Newish Declan Affley CD

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Wombat
antispam: No

Newish Declan Affley CD

Post by Wombat »

This CD is not really ITM so I'll mention it here. I just came by a CD of very rough live recordings by the late Irish-Australian folk singer Declan Affley. Passionate, funny and immensely charming, this is Affley at his best. I would imagine that Clancys-Dublinners fans would love this music.

For fans of Louis McManus, there is a fine set of airs where he plays mandolin sharing melody with Sean Gilroy (fiddle) and Chris Wendt (whistle.)

The CD is entitled Vintage Live Recordings and is issued by the Australian Folk Archive. For those who've never heard of Affley, here is a biography. The cover of the CD is the 3rd illustration down.

http://jam.org.au/moxie/articles/miscar ... ramb.shtml
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Is there any piping on it? During the early 80s Geoff Wooff told me lots of stories of Declan and I remember when he died. I never heard any of his music though.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Peter Laban wrote:Is there any piping on it? During the early 80s Geoff Wooff told me lots of stories of Declan and I remember when he died. I never heard any of his music though.
No, no piping Peter. That's unfortunate; it would have been interesting. He played a Bb set given to him in 1970. He plays guitar to accompany his singing on most tracks and rather quirky fiddle on a couple—an odd version of King of the Fairies for example.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Wombat wrote: No, no piping Peter. That's unfortunate; it would have been interesting. He played a Bb set given to him in 1970.
He had a big Harrington set it was nicknamed 'The Limerick gasworks' by some.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Peter Laban wrote:
Wombat wrote: No, no piping Peter. That's unfortunate; it would have been interesting. He played a Bb set given to him in 1970.
He had a big Harrington set it was nicknamed 'The Limerick gasworks' by some.
:lol: I can imagine. Declan was no virtuoso on any instrument so I imagine his piping was 'interesting.' But his musicality, humour and heart shine through on everything he did so that it's easy to ignore the technical deficiencies. He could be a really moving singer. I love his version of the Foggy Dew on this CD.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

I'll have to get a copy of this, looks interesting.

King of the Fairies was the first tune I learned on the fiddle and Wombats spelling of Dubliners would have sold me the idea anytime :wink:

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

dubhlinn wrote:I'll have to get a copy of this, looks interesting.

King of the Fairies was the first tune I learned on the fiddle and Wombats spelling of Dubliners would have sold me the idea anytime :wink:

Slan,
D.
Oops. :oops:

Thys shulde helpe yew owt.

http://www.celt.com.au/austcd.html