Re: Notice regarding moderation

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
perrins57
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Notice regarding moderation

Post by perrins57 »

"As time permits, I'm going to be locking more threads, deleting more threads, and explaining myself less. "

Time for Dale to change his Avatar - its looks like its begining to rub off on him!
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Dale owns the place.

It's really hard to argue with ownership.

Apply self-moderation and maybe it won't have to come from above. That's my $.02, probably worth exactly what you paid to read it.

--James
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

peeplj wrote:Apply self-moderation and maybe it won't have to come from above.
--James
I do, but only in moderation.
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

peeplj wrote:Dale owns the place.

It's really hard to argue with ownership.

Apply self-moderation and maybe it won't have to come from above. That's my $.02, probably worth exactly what you paid to read it.

--James
I agree with you totally, mate. There's a lot of tolerance around here. Accentuate the positive! You should see the fights that go on on some lists (did I really say "on on?" :oops: ). I get the weekly newsletter from the BBC Weather Centre and they always try to get you to look at their message boards. I took a quick peek this morning and you wouldn't BELIEVE the flames, insults and trolling that goes on there - over the weather forecast for Gawd's sake!!! :lol: A healthy bit of good humour around here has shut a couple of threads off this week that were turning pointlessly nasty. All power to all our elbows! :)

We have kind of subverted Dale's intentions with this thread so I'm butting out now.

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Things can start to snowball. Some one has to stop it before too many people get hurt. I've seen no evidence that he likes to lock things. On the rare occasion when it happens, it seems pretty obvious why it's been done. I think I can figure it out without an explanation.

Oh dear. This is meant in support of Dale's intentions.
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I am neither agianst or in support of Dale it is his decision not mine. I prefer the Flute and Whistle board myself and post mostly on those.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

What an oh so clever way of getting around a locked thread. :roll:
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

Walden wrote:What an oh so clever way of getting around a locked thread. :roll:
But probably not for long :lol:

(Name's Mark btw)
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

peeplj wrote:...Apply self-moderation and maybe it won't have to come from above...
Sums it up.

If a few people learned when to let it lie instead of rephrasing the same point until tempers fray, we'd see a vastly improved signal to noise ratio, and less need for Dale to filter.

As for whether Dale *should* moderate, we are guests in the man's house. If he says stop then those of us with any manners at all should stop. Our freedom of speech is not compromised: we can continue discussion by PM or email.

There is nothing to stop any one of us from starting a board of our own especially to continue conversations that have become too heated for C&F.

To quote James again: "That's my $.02, probably worth exactly what you paid to read it."
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

I appreciate what you guys are saying; it’s just that I wonder
1) Why people get so wound up and
2) Why this needs moderating?
Firstly as this forum is not face-to-face but simply written discussion why are people so threatened - its not like a fight is going to break out and people or possessions get damaged. If a couple of people exchange a few hot words, so what? Big deal!
Secondly why do these threads need to be locked? I've seen a few threads descend into pointless argument and then I stop reading them - thats how I self moderate. If two or more want to argue why not let them and the rest of us just move away? Nobody is being forced to watch the fight are they?
I suppose it’s the old free speech argument again. As an idea it’s a backbone of American culture (probably less of a hallowed right here in the UK) but in practice it doesn't always turn out so great.
Also this forum is not quite Dale's house - that’s making it sound a bit more personal than it probably is. It’s a service he kindly makes available to the wider whistling community. If he doesn't like what that throws up at times that’s no surprise, but I would be less willingly to moderate content, unless I was receiving many complaints by offended users about a particular thread. Even then, I think people take the discussions on this forum way, WAY too seriously. Its not like we are the United Nations, just a bunch of people who play whistle. I would prefer a style of moderation that requested individuals who just insult people or write obscenities to tone it down or be ejected (three strikes and out). Not that I think Dale is particularly heavy handed, but I'm not sure that his threat to lock or delete more threads is the way to go. Obviously, I'm aware that as he set this forum up, it's Dale's decision, but I'm entitled (I think? - I'll soon find out) to my two pennies worth.

(Name's Mark btw)
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

perrins57 wrote: but I would be less willingly to moderate content, unless I was receiving many complaints by offended users about a particular thread.
I believe Dale is occasionally inundated with complaints. He's hinted at it previously. I think we can let Dale be the judge of when and why to lock a thread. It's his board.

Susan
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

susnfx wrote:I think we can let Dale be the judge of when and why to lock a thread. It's his board.

Susan
Why do people feel that me expressing my opinion is a threat to who owns the board. (more than one person has pointed this out to me) I'm not stupid, I know its Dale's and he'll do things the way he wants to, but expressing an opinon about it isn't wrong is it?

(Name's Mark btw)
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

perrins57 wrote:expressing an opinon about it isn't wrong is it?
It is if it differs from mine. :wink:
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

jbarter wrote:
perrins57 wrote:expressing an opinon about it isn't wrong is it?
It is if it differs from mine. :wink:
Obviously - that goes without saying.

(Name's Mark btw)
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I didn't say I had a problem with anyone expressing an opinion about the way the board is moderated. I simply said that Dale receives tons of complaints about threads and we'll have to trust that he knows what he's doing when he locks a thread. You can complain about it all you want.

Susan