Katrina sinking in.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Bill Chin

Great poem. :cry:

I once read a very good book about shipwrecks. The book analysed survivor accounts from a half dozen or so shipwrecks over a period of a couple centuries and discussed the patterns of human behavior in that particular survival situation. What I've observed so far (at least from a TV news perspective) is that the same patterns are emerging from New Orleans. There are a lot of valid comparisons between NO and a shipwreck except on a much larger scale.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

Flyingcursor wrote: Bill Chin

I once read a very good book about shipwrecks. The book analysed survivor accounts from a half dozen or so shipwrecks over a period of a couple centuries and discussed the patterns of human behavior in that particular survival situation. What I've observed so far (at least from a TV news perspective) is that the same patterns are emerging from New Orleans. There are a lot of valid comparisons between NO and a shipwreck except on a much larger scale.
Do you recall the name or author of that book? Thanks.

Dale
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Reports now of massive explosions, possibly involving a chemical plant.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4207202.stm
The BBC wrote:New Orleans rocked by huge blasts

The New Orleans riverfront has been hit by a series of massive blasts, and fires are raging in the area.
Details are sketchy, but the blast is believed to have involved a chemical factory. A large cloud of acrid, black smoke is drifting over New Orleans.
Stories on CNN about rape gangs, carjackings, shootings, the living sharing abject squalor and misery with the dead, the kind of 'anarchy' you might expect to find in a Hollywood post-apocalypse B-movie. It's horrible, and incredible.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Another forum I belong to posted this link, about various countries' media reactions to the hurricane:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4207542.stm

Interesting viewpoints and perspectives all around. (If anyone wants to comment on political views expressed in these papers, you're welcome to do so but please do it on a different thread.)
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Last night I first heard people talking about "refugees" and refugee camps. It suddenly occurred to me how alien the thought is of refugees in the US that didn't originate in other countries, and thus the extent of the tragedy began to sink in.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

DaleWisely wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote: Bill Chin

Do you recall the name or author of that book? Thanks.

Dale
Nope. I've been wracking my brain since I thought of it but can't recall. I don't think I still have it but I'll do some searching. I can't even think of any of the particular ships except that at least two of them were off the coast of West Africa and were French ships.
If I come up with anything I'll let you know.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

DaleWisely wrote:I'm not blaming anybody. I don't think there's anyone to blame. I said something to a friend of mine this morning about the apparent absence of an crisis management plan and he pointed out that they had a crisis plan, that being to get people out, and that 80% of the population did get out. That's something.
I don't want to raise the issue of blame but just the question of whether this really counts as a plan, at least the way it was implemented. When this was posted I was puzzled but even more so after hearing an interview tonight on radio with someone from a New Orleans media group. They intended to stay and report but got out before things got really bad when their premises were inundated. They are now in Baton Rouge. (I can't give you their name; I was driving when I caught the interview.)

The interviewee was asked at one point what predictions they had to go by in planning for this kind of event. He said that he himself had asked an expert who had predicted a death toll of 100,000 in the aftermath of a serious hurricane. Apart from the fact that New Orleans is like a half full bathtub floating in the ocean, the main reason for the high estimate was that New Orleans has a lot of poor people living hand-to-mouth who don't own cars and would have no means of escape and nowhere to escape to. But why was it just taken for granted (by this pundit and the authorities) that an evacuation plan would be a do-it-yourself thing? I know that America is big on laissez-faire but surely it would have been a lot cheaper, if nothing else, to mount an assisted evacuation before the storm than it is after.

So that's my puzzle. To my way of thinking, an evacuation plan would consist in a destination to go to and the infrastructure to get people there and look after them when they get there. (I know that's a big undertaking but it could be a standing contingency plan.) Yet the implementation of the plan seems to have consisted in just urging people to leave which is darned near impossible for those with no car and no money to support themselves when they get to .... where exactly?

I realise that it's easy to be wise after the event. But this media group had this prediction before the event and they can't have been the only ones.

Of course, all most of us can do now other than give practical relief is just hope that a few long overdue pieces of good luck fall the way of these poor people.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

At least here in Birmingham, looks like we're being given a concrete way to help. The civic center here is now home to several hundred refugees. There's a call out for toiletries, books, blankets, that kind of thing. Board games, even. So, we'll be able to put together some stuff and take it tomorrow.

I see where President Bush has said aloud that the response to the crisis has been "unacceptable."
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

avanutria wrote:Another forum I belong to posted this link, about various countries' media reactions to the hurricane:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4207542.stm

Interesting viewpoints and perspectives all around. (If anyone wants to comment on political views expressed in these papers, you're welcome to do so but please do it on a different thread.)
Thanks for this. Fascinating stuff.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

DaleWisely wrote:At least here in Birmingham, looks like we're being given a concrete way to help. The civic center here is now home to several hundred refugees. There's a call out for toiletries, books, blankets, that kind of thing. Board games, even. So, we'll be able to put together some stuff and take it tomorrow.
Don't forget to put some whistles in the pack.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

some of our locals are frustrated with the government's speed.

http://www.folsomliving.com/modules/fre ... .php?id=33
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
emmline

Post by emmline »

DaleWisely wrote:At least here in Birmingham, looks like we're being given a concrete way to help. The civic center here is now home to several hundred refugees. There's a call out for toiletries, books, blankets, that kind of thing. Board games, even. So, we'll be able to put together some stuff and take it tomorrow.
Good to be able to have a clear-cut way to respond.
I don't know what we can do up here apart from send $.
emmline

Post by emmline »

How about this:
Staying Alive: The Psychology of Human Survival, by Roger Walsh.
http://www.powells.com/biblio?&cgi=prod ... 0394726901
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Wombat wrote: So that's my puzzle. To my way of thinking, an evacuation plan would consist in a destination to go to and the infrastructure to get people there and look after them when they get there.
Somebody on the radio this morning said that the state of LA had considered using trains for the evacuation, but the idea was discarded. (Unfortunately I've got s*** for brains and can't remember why.) It's a good way to move a lot of people who haven't the means to move themselves.

That said, one of the main reasons evacuations are self-serve here is the lack of public transit.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

My brother left Houston a few days ago to start repairing power lines in LA. I wanted to send him a care package, but they're sleeping in the trucks and have no phone service.

It's a risky job, several guys a year slip up just a bit and create a short across their body. Most are severely injured and several die. I'm hoping he'll be able to sleep enough to keep on his toes, it's a job you can't afford to screw up.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx