100 of Britain's dirtiest placenames

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

flanum wrote:and there is a Bastardtown in co.Wexford
Wow, I wonder who founded that? Lots of Fitzgeralds and Fitzwallaces there, I presume?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

ectophonic wrote:I also spent a few years in Newark, (it's an anagram).
As is Tulsa.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Wombat wrote:
TonyHiggins wrote:Don't you Brits have a desert called 'spotted something-or-other?'
Tony :o
I'm sure there are loads of places called Higginsbottom. :D
When I was eight years old an older boy called Norman Higginbottom took a pot-shot at me from his bedroom window with his air rifle. My dad went round to his house and threatened to beat up his dad. Thanks for rekindling unpleasant memories. :cry:

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

SteveShaw wrote:
Wombat wrote:
TonyHiggins wrote:Don't you Brits have a desert called 'spotted something-or-other?'
Tony :o
I'm sure there are loads of places called Higginsbottom. :D
When I was eight years old an older boy called Norman Higginbottom took a pot-shot at me from his bedroom window with his air rifle. My dad went round to his house and threatened to beat up his dad. Thanks for rekindling unpleasant memories. :cry:

Steve
Sorry Steve. Where you come from the chances of having a bad experience with someone of that name are quite high I guess.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Not dirty, but one that will amuse the pure drop traditionalists here.

In Victoria, Australia there is a town called Nyah. Much better known is Nyah West.

No, I am NOT kidding.
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

SteveShaw wrote:There's Cocking and Dicker, both in Sussex (what is it about Sussex?), and sh*t in Yorkshire. Not forgetting Crapstone in Devon and Effingham in Surrey.

Steve (who came from very near to Cockey Moor in Lancashire).
C'mon Steve, you made those up!!! Fess up! Well, at least sh*t. I could almost imagine the others...
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

The Weekenders wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:There's Cocking and Dicker, both in Sussex (what is it about Sussex?), and sh*t in Yorkshire. Not forgetting Crapstone in Devon and Effingham in Surrey.

C'mon Steve, you made those up!!! Fess up! Well, at least sh*t. I could almost imagine the others...
Cocking is a surname. I would think that Dicker is too.

I actually know a guy called Cocking. His nickname (in some quarters) was Present Continuous. A well-known local footballer rejoices in the name Johncock. I'd better not mention his nickname.
oscartherabbit

Post by oscartherabbit »

There are some pretty unambiguous place names in the US too. "Wankers Corner" (Oregan). Mianus (Conneticut) and of course Felchville (Vermont).

Some other crackers from around the world are at http://www.i-r-genius.com/rudeplaces.html

Enjoy.

(Those of you with content filters are going to need to disable them, I suspect).
You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

The Weekenders wrote:

Hey, I assure you they're all absolutely genuine! They're all in the dictionary of English place-names. Crapstone is quite near me, and close by to there is a place called Chipshop! :)
I knew an excellent young fiddle player once whose surname was Dicker. It's not uncommon around here. basmati is not unknown as a surname either.

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Yeah, we have plenty of Dickersons but sh*t?? It would be depressing everytime you addressed a letter or gave out your address on a form...I bet they took a vote and changed their name by now...
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

The Weekenders wrote:Yeah, we have plenty of Dickersons but sh*t??
Isn't there a sh*t or something in the eastern USA? I think we passed a sign that said sh*t or sh*t or something while driving cross country, but I dont remember where as it was about five or six years ago...
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

blue ball and intercourse pa. in the pennsylvania dutch country.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

When I was eight years old an older boy called Norman Higginbottom took a pot-shot at me from his bedroom window with his air rifle. My dad went round to his house and threatened to beat up his dad. Thanks for rekindling unpleasant memories. cry
No relation, I assure you. What did you have to bring that up for, Wombat?

There was a guy in our neighbor with the surname, Ranzbottom. FWIW. It seemed funny to me at the time.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
rasp

Post by rasp »

the list here http://www.i-r-genius.com/rudeplaces.html fails to mention
places like black lick, blue balls and quite a few others in pennsylvania
too many freaks, not enough circuses
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

In Germany there are also funny names, we have Titz 15 mins down the road and Wankum 20 mins up the road which is near Wachtendonk which always cracks me up for some reason.
Others I have seen are Bestwig, Bad Kissingen, Wedding and Moos spring to mind but there are a lot which are funny which you translate them literally Like the town I live outside Mönchengladbach which translates as "Monks at the slippery stream"
Colin