Do You Play Everyday/Which Whistles/Same?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Do You Play Everyday/Which Whistles/Same?

Post by PhilO »

There has been so much selling and trading of whistles as well as exciting new makers' products that I thought we might see whether we remain steady as a group in the everyday whistles we play over say the last year or so?

I generally play every day (between 15 minutes and an hour and a half, depending on schedule), unless I'm on a vacation that just doesn't allow for it.

The whistles I've played daily have remained fairly constant - Copeland high D, Burke black tip high D, C, Sindt D, C. I've added to these the recently acquired Copeland C (at last a really fine one, thanks to Jim Durdin), the Busman green delrin D (yes, it must be green; they play a bit nicer than the black or yellow :D ), and the Black Diamond C.

I find I stick to the D, C whistles when working on new (to me) tunes or new presentations of the old tunes I already "know," with an occasional foray down to Bflat, G, Low D when in the mood.

What have your recent experiences been?

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Hiya PhilO (can you smell the leather treatment in the background?... mmm... )

I have been keeping my WW and my BSBT Ds close to me at most times since I got them, and playing the Burke or my Howard low D at session.

I still love my Gen Bb, and I haven't lost love fror my O'Brien's, but I just seem to want to play the two new ones right now.

Since I've gotten to the point where I am finally practicing a lot, I am improving more quickly, of course, but I am also wanting to do justice to the whistle as much as my self, so I am sticking with my very favorites.

When I can, I still do a round of playing every one I own that is actually playable, to help keep flexibility and humility, :lol: !
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I pretty much play every day also, whatever time's available.

When I'm not reviewing a whistle, I play all kinds of different whistles for fun...sometimes my Hoover, sometimes the SZBE, often the Chieftain low D, many times a Sweetone, Feadog, or other cheapie. I'll play stuff based upon mood and really just what sound I want to hear.

At session, where I need consistency and volume, my whistles of choice have been Silkstone, Abell, and Copeland. Nothing else really quite cuts the mustard for me.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Total pratice time is about one hour or more. Around twenty minutes each time. I play my Greenwood high d and Overton low d most of the time. Then for backpacking or camping I have some cpvc whistles I made.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

I play every day, generally one from about five or six whistles, depending on what is on my desk at any given moment. Over the last year (at least) the choices have been consistent: my main practice whistles are my O'Riordan Eb, Water Weasel Bb, and WW A; also my O'Riordan D if it is out of my backpack (it is the whistle I always play in sessions, but as a result, it's not always the first whistle at hand when I am home practising). In the last month (ie ever since I've gotten it) I've also added my new O'Riordan low E to the mix.

Actually, not counting the new low E, I think those have more or less been my usual practice and performance whistles since late 2002 (which was when I got the O'Riordan Eb).
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Oh my Annie, if my wife reads the first part of your post, she could get the wrong idea :) You are prohibited from further playing....back to the leather works with ye... :D

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

PhilO wrote:Oh my Annie, if my wife reads the first part of your post, she could get the wrong idea :) You are prohibited from further playing....back to the leather works with ye... :D

Philo
LOL! it's the facing for your whistle roll tubes... I finally figured how to do that... nothing nearly so untwoard as enquiring minds might wish they knew... :lol: :lol:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Fishie

Post by Fishie »

I play just about everyday. Sometime for a solid hour, sometimes just a few tunes. I just play my nickel feadog with hoover cap. I'm also splitting time with learning flute...
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I play nearly every day, anywhere from a few minutes to an hour (not counting session night where it's two-plus hours).

I mainly play my Oak or my Burke Session D, but also pick up my White Cap Oak or White Cap Gen or the O'Briain Feadog sometimes if they're closer. I also doodle on the Sweetone C and the Gen Bb White Cap and once a month or so I play the Dixon low D.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
dapple

Post by dapple »

I probably average about an hour of practice on weekdays and more on the weekends. I currently start with my Burke high D aluminum or composite or a Burke C aluminum narrow bore. Eventually I move on to a Burke Bb composite and Overton high D or mezzo A. I like practicing on a variety of whistles and hearing how a tune sounds in another key and through a different material. I have a couple of low whistles but haven’t played them much; I’m not quite ready to enter that realm in earnest.

I have become like a lot of people here: I have a whistle in my car, one in my truck, one in my briefcase, some at my desk and in the living room, and a couple next to my bed. At the end of each day, I get into bed and play a couple of tunes before turning off the light. My cat, Odin, listens intently and when I finish playing, he claps his paws, and I give him a few treats for being such a good audience. (OK, maybe he doesn’t actually clap his paws.)
~ David
Pete D

Post by Pete D »

I play everyday. I've been playing for at least an hour everyday, but within the last two or so days I've decided I need to take a bit of a break. So I've calmed down a bit with this whole wistle/ITM thing a bit.

When I do play...I usually play either my soprano D Acorn whistle or soprano D plastic Dixon whistle. I also play a Generation C whistle occasionally and once in a blue moon I play my Bb Genration whistle.

:)
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I try to play at least a little everyday. I play a Feadog brass D more than any other. I also play my Humphreys Eb almost everyday. I love the Eb even more than the D. When the neighbors are upstairs I play my Alba Q1. Others are played from time to time but these are the most consistently played. The other day I took a notion and played my Clarke original, Sweetone and Meg. That is something I don't do very often.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
barbuck

Post by barbuck »

I try to alternate between my whistles when I practice; I can't stand the thought of any of them sitting around going unused! When I'm just piddling around or learning new stuff, I usually play high D's or C's.

It's another story when I'm practicing music for our band. We usually fit the key of our songs to the particular singer's voice, so besides D & C (the majority), I practice on A, F, G & low D whistles for those particular songs.
BAR
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Interesting thread!

I try to play at least a few minutes every day, but my schedule doesn't always allow it. Of my nine whistles, there are four I play regularly, though I usually don't play all four every time I practice. Lately, the one that's been getting the most time is my Greenwood blackwood high D. The other three that get play time are Busmans: ironwood D, ironwood C, and black delrin D. (I'll probably eventually sell the five whistles I don't play, but there's been such a glut of "for sale" posts lately that I've decided to wait a while.)

John
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I play when I can which is everyday the amount of time varies. I have my favorites which are my Burke DASBT, the Syn Set especcially the High E, the Cheiftan Low F, the Merlin Low D (when I neecd the Low D), but mostly I play my new Geert Lejune Flute. That is pretty much what my favorites are.