San Antonio Texas USA Accordion Festival 15-16th Oct 2005

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

San Antonio Texas USA Accordion Festival 15-16th Oct 2005

Post by Guest »

Great line up again!

James Keane ( brother of Sean Keane fiddler with the Chieftains ) is the Irish box player this year. Should be mighty because James has played with the best of the best including Joe Cooley!

http://www.internationalaccordionfestiv ... le-web.htm
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Do you mean those little accordians affectionately known as "boxes" or a full fledged accordian as seen in Zydeco? Or all of the above.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

Probably both, Fly. A look at the photos page on toasty's link shows 50% piano accordions, with the rest being Melodeons by the looks.

James Keane plays melodeon (aka button accordion, aka button-box)...
http://www.jameskeane.com/

Is that a Castagnari he's playing I wonder, for no particular reason at all?
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Oh. You mean actually check out the link before asking stupid questions.

Yeah. I see now. Wish I could go. They'll probably be some great music.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I wish I could go. There's a lot of people on that list that look like they would be great.

I got into a real mix-up. A piano accordion player named Jimmy Keane and a band named bohola came to Des Moines a few years ago and we really enjoyed them alot---but I couldn't remember a whole lot about them at this point. I was thinking the James Keane mentioned above by toasty was the same person but nothing seemed quite same on the description on the festival lineup so after searching aroudnI finally figured out that they are different people. I pass up a chance to go to Chicago once in a while, but I'm starting to realize if the timing were right I could hear some great music.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Le Vent du Nord is a wonderful high enerty band from Quebec. I wish they'd come here again.

Bohola was at the festival in Goderich this year. Jimmy Keane shared one stage with a couple of banjo players and a young female accordianist who was very nearly as good as he was and infinitely more charming.
missy

Post by missy »

SteveK wrote:Le Vent du Nord is a wonderful high enerty band from Quebec. I wish they'd come here again.
Le Vent du Nord was here in Cincinnati last September for our Celtic World Festival. They were FANTASTIC - I've never seen such energy, and they really had the crowd involved. I had never heard "Quebecois" music before, and we have fallen in love with the CD we bought - we've about worn it out!
If you ever have a chance to see them - DO SO!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Hey, I thought Jimmy Keane was pretty charming! :lol: Actually he was working so hard that he was just dripping---I think the auditorium was pretty warm. And then he taps his feet really vigorously to make percussion sounds and then just the work of playing that huge accordion. He was wearing some sort of back brace as well. It looked like it was physically pretty challenging.