Do we have Chiffers in the hurricane area?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Do we have Chiffers in the hurricane area?

Post by Redwolf »

They're calling this America's tsunami, and reading about the damage, I can believe it. About the only good thing is most people had the chance to get to safety.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/29/h ... index.html

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Chiff and Fipple's International Headquarters are in Birmingham, AL. I know other chiffers in southern Alabama and the Florida panhandle. I pray that they all are OK. My brother and his family live on the north shore near Covington, LA, which was hit hard by the hurricane this morning. I have been trying to reach them all day, but telephone calls to the area are difficult if not impossible at this time.
emmline

Post by emmline »

I just found out that my husband's old itinerant artist uncle stayed in the Dome! Kind of strange...I'd just been reading about the tearing roof and muggy conditions. Don't when/if he'll be able to return to his beatnik artists' warehouse in NO.
scottielvr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scottielvr »

The breadth of this disaster is gradually becoming apparent. There will be wide effects...most grievous in terms of human suffering and loss of life, but in the long run there'll be wide economic and other consequences. Am I the only one who finds it a bit surreal that there's little discussion of this on the board today? Granted, one feels largely helpless in the face of such events; and there's no value in wallowing in or "rubber-necking" others' misery. Still, I value the level of concern and compassion that's almost always evident here...seems that has been strangely eclipsed by the recent spate of... weirdness. That makes me sad, but doesn't approach the sorrow and worry I feel for the folks enduring the devastation that's unfolding on the Gulf coast. A co-worker's 16-year-old son is in the local Civil Air Patrol unit, and I just heard he's going with them down there to do what he can to help. I wish there were something concrete I could do. Playing Amazing Grace on the whistle isn't gonna cut it. :cry:
missy

Post by missy »

besides having friends and co-workers in the New Orleans area (haven't heard from all yet....) and friends in Biloxi (all at least alive).......

I love New Orleans. I've visited there 6 times (once for business). As I'm watching the pictures coming out, it's heartbreaking. I can't imagine how these areas will ever "come back".

I honestly don't know what to say -
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Katrina aftermath will last a long time, and the rain is still going on with some tornadoes. C&F can help. www.redcross.org
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I think maybe it isn't being as discussed as one would have expected partly because of a sort of relief that things are not as bad as they could have been in New Orleans, although I believe worse than expected in other places. There was so much concern about the possible loss of life, maybe in the thousands, that when that didn't happen it seemed over. But of course it isn't and won't be for a long time. And the weirdness here has been part of it as well I'm sure.

I really haven't seen much beyond some newspaper photos. The pictures in our newspaper of people walking in water up to their shoulders were pretty shocking. Also, it showed a poor man working for a hospital trying to find some cars that were above water enough to siphon some gasoline from for the hospital generators. That place needs help now.

I have read that the only way to help is to donate money.

I also read that right now everyone is cooperating, but that, apparently, in disasters of this kind after about 3 days, I believe, trouble starts. At first the priorities are easy to set---save lives. Then disagreements arise about what the next priorities are. And people get tired of being wet and miserable. They can only behave heroically for so long. So unfortunately that will make things rougher, but I think there is no way around the fact that everyone is human.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Actually, I don't think the situation in New Orleans is much better than the worst case. Water levels continue to rise. There's looting in the streets, shots fired. 30,000 in the Superdome.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

scottielvr wrote: Am I the only one who finds it a bit surreal that there's little discussion of this on the board today? :cry:
No, you're not the only one....

M
emmline

Post by emmline »

One of my favorite childrens' books was The Little Brute Family.
They were cranky, ate stick and stone stew, got stuck in snow drifts and screamed, and crashed their kites into trees.

Things did not improve until a little lost wandering good feeling was found by the baby, and soon cast its spell over the entire family.

Perhaps we will find a little lost wandering good feeling.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

DaleWisely wrote:Actually, I don't think the situation in New Orleans is much better than the worst case. Water levels continue to rise. There's looting in the streets, shots fired. 30,000 in the Superdome.
Yeah, it looks really bad. In Mississippi, they're saying that some entire towns along the coast are basically gone. Even after seeing the video on the news, I can't even imagine what it must be like.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

DaleWisely wrote: Water levels continue to rise. There's looting in the streets, shots fired. 30,000 in the Superdome.
It sounds like I'd better get caught up. This is definitely news to me. I can't even imagine the situation in the Superdome.
emmline wrote:Perhaps we will find a little lost wandering good feeling.
I think we will. Or it will find us. :)
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

The entire region is a mess. It's a human and economic disaster. I fear that the number of casualties is much much higher than currently known and the rebuilding will be very difficult.

The economic impact on the US will be felt strongly, deficit will rise further, along with gas prices and a reduction in economic output and thousands of lost jobs.

It is a pretty sad affair and worse, Hurricane season is far from over.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

I was reading today that many of the people who have died or been trapped in New Orleans and other areas were among the poorest...they didn't have cars, or any other way to evacuate, so they hunkered down and hoped for the best. They're also saying that it may be a long time before we know how many have died in NO...there are areas where they're pushing bodies aside to get to the living.

Money to the Red Cross is one good way to help. Another way is to donate blood. Our local blood banks sent out a call today...all types needed.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
aderyn_du
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

Does anyone know off hand the amount of time one has to wait to donate blood after getting a tattoo? I seem to recall that there *was* one, I just can't remember how long....

~Ad
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin