Questions Re: History of the Board

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Will O'B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Questions Re: History of the Board

Post by Will O'B »

I was reading some of the older stuff posted on the board (circa 2001). Members make reference there to looking at the "archives" for answers to frequently asked questions. This leads me to believe that the board had an earlier life than indicated by the 2001 original posting dates. My questions are: When did the [original] board begin? and Whatever happened to these archives?

There is some interesting stuff in the posts after 2001, such as: whistle related info (believe it or not), seemingly infamous flame wars, allussions to even more seemingly infamous flame wars that were deleted by Rich, and someone named Bloomfield struggling to reach his 1000th post. It would be fun to look at what, if anything, predates some of these posts -- I can't help it, I've always enjoyed history (even ancient history :wink: )

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Oh yeah, the board's been going for yonks. I even had two previous incarnations which were (I think) John_Barter and Big_Zambezi. These were because you also had to log on somewhere else or some such (geeky type stuff) and because I'm crap at remembering passwords.

'Course back in the old days most of the talk was about whistles but we still managed the odd punch up along the way.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Coolboard was kind of neat, too. It had this ability via some kind of java plug-in or something to click on a button in a mesasge, and actual record live straight from your sound card...a number of people used it to pass off-the-cuff sound clips, and so as you can imagine, there was a lot more discussion of that nature.

I don't remember if the board was somewhere else prior to Coolboard...I know I joined around 2000ish, because it was before my son was born (oct 2000).
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

Sad. Very sad, indeed. :(

It would have been so cool to see what some of the more polished folks today were up to back then. I dunno, I just enjoy reading that kind of stuff I guess.

Hope the same fate doesn't hit this board (post 2001, I mean).

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Will O'B wrote: It would have been so cool to see what some of the more polished folks today were up to back then. I dunno, I just enjoy reading that kind of stuff I guess.
Well, I can tell you that there are some very strange (and embarrassing) Bloomfield posts out there... I'm a pretty much a newcomer.
/Bloomfield
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I'm just a lurker, really. But I had some elementary posts, meself. I never, however, had to ask which end of the whistle to blow into...but it didn't take long to start spinning OT for the Weekender.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

Bloomfield wrote:
Will O'B wrote: It would have been so cool to see what some of the more polished folks today were up to back then. I dunno, I just enjoy reading that kind of stuff I guess.
Well, I can tell you that there are some very strange (and embarrassing) Bloomfield posts out there... I'm a pretty much a newcomer.
If you're a "newcomer" and you already have 5618 posts you'll soon have to listen to Murphy lecture you about spending too much time on Internet message boards. You best log off and start practicing your whistle now or you'll really piss him off. Image
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

jGilder wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:
If you're a "newcomer" and you already have 5618 posts you'll soon have to listen to Murphy lecture you about spending too much time on Internet message boards. You best log off and start practicing your whistle now or you'll really piss him off. Image
Yes, and Murphy would be absolutely right in lecturing me on it. :)
/Bloomfield
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

Bloomfield wrote:
jGilder wrote:
Bloomfield wrote: Well, I can tell you that there are some very strange (and embarrassing) Bloomfield posts out there... I'm a pretty much a newcomer.
Yes, and Murphy would be absolutely right in lecturing me on it. :)
Maybe Dale should delete the whole website -- as a public service. Image
Jack

Post by Jack »

I remember two before this but one dissappeared just after I arrived, if my memory serves correctly...
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

There was a software upgrade a few years ago, but people's join dates and post counts remained intact. The colour scheme and general layout changed and naturally brought some griping. The search function was improved.

I believe at that time Rich removed the link to the Archives, which used to be up at the top near the Live Chat link. People would often tell newcomers to "search the archives" in response to standard questions, and the newbies, being newbies, would naturally choose the "search" button rather than the "archives" one.

There was another board iteration before this one, but it closed down a couple months before I joined.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I vaguely recall a really long discussion about using almond oil on wood whistles. Then it was a joke to occasionally mention the topic just to rile people up. There was a lot of discussion about what different whistles sounded like- really no different than today, only more on topic. There were a few trolls who got kicked off and a couple of people who got suspended once or twice. The flame wars were about whistle opinions. I think there were about 3 previous boards to this one?

Ah yeah, back in the day... :roll:
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I should remember since I did it. I know it started on one of the free web-based boards--it was either coolboard or something else that merged with coolboard. Then something happened that made that a problem and then rich stepped up and hosted this board.

There's a lot of history to C&F that I can't remember because I'm the kind of guy who can tell you that on American Bandstand, sometime in the late 60s, Dick Clark played a song called "Machines" by Lothar and the Hand People (arguably the first band to use synthesizers) as a rate-a-record segment and the kids who heard it HATED it. But, I can't tell you much about the history of C&F, even though I was kinda like there for it and everything.

I do remember that the original website was called "The Tinwhistle Table" because it was initially not much more than a page with a table of tinwhistle manufacturers and the whistle keys they made and the prices, etc. I named the NEWSLETTER "Chiff & Fipple" and only later did I go ahead and change the name of the website to Chiff & Fipple. Then, a couple of years ago, I changed the name of the newsletter to "6hole Theory," a move which has been rightfully ignored by my readers. C&F dates from either 1995 or 1996. I THINK it was 1996.
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

DaleWisely wrote:I named the NEWSLETTER "Chiff & Fipple" and only later did I go ahead and change the name of the website to Chiff & Fipple.
Pardon me for being a buffoon, but what exactly is a "chiff"? Image