Levee Funding Cut

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Blackwood

Levee Funding Cut

Post by Blackwood »

This would be really sad if this turns out to be correct (article by former Clinton advisor Sidney Blumenthal). Actually depending on the facts this could spell real political trouble for the Bush administration as this seems to imply that becasue of the expenses incurred by the Iraq war specific projects were cut domestically to pay for the war resulting in disastrous consequences"

A year ago the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers proposed to study how New Orleans could be protected from a catastrophic hurricane, but the Bush administration ordered that the research not be undertaken. After a flood killed six people in 1995, Congress created the Southeast Louisiana Urban Flood Control Project, in which the Corps of Engineers strengthened and renovated levees and pumping stations. In early 2001, the Federal Emergency Management Agency issued a report stating that a hurricane striking New Orleans was one of the three most likely disasters in the U.S., including a terrorist attack on New York City. But by 2003 the federal funding for the flood control project essentially dried up as it was drained into the Iraq war. In 2004, the Bush administration cut funding requested by the New Orleans district of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for holding back the waters of Lake Pontchartrain by more than 80 percent. Additional cuts at the beginning of this year (for a total reduction in funding of 44.2 percent since 2001) forced the New Orleans district of the Corps to impose a hiring freeze. The Senate had debated adding funds for fixing New Orleans' levees, but it was too late.

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/interna ... 55,00.html

Disclaimer: I, under no circumstances, endorse or encourage trolling. This article is presented as an informational item only. All views, implicitly or explicitly, expressed or implied are purley the opinion of the poster and are not meant to offend, upset, and/or disparage anyone. The poster is not responsible for the accuracy of the source. Any side effects from reading this post are purely coincidental and are not directly related to the post. If symptoms persist poster advises seeing a psychiatrist.
jGilder
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Levee Funding Cut

Post by jGilder »

