downed from the wind last night as I drove my mail route today.

I can't even imagine what the folks down there have endured and are enduring now.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Hiya, Cowtime; we had a cap o' wind over here, too, but nothing to worry about. However, in the "ripple effect" department, I'm just hearing that western NC is running out of gasoline... seems the pipeline to Spartanburg from the Gulf is bollixed up, and there are to be no further gas shipments up the mountain to us until middle of next week at the earliest. The gas stations here in my little town are all closed already, having run out of gas this afternoon. City and county gov't in Asheville are telling everyone to stay home, conserve, etc. Good thing I filled up the truck yesterday.

Nonetheless...mustn't grumble: I'm reminded that I have a roof over my head, and a supply of safe, clean water, and that I know where all my loved ones are; and for those simple things, I'm grateful.
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I finally got a cell phone call from my brother in Abita Springs, LA, which is in the north shore region. A tree fell on his house and another one fell on the carport destroying both of their nice cars. However, he and his wife are both safe along will all of their animals.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

That's wonderful news Doug. I'm sure you must be very relieved! :)
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

What I am seeing now is there are about 5000 people at the New Orleans convention center with no drinking water. But there is water and food at the Superdome, and it is staying there? I thought for sure things would be better by now.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

FEMA apparently had not been informed of the people who had been sent to the convention center. It didn't seem to be an "official" site. FEMA is sending food and water, which should be there by about now.

They've also told the people there that they can walk over to an interstate overpass, from which they'll be picked up and bussed to Texas.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Lambchop wrote:FEMA apparently had not been informed of the people who had been sent to the convention center. It didn't seem to be an "official" site. FEMA is sending food and water, which should be there by about now.

They've also told the people there that they can walk over to an interstate overpass, from which they'll be picked up and bussed to Texas.
Yes I can see them with water now on the TV. I think that Dallas and San Antonio are each going to take in 25000 people each.
littlejohngael
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

My family and I are down in Lake Charles, LA on vacation visiting our in-laws. We didn't get any damage to speak of, but we were supposed to leave for home (Virginia) this Sunday. Not sure how the roads are gonna be. And if the roads are fine, I'm not sure if there will be enough gasoline.

Man, am I glad I brought all my whistles. ... :roll:

Best,

LJ
chattiekathy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

Ken,

Glad that your family is safe. I hope that you find your gas to get home on. I also hope it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg. You won't be able to play your whistles or Mando or Harp! :o

Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Stations around here ran out of gas yesterday evening. The ones that had the stuff jacked it up to $3.58 at the highest.

I got up an hour earlier and drove an extra hour to get gas for my Jeep for the mail route. I hope I can find some tomorrow morning . No gas on "check day" is not good.

For folks like me, who have to buy gas every day this supposed shortage is becoming more and more of a problem.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I don't know where Lake Charles is and how you get to Virginia, but on TV it just showed people who had evacuated and were some distance from New Orleans that were waiting 3-6 hours in line for gas and a lot of stations are out. Motel rooms could be hard to get. I would do some checking around. Maybe you could call the Highway Patrol to see what the situation is like on the route you plan to take. I assume staying with your in-laws would be preferable to living in your car. :wink:
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Lake Charles is roughly halfway between Baton Rouge and Houston. You'd have to ask the locals about the best escape routes.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Just seen this report of explosions in NO. Anyone know any more?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4207202.stm
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

No. It is scary. It must seem like the end of the times to those people down there. This has surely gone beyond what I thought the worst case scenario would be.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Please pray for my dear friend Aleatha and her husband, Leo... they have not been heard from... family and friends are getting worried.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com