first flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
talimirr743
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

first flute

Post by talimirr743 »

What should I get as my first flute? :-?
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

First! Ask these questions of yourself and please give us some more information, so that someone here can help you please.

Have you played a flute before?
Is it a wooden flute that you want?
Do you play the whistle now or another instrument?
What do you want to play on the flute?
Do you have a certain amount that you want to spend?
Is the flute going to be your main instrument or something that play occassionally?
Why do you want a flute?

If you can answer the above questions for us, someone here can help you. There are flutes at all levels, different woods/delrin etc. , keyed and unkeyed, and on and on.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
talimirr743

Post by talimirr743 »

Lets try this again.

I have never played the flute before. I would like a wooden flute, yes. I do play the whistle. I'll play anything I can on it. Price between $100-$200.
The whistle and the flute would be my main instruments. I want a flute because I have never played one, but would like to learn.

How 'bout now? :)
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Yes, let's try this again!

I asked those questions to save you time and maybe some embarassment from a question that has been asked many, many times before by those like you that are interested in playing the flute. A lot of forum members won't even bother to read your post because they have answered it to many times and have asked and answered the same questions over and over, they will just tell you to do a search on the forum for the answers.

You won't find much in beginners wooden flute for the price range that you have stated, for $250 US + shipping, I highly recommend Casey Burns Folk flute, go here:

http://www.caseyburnsflutes.com/ff.php

In Canada and Canadian dollars I highly recommend Richard Cox of London Ontario Canada for wooden flutes for students in Burn's price range.

http://www.richardcox.ca

You asked! One word of caution flippiness and snarkness don't go a long way on this board. You asked for help, I tried to ease that for you, in asking the questions I did but since you are so sure of yourself, I guess you can figure it out from here.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

For your price range I'd recommend Doug Tipples flutes. They are pvc cylindrical and a wedge insert is an option which I would recommend. Do a search on Tipple flutes here at C&F. A Tipple D was my first and I now have 2. They arent wooden but are very appropriate for playing IT (as well as other types).
Also, used Sweets and similar wooden flutes can be occaisionly found for around $200.00.
Last edited by toughknot on Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I shall never bitter be so long as I can laugh at me.
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

Get a Tipple PVC or an Olwell bamboo, both under $100.00 US.

By the time you learn how to get the sound you want consistantly many things will have changed.
  • You will be 2 to 3 years older, or more
    Your budget may be bigger
    You will have a much better idea of...
This could go on too long.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Or a Ralph Sweet intro model.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The Casey Burns Beginner's flute at 250 or so beats the
competition, IMO, and you can sell it when you move up.
talimirr743

Post by talimirr743 »

Whoa Mark, I wasn't trying to be flippie, or snarkie; I just don't know anything about flutes. I don't have much time to read the different posts. So just cool it. I appreciate your reply, but I don't know where you get off calling me flippie or snarkie!