Blackwood wrote:Disclaimer: I, under no circumstances, endorse or encourage trolling. This article is presented as an informational item only. All views, implicitly or explicitly, expressed or implied are purley the opinion of the poster and are not meant to offend, upset, and/or disparage anyone. The poster is not responsible for the accuracy of the source. Any side effects from reading this post are purely coincidental and are not directly related to the post. If symptoms persist poster advises seeing a psychiatrist.
It's a sad statement for the board when we feel that we have to post this sort of disclaimer -- I hope it works.

~~~~

Anyway, I posted something similar on Simon's thread, and it's very disturbing indeed. I'm sure the availability of National Guard troops was compromised for the ridiculous war in Iraq as well. I noticed they were showing the same two trucks over and over again on the news. That might just be TV editing or whatever, but the fact that the troops needed have been displaced is still a problem that the Bush Administration is liable for.
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

I'm sure the availability of National Guard troops was compromised for the ridiculous war in Iraq as well. I noticed they were showing the same two trucks over and over again on the news
I don't blame anybody for maybe misjudging the impact this was going to have but by Monday afternoon it was pretty clear that many people stranded had no access to power, food or drink. How hard is it to send a bunch of c-130's and drop care packages? It's been done many times before. Today even on Fox they kept saying that people had been standing on this one bridge for 2 days with no supplies being dropped off. I don't blame the locals since they have limited resources but why it took 3 days for the Feds to move is beyond me at this point. One general was asked point blank today why he is not sending any support and he said that he can't until the president ordered it, which he finally did today after his flyby. 3 days!! They knew it was a category 5 on Sunday! At least put troups on alert and be prepared to submit aid if needed. That's basic contingency planning. Bush does not act decisively in a crisis, that's why he read childrens books for 7 1/2 minutes on 9/11. He freezes like a deer in the headlight.

I hope we're not seeing a trend here, but every time something major happens to the US Bush is on vacation (i.e 9/11, Katrina, some of last year's hurricanes)
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Blackwood wrote:This would be really sad if this turns out to be correct (article by former Clinton advisor Sidney Blumenthal). Actually depending on the facts this could spell real political trouble for the Bush administration as this seems to imply that becasue of the expenses incurred by the Iraq war specific projects were cut domestically to pay for the war resulting in disastrous consequences"

A year ago the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers proposed to study how New Orleans could be protected from a catastrophic hurricane, but the Bush administration ordered that the research not be undertaken. After a flood killed six people in 1995, Congress created the Southeast Louisiana Urban Flood Control Project, in which the Corps of Engineers strengthened and renovated levees and pumping stations. In early 2001, the Federal Emergency Management Agency issued a report stating that a hurricane striking New Orleans was one of the three most likely disasters in the U.S., including a terrorist attack on New York City. But by 2003 the federal funding for the flood control project essentially dried up as it was drained into the Iraq war. In 2004, the Bush administration cut funding requested by the New Orleans district of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for holding back the waters of Lake Pontchartrain by more than 80 percent. Additional cuts at the beginning of this year (for a total reduction in funding of 44.2 percent since 2001) forced the New Orleans district of the Corps to impose a hiring freeze. The Senate had debated adding funds for fixing New Orleans' levees, but it was too late.

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/interna ... 55,00.html

Disclaimer: I, under no circumstances, endorse or encourage trolling. This article is presented as an informational item only. All views, implicitly or explicitly, expressed or implied are purley the opinion of the poster and are not meant to offend, upset, and/or disparage anyone. The poster is not responsible for the accuracy of the source. Any side effects from reading this post are purely coincidental and are not directly related to the post. If symptoms persist poster advises seeing a psychiatrist.
From what I have been reading, I would have to agree that funds that the Army corp of engineers said were needed to protect the people of New Orleans from flooding were cut off and redirected to fund the war in Iraq and homeland security.
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

Blackwood wrote:I don't blame anybody for maybe misjudging the impact this was going to have but by Monday afternoon it was pretty clear that many people stranded had no access to power, food or drink. How hard is it to send a bunch of c-130's and drop care packages? It's been done many times before.
I just have to make the point that it's a LOT harder than it sounds to just "send a bunch of c-130's". There are finite number of resources (resource = equipment + the person/people to operate it) and people demanding help from many different directions. In this case you have people from Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisana all demanding help (and all desperately needing help). Part of the problem with this disaster is the size of it - thousands of square miles are affected. Don't forget that there's still people in Florida recovering too - they weren't hit nearly as hard, but there's still over 200,000 people there without power, and with lots of damage. You have city, parish, county, state, and federal officials all trying to work together, and unfortunately no matter how hard they try and how much they all have the common goal of helping people, it often turns into pissing matches. And there are huge decisions that have to be made. Who gets help first? Who can wait?

Mistakes are being made here - they always are. But lessons will be learned here too. The knowledge gained from what's been done wrong and what's been done right will be passed on for years and make the next response to a disaster, big or small, better.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

Strain of Iraq War Means the Relief Burden Will Have to Be Shared

By Ann Scott Tyson
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, August 31, 2005; A14

With thousands of their citizen-soldiers away fighting in Iraq, states hit hard by Hurricane Katrina scrambled to muster forces for rescue and security missions yesterday -- calling up Army bands and water-purification teams, among other units, and requesting help from distant states and the active-duty military.

As the devastation threatened to overwhelm state resources, federal authorities called on the Pentagon to mobilize active-duty aircraft, ships and troops and set up an unprecedented task force to coordinate a wider military response, said officials from the Northern Command, which oversees homeland defense.

National Guard officials in the states acknowledged that the scale of the destruction is stretching the limits of available manpower while placing another extraordinary demand on their troops -- most of whom have already served tours in Iraq or Afghanistan or in homeland defense missions since 2001.

More than 6,000 Guard members were mobilized in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida when the storm struck on Monday, with the number rising to 8,000 yesterday and hundreds more expected to be called to active duty, National Guard officials said yesterday.

"Missing the personnel is the big thing in this particular event. We need our people," said Lt. Andy Thaggard, a spokesman for the Mississippi National Guard, which has a brigade of more than 4,000 troops in central Iraq. Louisiana also has about 3,000 Guard troops in Baghdad.

Mississippi has about 40 percent of its Guard force deployed or preparing to deploy and has called up all remaining Guard units for hurricane relief, Thaggard said. Those include the Army band based in Jackson, Miss. "They are mustering transportation to move them south," he said. Soldiers who have lost their homes are exempt, he said.

Mississippi has requested troops and aircraft from about eight other states -- including military police and engineers from Alabama, helicopters and crews from Arkansas and Georgia, and aircraft-maintenance experts from Connecticut, who are filling in for a Mississippi maintenance unit that is heading to the Middle East.

"This is the biggest disaster we've ever had, so we're going to need more aircraft than we've got," said Col. Bradly S. MacNealy, the Mississippi Army National Guard's aviation officer. Mississippi has had to borrow from Arkansas UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters fitted with hoists, using them together with the Coast Guard to pluck to safety several dozen people stranded by floodwaters, he said.

Chinook helicopters from Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi are flying the equivalent of 18 large truckloads of critical supplies -- including ice, water, food and chain saws for road-clearing crews -- to Mississippi's coast, he said.

In Alabama, all the major Guard units activated for the disaster have already served in Iraq, and some still have contingents there, said Alabama Guard spokesman Norman Arnold.

Capt. Richard Locke of the Guard's 1st Battalion 167th Infantry headed toward Mobile yesterday with a force of 400 soldiers cobbled together from four units because the rest of the battalion is in Iraq.

Carrying M-16 rifles and 9mm pistols, the soldiers are assigned to control traffic at unlighted intersections, and patrol in Humvees and on foot to prevent looting.

Recruiting and retention problems are worsening the strain on Guard forces in hurricane-ravaged states. Alabama's Army National Guard has a strength of 11,000 troops -- or 78 percent of the authorized number. "We're just losing too many out the back door," Arnold said.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 62_pf.html[/quote]
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Blackwood wrote: I don't blame anybody for maybe misjudging the impact this was going to have but by Monday afternoon it was pretty clear that many people stranded had no access to power, food or drink.
I'm not sure I agree about blame. Here's a snippet from an easily accessible NOAA site:
NOAA wrote:There were many memorable events in the United States throughout the 20th century. The Galveston, Texas, hurricane of 1900 remains the worst disaster in American history. More than 8,000 people perished September 8, 1900 when the category 4 hurricane barreled into Galveston, where many people were on vacation.

In 1900 there were no weather satellites and no Doppler radar. However, warnings were issue by the U.S. Weather Bureau, the predecessor of NOAA's National Weather Service. People were advised to seek higher ground. Many didn't heed the warnings preferring instead to watch the huge waves.

On September 8, the hurricane slammed into Galveston almost head on. Waves were higher than 15 feet and winds howled at 130 miles per hour. By the time the storm passed, more than 8,000 people were dead, countless were injured and half of the island's homes had been swept away.

Read the report of Isaac Cline, the local forecast official with the U.S. Weather Bureau, who recounts the events of those days. He lost his wife when their home collapsed in the onslaught of the storm.

Can this happen today? It's possible. Even though there have been great technological advances in weather forecasting the past 100 years and the city has erected an 18-foot seawall, Galveston is not invincible to such powerful storms. Since many people in the United States have moved closer to the shore, trying to evacuate the population of Galveston could take days.

NOAA remembers the storm of 1900 and those who lost their lives.

Historic Photos from NOAA's Photo Library Online
Sounds familiar doesn't it?

I mean a category 4 hurricane in 1900 was responsible for the greatest disaster in US history. NO is all set for a massive repeat. And there is no planning to prevent a repeat? I mean, US officials go to school and learn US history, don't they?

I don't think this failure is just a US thing; it could easily have happened here. Yet here and in America, if there is a one in a billion chance of baby food being poisoned by a blackmailer, shelves are cleared and stocks recalled. I think our attitude to risk assessment globally is pretty crazy. I don't know why.
