New way to protest high gas prices

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

New way to protest high gas prices

Post by PJ »

There's a new type of protest. Instead of not buying gas on a particular day, the idea is to boycott permanently one of the main oil companies - in Canada, the target of the boycott is Shell and its affiliate Petro-Canada.

The idea is that if a significant number of people boycott Shell/PC for a long period of time (say 6 months), then that company will have to lower its prices or suffer huge losses. If it lowers its prices, it'll start a price war with other oil companies, and the consumer will benefit.

Not a bad idea. Is it being done in any other countries?
PJ
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I haven't heard of anything like that here.

For my own amusement this weekend I worked out the British gas/petrol prices in terms of US dollars per gallon. It came out to $6.57. Makes $3 sound cheap..

I'd love to see a gasoline boycott for six months in the states, but I don't think most Americans would be willing to change their lifestyle enough to accomodate it. I know I wouldn't have been able to. In Utah last year I had a choice of driving 25 minutes to work or getting up two hours early to catch a series of busses.
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

It just always seems a little weird to give business to somebody else who is part of the problem, too. How do you pick who really deserves it?
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

avanutria wrote:I haven't heard of anything like that here.

For my own amusement this weekend I worked out the British gas/petrol prices in terms of US dollars per gallon. It came out to $6.57. Makes $3 sound cheap..
The issue isn't the absolute cost, it's the cost relative to a) what one would normally expect to pay and b) as a proportion of income.

I suspect Europeans have both higher absolute incomes and typically budget more of it for gas. So when a price surge hits, it hits both sides of the atlantic about the same. Of course this is just speculation.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

The Weekenders wrote:It just always seems a little weird to give business to somebody else who is part of the problem, too. How do you pick who really deserves it?
Pick the biggest. If there's a price war, it makes sense to have the biggest company start it.

Obviously this won't work well in remote areas where there may only be one or two service stations, but in the cities (where these companies make their money), boycotting the biggest company, be it Shell or whoever, six months would put enormous pressure on them.

BTW, just to clarify, this isn't a blanket boycott of all gas stations. People will continue to buy gas, just not in the service stations of a particular company.
PJ
tansy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

i boycotted EXON in 1992 :moreevil:, i guess forever.
moral issues though, not money.
Last edited by tansy on Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

The Weekenders wrote:It just always seems a little weird to give business to somebody else who is part of the problem, too. How do you pick who really deserves it?
That's what I say; in an industry where supply is nearly all one-sided, what sense does it make to starve one company and fatten another, when they're both buying the same crude to refine...
If this tactic were used to drive one company down in price (theoretically speaking) that company might (again, in theory) go under, and thus reduce the number of petrolium companies versus ammount of crude available. The rest of the companies must raise their prices in order to purchase or build more refineries to keep up with the hole in end-user supply demand (because demand will rise with the elimination of a providor, thus creating an opportunity for expansion in the other companies, which expansion will cost money), thus increasing the overal price of gasoline in the US and Canada.
The only way to reduce the overall price of gasoline is to reduce the overall value of crude oil. In plain English, if you want to reduce the price of gasoline, you have to universally reduce demand for gasoline in general.
In planer English, use less gasoline.
In plainer-er English, if you wanna make a difference, sell that big damn pickup truck/SUV/large displacement engined luxury car that you probably dont really need and buy a small, gas efficient vehicle.

Again....the only way for the consumer of any good to manipulate the price of said good in a free market atmosphere is to manipulate the properties of it's supply and demand.

Use less gas.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: New way to protest high gas prices

Post by s1m0n »

PJ wrote:There's a new type of protest. Instead of not buying gas on a particular day, the idea is to boycott permanently one of the main oil companies - in Canada, the target of the boycott is Shell and its affiliate Petro-Canada.

The idea is that if a significant number of people boycott Shell/PC for a long period of time (say 6 months), then that company will have to lower its prices or suffer huge losses. If it lowers its prices, it'll start a price war with other oil companies, and the consumer will benefit.

Not a bad idea. Is it being done in any other countries?
It's a stupid idea. The price of gas is a reflection of demand, not anything that the oil companies have control over.

If you want gas prices to come down, switch your SUV to a compact or take the bus.

Nothing but a permenent change in demand is going budge alter the price of oil.

Silly "we can get something for nothing" schemes are useless.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Wormdiet wrote:I suspect Europeans have both higher absolute incomes and typically budget more of it for gas. So when a price surge hits, it hits both sides of the atlantic about the same. Of course this is just speculation.
Speculation indeed. I've never understood where the "Europeans are richer and so make provisions to budget for it" notions come from. The same kind of fallacy popped up in another thread about petrol prices.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

GaryKelly wrote:
Wormdiet wrote:I suspect Europeans have both higher absolute incomes and typically budget more of it for gas. So when a price surge hits, it hits both sides of the atlantic about the same. Of course this is just speculation.
Speculation indeed. I've never understood where the "Europeans are richer and so make provisions to budget for it" notions come from. The same kind of fallacy popped up in another thread about petrol prices.
Oh Oh! I hope you didn't have any off eggs today. I'm heading for the hills.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

GaryKelly wrote: Blessus and splashusss my preciousss, what's it got in it's pocketsess? Eh, tell us that! Monies its got in its nasty pocketses from the nasty, filthy lower gas prices, fat 'merican hobbitses!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Flyingcursor wrote:Oh Oh! I hope you didn't have any off eggs today. I'm heading for the hills.
Hehe. I did have a hardboiled egg today, come to think of it! But nope, my mood is fine. I am pleasantly knackered from a v.splendid weekend in excellent company.

But anyway... here's a jolly good link for anyone interested in comparing the cost of living between major cities around the globe. Ireland does not come off very well, as I'm sure Peter Laban and others have already mentioned:

http://www.finfacts.com/costofliving.htm

Well worth a mooch!
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
BigDavy

UK Rich??

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Wormdiet

The per capta GDP of the UK is roughly $30k, that of the US is roughly $40k. We get it in the neck both ways, higher prices and lower wages.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

One of the best 'cost of living' comparisons I've seen details how long you had to work to buy certain items twenty years ago and how long you have to work for them now. It can throw up a few surprises.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

jbarter wrote:One of the best 'cost of living' comparisons I've seen details how long you had to work to buy certain items twenty years ago and how long you have to work for them now. It can throw up a few surprises.
I throw up a few surprises after too many pints :shock:

No really, though...it is interesting, I can even gauge how the cost of living has increased in just the time since I was able to drive....
back then, gas cost less than seventy cents per gallon...