Polluting/spamming the forums

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

The Weekenders wrote:And don't worry, its about to slip down the page.
Not if people keep replying to say they like words like "moot". Or to point out that it won't slip down the page if people keep replying... oh crap. Now I'm doing it. I feel like a Knight of Ni who keeps saying "it".
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

Boy, Slude, way to keep it up there. I would NEVER do that...nyuk...

Hey, I did have a semi-serious thought though. Maybe it's healthy for this thread to have allowed people to just get it out there.. Like Jefferson's liberty tree, being fertilized by the blood of patriots, the Chifflands health has been reassured by a little opinionated blood-letting....albeit moot. There is something therapeutic about screaming so loud that you end up being a bit sheepish for having made so much noise...
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Wow. Just wow. There are so many who can't see the forrest for the trees. This isn't about being an "old timer"...it's about the volume and substance of the board. I've been through something like four mesage board changes with C&F if I recall anything close to correctly, and there was never any trouble with multitudes of posts being off topic or out of line. We've always had our moments from time to time, and I remember some pretty fierce battles with Loren and JessieK way aback then...stuff I feel pretty silly about now - knowing how much knowledge they both had and were sharing regularly. Teri K taught me an awful lot about phrasing and intonation from her recordings and extremely helpful and supportive messages and emails. I have met many of the posters here over the years and talked to many many more over the phone.

But this type of posting looks as if its becoming more rare all the time. There were some great musicians, as well as makers who posted on a pretty regular basis. Regional gatherings took place with an amazing basis (and a great chance to meet fellow C&F readers and share a love for the music - no matter how well you played....or didn't play).

This is in NO way a solem cry for the "days of yore" as it were - just a simple observation that Murphy wasn't as far off base as many would seemingly insinuate.

Dale, I continue to applaud all you've done for the whistling world as a whole. I think C&F is still a wonderful resource for information about whistes and gorilla breeding tactics. I think you need a llama section too. But it does become more and more difficult to direct new students, or even older seasoned players unfamilliar with the site towards the direction of the boards for easy to find insight.

As has been pointed out, the volume of traffic has slowed on the other boards after the creation of this "pub". As it stands, this forum contains more than half the number of threads of the flute or pipe forums - both of which were created years ago. And the pub was put into effect, what...a few months ago? The volume of "pub" related chat is amazing when compared to the other musical forums.

Whatever happens, I'll continue to watch my place fall in the total post ranks no doubt. It's not that I personally miss the old board feel so much, as I miss the old board posters, who could find ways to chat about most anything and still keep things whistle related on the whole. Their reasons for leaving are their own, but their input is sorely missed.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

The Weekenders wrote:Boy, Slude, way to keep it up there. I would NEVER do that...nyuk...
:lol:
The Weekenders wrote:There is something therapeutic about screaming so loud that you end up being a bit sheepish for having made so much noise...
And it's a good bit healthier than punching your fist through a wall, like one of my high school teachers did when he found out his teenaged daughter was pregnant. (No, I was not involved.)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
emmline

Post by emmline »

chas wrote: Also, label threads with something descriptive, something more than "interesting."
I will second, third, and fourth that. Grabber headlines which at least hint at the content. This takes creativity, and I've seen a bit of that here!
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Brian Lee wrote:As has been pointed out, the volume of traffic has slowed on the other boards after the creation of this "pub".
Yes, it has. Because the off-topic posts went elsewhere. That was the Big Plan, after all.
Whatever happens, I'll continue to watch my place fall in the total post ranks no doubt.
That looks like it might be the crux of your problem. You're upset because you aren't as much a mover and shaker as you used to be. You wanted to talk about A, B, and C, but things have changed and there isn't much room to talk about A, B, and C, because the new guys are all talking about X, Y, and Z.

If you want to talk about A, B, and C, then how about you start some threads about them? Hmmm? Be proactive. If you want to talk about it, then talk about it.

Or, you can do what I do and just hijack threads to your own ends.

Either way. . . your choice. Just don't sit there whining because people aren't coming to play in your yard or, when they do, they aren't bringing you the kind of toys you like.
Last edited by Lambchop on Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cotelette d'Agneau
emmline

Post by emmline »

Primal SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAM!
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Lambchop wrote:
Cynth wrote:Hi izzy---You are a responsible person in real life and so now you feel responsible for driving away the "old timers". GET REAL DUDETTE!!!