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

Wombat wrote:I mean, US officials go to school and learn US history, don't they?
History? I doubt Bush even knows the meaning of that word. Can you say Viet Nam? Image
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I started to post some rant about how the Republicans have never done much for the South, and all that, but decided it's no time to start blaming people. I was listening to right-wing radio, for a while today, while I was waiting on my mother and sister out shopping (I'm not in the habit of listening to these programs, but was in my father's car and that's where he keeps it tuned), and was quite saddened at all the talk of needing to shoot all looters... or the slightly moderated version... shoot looters who weren't looting food.

I realize that looters are to be seen as making the problem bigger, but it really doesn't help matters to turn on everybody at times of intense crisis.

There are lots of things that, in hindsight, ought to have been done differently, but a hurricane is an act of God, so to speak, and there's nothing can be done to prevent it, and certainly nothing to be done to go back and undo it.

Many lessons are being learned the hard way, but it was a long way better than it could have been. The destruction, and more importantly, loss of lives, has been minimal compared to what it would have been if the storm had hit prior to modern warning systems and communications and meteorological advances.
Reasonable person
Walden
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

It is Karma.
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

Walden wrote:I was listening to right-wing radio, and was quite saddened at all the talk of needing to shoot all looters... or the slightly moderated version... shoot looters who weren't looting food.

I realize that looters are to be seen as making the problem bigger, but it really doesn't help matters to turn on everybody at times of intense crisis.
As much as I hold Republicans and the Bush Administration accountable for redirecting funds to their stupid war that were intended for building up the levees in NO, I don't think they're so stupid as to start shooting looters, (or rounding up,) while there's still people to be rescued etc. The images of people being shot or rounded up on TV while the disaster still has victims in its grip would look too much like the authorities value property over human life.

Right wing pundits are amazing. I remember the following day after the Okalahoma City bombing that a right-wing talk show host, Michael Savage, demanded that Clinton immediately bomb Libya in retaliation, and if he doesn't -- he should be impeached. There's a reason they're referred to as "reactionaries."
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Walden wrote:... but decided it's no time to start blaming people.
I'm not really interested in blaming people (except the truly guilty) but I really wish I understood why we don't do enough in advance. I don't mean Americans, I don't mean Republicans, I mean human beings. (Would Huey Long have done better?)

Walden wrote:There are lots of things that, in hindsight, ought to have been done differently,....
I'm more interested in the things that people had foresight of. First, the 1900 tragedy told us you need to evacuate everyone. Second, the 1900 tragedy told us you need levees adequate to the size of hurricane teh experts are predicting. I believe Galveston now has them. N.O. didn't and neither did Biloxi. But these places are just down the road from East Texas and the news has had 105 years to get there.
Walden wrote:Many lessons are being learned the hard way, but it was a long way better than it could have been. The destruction, and more importantly, loss of lives, has been minimal compared to what it would have been if the storm had hit prior to modern warning systems and communications and meteorological advances.
Since the lessons weren't learnt well enough the first time, I doubt that they are being learnt now. Let's look at improvements. Most people did evacuate rather than sit around to watch the show. But will the body count be proportionally less than in 1900, given the numbers of people who might have been killed? Almost certainly yes.

But. The warning systems were plenty adequate in 1900 for people to evacuate to higher ground. I have too questions really. Why inadequate levees? Why no contingency plan to evacuate the poor and infirm given the 1900 experience?

As I said before, this could happen anywhere anytime, but I really have no idea why human beings just cruise along taking risks of this magnitude when we don't tolerate much smaller risks.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

<b>Blackwood</b>

Thanks for posting this. I had read snippets on other sites but hadn't seen the full article yet. I had asked, in another thread, how long it would take before people started to ask why something wasn't done before. New Orleans has sat below sea level since it's founding and the potential for catastrophy has always been on peoples minds.
Lack of action is bad enough but the deliberate removal of funding for such an important project bumps the whole thing to another level.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
TomB

Post by TomB »

jGilder wrote:As much as I hold Republicans and the Bush Administration accountable for redirecting funds to their stupid war that were intended for building up the levees in NO, I don't think they're so stupid as to start shooting looters, (or rounding up,) while there's still people to be rescued etc. The images of people being shot or rounded up on TV while the disaster still has victims in its grip would look too much like the authorities value property over human life.
Well, as you are now no doubt aware, it's reported on the news that some of the individuals that had been involved in rescue efforts have been pulled from that task in order to "restore order", stop looters, etc.

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Blackwood wrote: Any side effects from reading this post are purely coincidental and are not directly related to the post. If symptoms persist poster advises seeing a psychiatrist.
:lol: :lol:
You ought to add the line "Use only as directed."

Great article, by the way! :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown