Clarke Whistle - Newbi Questions

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
velroc

Clarke Whistle - Newbi Questions

Post by velroc »

Hi All,

First thanks for the replies to couple newbie questions I have posted so far..

I'm slowly learning a few child tunes, (Mary had a little lamb) so I can see progress. Since I'm 63 my wife thinks I am reverting to being child again, she may be right :)

I'm using a Waltons Mellow D which is Freeman tweaked which seems to work ok. Got it from Ebay and happy I bought it.

I recently also bought off Ebay old Clarke Set (old box anyway) that looked like it was never used, I mainly bought it for the instruction book and tape for learning and very happy with that part of it.

My question is about the Clarke Whistle that came with set, its a peice of rolled tin, bigger at the fipple end and the fipple is a square block of wood wedged in the end with wnd splinter just bent down a bit.

Now I can see where "penny" came from, but seriously, is this the original style of construction when they were first invented ? Do any serious whistle players use this type of whistle now ?

I'm also a HAM radio operator and I know many in the hobby take great pleasure in using old and very simple transmitters/receivers.

Is this the place these whistle hold in this new found hobby ?

Also even the better whistles are fairly economical, is that the trend to keep it simple rather then spend $100's of dollors and making a silver fipple and whistle with adjustments that would rival a swiss watch.

Thanks,
Bob
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Yes, many players still use Clarke whistles. I myself go through periods in which I find I prefer the warm breathy tone.

I think you'll find, however, that because the conical whistle isn't as loud as a tubular model, they don't tend to get played as much in sessions or on stage.

Which is a pity.

We Irish fluters make much of the fact that conical-bore flutes have a much better tone than the stright-tube boehm flute, at least for Irish music. However, when it comes to whistles, too many players (IMO) reverse this, and avoid the conical Clarke for straight-bore generation-style whistles. It makes little sense to me.

SOmetimes I think that it's a matter pof cost--someone should make a really expensive rolled-tin whistle and it'll become the "must have" in the whistle collecting set.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

Hi Bob. Yep that's the original design, I believe, and I for one really like the Clarke, esp. with respect to its lovely tone and appearance. If you get one that's a bit sharp along the bottom rolled edge that can be a bit of an annoyance.

Many terrific players use "cheap" whistles (Clarke, Faedog, Walton. Generation, etc.) and make them sound heavenly. Some use more expensive mid road cost whistles and others also use top of the line whistles that are high in cost. No rules or generalizations seem to apply other than most of us seem to enjoy trying out lots of different whistles.

I love them all :moreevil:

Best,

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

As far as I know, Clarke's been making them much like that since the mid-1800s
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

s1m0n wrote: I think you'll find, however, that because the conical whistle isn't as loud as a tubular model, they don't tend to get played as much in sessions or on stage.
Hmmm, not sure I agree with the conical vs cylindrical having anything to do with volume.

The Copeland whistle is conical and is head and shoulders louder than anything else I've ever played. But then they're a bit spendier than your average Clarke. :D

Having said that, I do agree that Clarkes are wonderful you just need to mic them. My first whistle was a Clarke original and the rest...as they say.. is history. You might also enjoy a tweaked Clarke from the whistle shop. Thom works wonders with them. :)

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

The way they are made has more to do with volume. Itis harder to make a Conical whistle.
AiglosCelt
Tell us something.: Man this is a hell of a hoop to jump through, I can't believe I have to actually type 100 characters in this box in order to edit my profile. What a world, dude.

Post by AiglosCelt »

I am absolutely in love with clarkes...they get the absolute best tone of any low-end whistle I've ever played...I still use them often when I record music :D
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

The Clarke original design is my absolute favorite in soprano whistles.

I find them loud enough for sessions. It is amazing how well it will project. I only need a louder whistle with accordians..... but I will occasionally break out the Burke brass blacktip Session Pro in a loud session or unamplified gig.
Key_of_D

Clarkes

Post by Key_of_D »

Clarkes are pretty much the only thing I play. With the exception of a Generation Bb, F, and G. And I have a Shaw Eb, which is very breathy. Haven't been able to find a good Eb relatively cheep. I own a Nickle Generation Eb, but it's horrible. Anyways back to Clarkes, I love them. They're great whistles for the money if you ask me. Especially a brand new Meg in D. For 3$, that's the best whistle you can buy. At least in my experience to date. I wish Clarkes were made in many other keys. I think a Clarke G with the wood fipple would sound sweet. But that's me. Enjoy your whistling!
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I usually do not like Clarke whistles. However, because of this thread I got out my Original, a Sweetone and a C Meg. I thoroughly enjoyed playing them today. A good whistle is one you enjoy playing no one elses experience really counts.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.