Cheese

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

My cheese thread's an hour old now and I haven't had a single good cheddar recommendation. Guess I'll have to wait till the Brits wake up in the morning... :evil:

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

Well I can tell you what NOT to eat: soy cheese.

It tastes like credit cards.
perrins57

Re: Cheese

Post by perrins57 »

SteveShaw wrote:I am sick to the back teeth of going to cheese counters, thinking "Oh - I'll be adventurous today and buy a cheddar I've never tried before,"
Steve
Remarkable, I'm sure I haven't heard the words "Cheddar" and "adventurous" in the same sentence before - and there in lies your problem - buy some dolcelatte (or however you spell it) or Y-Fenni of something else not made of reconstituted polymerised epoxy milk products.
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

I live in Wisconsin, America's Dairyland, and home to some great award-winning cheese (you didn't say anything about Wisconsinites bragging, so I will). In fact, we are known to the rest of the country as "cheddarheads" or "cheeseheads" because, well, we like cheese.

I don't know what brand or type or farm of cheese that's the best - I guess I'm not that much of a cheese gourmet - but I never have any problem finding good cheese, mostly from area farms.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Now that I think about it, every Amish cheese I've ever eaten has been superbly delicious, but I really doubt one could find it in the UK.

(Do Amish people live in the UK?)
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

perrins57 wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:I am sick to the back teeth of going to cheese counters, thinking "Oh - I'll be adventurous today and buy a cheddar I've never tried before,"
Steve
Remarkable, I'm sure I haven't heard the words "Cheddar" and "adventurous" in the same sentence before - and there in lies your problem - buy some dolcelatte (or however you spell it) or Y-Fenni of something else not made of reconstituted polymerised epoxy milk products.
Had 'em, mate, and love 'em. In the fridge at the moment I have a Bleu d'Auverne, a full-fat Normandy Camembert and a hunk of Wensleydale as well as my cheddars. A superb Irish cheese that I bought in Barnstaple pannier market is Cashel Blue. I love a good, tangy, crumbly Lancashire on a butty with tomatoes or good piccalilli. I relish a good, flowing Brie too, but it mustn't have that nasty, chalky layer in the middle. It's just that I love cheddar especially but felt frustrated about the crap that usually passes for it. You haven't used the words "adventurous" and "cheddar" in the same sentence because you've had your senses dulled by the rubbish that generally goes by the name of cheddar. But there is good stuff around!

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

SteveShaw wrote:What I want from cheddar cheese is very simple. Firm texture but not too dry. A bit moist even. Salty and very tangy, but very clean-flavoured and free of off-tastes. The saints preserve me from "mild cheddar." Proper cheddar should make your gums ache. It should, of course, never be served straight from the fridge. Proper cheddar cannot come from a rectangular block - that is factory trash.
I prefer a drier cheddar; if you have a big enough block, it should even crumble a little if you cut it with a knife. And I'd characterize the sensation not as "make your gums ache," but as "make your mouth itch."

Other than that, we're in complete agreement. Cheddar is really the king of cheeses. There really are good American cheddars, from Vermont and New York (I have yet to find a good Wisconsin cheddar, but, as you pointed out, they prob'ly keep that for themselves). My all-time favorite was a grocery-store brand (Stop 'n' Shop) "real sharp." My mouth would itch for 15 minutes after a couple of pieces of that, and it was dirt cheap. And it made the BEST cheese potatoes and cheese sauce for broccoli.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Well Steve...thanks so much for this announcement. I'll just pull Chitty Chitty Bang Bang out of the garage and head on over to Devon.
On second thought, I won't. I actually haven't eaten more than a couple cheese shavings since 1985 when I discovered that the casein gives me a 3 day migraine.
Cranberry wrote:Well I can tell you what NOT to eat: soy cheese.

It tastes like credit cards.
And furthermore, the only meltable kind melts because of added CASEIN!

It is much preferable to stick with tofu.
aderyn_du
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

Cranberry wrote:Now that I think about it, every Amish cheese I've ever eaten has been superbly delicious, but I really doubt one could find it in the UK.
What a coincidence! Just today I bought, for the first time, some Amish Havarti... it is *wonderful*!! I'm going to try the cheddar next time I go to Publix (a grocery here in Atlanta). :)

Speaking of crackers... has anyone tried Carr's Rosemary Crackers? I discovered them a couple weeks ago. Yum!!!!!!

(Steve, I wish I had some good cheddar recommendations, but never having been to your part of the world, I've no idea what is available there... sorry!)

~Ad
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
djm

Post by djm »

I have a friend who likes really foul stuff like you, Steve. I can never tell if the approaching odour is his breath or feet. I'm afraid I can't stand anything tougher than well-salted curds. And while you're bashing everything on the supermarket shelves, kindly leave the Breton crackers for me. We luvs 'em, precious, cheese or no.

And really, Steve, for a self-diagnosed cheese fiend I am a bit surprised that you have failed to mention Red Leicester, Tilsit, Caerphilly, Bel Paese, Red Windsor, Stilton, Emmental, Gruyère, Norwegian Jarlsberger, Liptauer, Lancashire, White Stilton, Danish Blue, Cheshire, Dorset Blue Vinney, Roquefort, Pont-l'Évêque, Port Salut, Savoyard, Saint-Paulin, Carre-de-L'Est, Bresse-Bleu, Boursin, Camembert, Gouda, Edam, Caithness, Smoked Austrian, Japanese Sage Darby, Greek Feta, Parmesan, Mozzarella, Pippo Crème, Danish Fimboe, Czech sheep's milk, Venezuelan Beaver Cheese, Ilchester, SHUT THAT BLOODY BOUZOUKI UP! Limburger ...

:D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

What about Kraft Velvetta. I do prefer natural cheese from Vermont (sorry Wisconsin), but Velvetta is often on sale in my supermarket, and I like bargains.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Doug_Tipple wrote:What about Kraft Velvetta. I do prefer natural cheese from Vermont (sorry Wisconsin), but Velvetta is often on sale in my supermarket, and I like bargains.
I think ya missed the 1st page... :o
sorry about the Velvetta...
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I really think Steve is one of the Monty Pythons and is pullin' our leg. I swear, his descriptions of cheese are right out of the Travel Agent skit. I can hear Eric Idle saying all his lines about cheese! :lol:

Pursuing cheese is sorta like remembering wine labels. I never can remember when I have had a good one, or the next time it doesn't taste as good, etc...
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

A couple of weekends ago my brother, bless him, gave me a bag with a couple of his favourite cheeses in, and a jar of pickled walnuts. A tentative sniff suggested that someone might have been sick in the bag, but not recently.

As soon as I was out of sight, the bag went straight in a litter bin, walnuts and all.

I think the first division in cheese appreciation has to be smell. If you don't want everything in your fridge to leap out onto the floor in desparation, you can't put something that smells like a dead foot in there.

I'm probably not adventurous enough when it comes to cheese - I favour full flavoured stuff like Cathedral City, when I have a cheese hankering.

I amazed and amused my colleagues with some cans of Easy-Cheese from the States earlier in the year. Now that's class.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

SteveShaw wrote:Two other vile confections we have here (or used to, at least in the days of my youth) are "Kraft Cheese Slices" and "Dairylea."
Are you kidding?? The discovery of Kraft Cheese slices was partially responsible for my surviving last winter! How else am I supposed to make proper tuna melts and grilled cheese sandwiches? :P

Granted, Martin describes it as "plastic cheese" so maybe it's a cultural thing.

As for other varieties, I greatly enjoy the Red Leicester cheese but I'm not sure if that meets your criteria. I'm even less adventurous than Martin.