I second this, Izz! It wasn't you who drove away the "old timers." Nope. Far from it.
I just wanted to clear something up here. I really wasn't trying to get anyone to say "Aw...poor Izz!" I actually miss quite a few of the people who posted on a regular basis that don't come back now. I have gained tons of insight from quite a few of them (despite my rather short period of time here...I have been "around" long enough to remember some of those that have since left), and I am very grateful for that insight. And it does make me sad to know that they left because of something I might have contributed to (I realize, Brian, that Jack's original post had quite a few more trees than the one I am pointing out at this very moment...I'm not quite as clueless as you might think. This was just one aspect of his post that hit home with ME). I am in no way thinking that I am to blame, or that anyone else is to blame really. I just miss a lot of the informational type postings that would come through frequently.
I take my music very seriously...but this doesn't mean that I don't take other aspects of my life seriously. Life is very short, and I for one am trying to make the best of it. The friendships that I have made here have been such a wonderful addition to my life, and I am forever grateful for them. One of the greatest parts to these friendships has been finding out that while I shared a love of ITM and whistles with the people who post here, I also share a love of many other things with them. I can talk to the people here about quite a few things that I am passionate about, and I love that fact. Some of those things are rather silly, I'll admit. But quite a few others are very near and dear to my heart, and it's so exciting at times to find other people who share in your passion in them.
Anyway, this is becoming yet another epic length post, and I would prefer not to go that far yet again. Thank you, Jack, for taking the time to post about your frustrations. While I may not agree with you 100% in what you said, I do admire you for taking the time to voice your opinions.

Edited to say, thank you to Cynth and Lambchop for thinking about me, in their posts :) I did mean to say that before, but I forgot :P
Last edited by izzarina on Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

emmline wrote:Primal SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAM!
Thank you emm...I think that is just what the doctor ordered
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Denny

Post by Denny »

izzarina wrote:
very timely :D
Denny

Post by Denny »

DaleWisely wrote:Folks, ... This is the fastest-growing, most hotly debated, entirely moot thread I've ever seen.
It keeps the donkeys employed
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Ah, nevermind.
Last edited by Cynth on Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Brian Lee wrote:Wow. Just wow. There are so many who can't see the forrest for the trees. This isn't about being an "old timer"...it's about the volume and substance of the board. I've been through something like four mesage board changes with C&F if I recall anything close to correctly, and there was never any trouble with multitudes of posts being off topic or out of line. We've always had our moments from time to time, and I remember some pretty fierce battles with Loren and JessieK way aback then...stuff I feel pretty silly about now - knowing how much knowledge they both had and were sharing regularly. Teri K taught me an awful lot about phrasing and intonation from her recordings and extremely helpful and supportive messages and emails. I have met many of the posters here over the years and talked to many many more over the phone.

But this type of posting looks as if its becoming more rare all the time. There were some great musicians, as well as makers who posted on a pretty regular basis. Regional gatherings took place with an amazing basis (and a great chance to meet fellow C&F readers and share a love for the music - no matter how well you played....or didn't play).

This is in NO way a solem cry for the "days of yore" as it were - just a simple observation that Murphy wasn't as far off base as many would seemingly insinuate.

Dale, I continue to applaud all you've done for the whistling world as a whole. I think C&F is still a wonderful resource for information about whistes and gorilla breeding tactics. I think you need a llama section too. But it does become more and more difficult to direct new students, or even older seasoned players unfamilliar with the site towards the direction of the boards for easy to find insight.

As has been pointed out, the volume of traffic has slowed on the other boards after the creation of this "pub". As it stands, this forum contains more than half the number of threads of the flute or pipe forums - both of which were created years ago. And the pub was put into effect, what...a few months ago? The volume of "pub" related chat is amazing when compared to the other musical forums.

Whatever happens, I'll continue to watch my place fall in the total post ranks no doubt. It's not that I personally miss the old board feel so much, as I miss the old board posters, who could find ways to chat about most anything and still keep things whistle related on the whole. Their reasons for leaving are their own, but their input is sorely missed.
Oh, Holy Yikes, Brian Let's try it this way: Pretend it's your board. Give me your plan of action to solve this problem in operational terms.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

izzarina wrote:
Yeah. What she said.
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Lambchop wrote:
Brian Lee wrote:As has been pointed out, the volume of traffic has slowed on the other boards after the creation of this "pub".
Yes, it has. Because the off-topic posts went elsewhere. That was the Big Plan, after all.
Uh...forrest for the trees. This wasn't a problem until recently. It's the sheer volume of OT posts - one so large they required their own forum that has me baffled.

Lambchop wrote:
Whatever happens, I'll continue to watch my place fall in the total post ranks no doubt.
That looks like it might be the crux of your problem. You're upset because you aren't as much a mover and shaker as you used to be. You wanted to talk about A, B, and C, but things have changed and there isn't much room to talk about A, B, and C, because the new guys are all talking about X, Y, and Z.

If you want to talk about A, B, and C, then how about you start some threads about them? Hmmm? Be proactive. If you want to talk about it, then talk about it.
There is absolutely NO problem with my place in the posting heierarchy - in all actuallity I wish I was much lower! Don't know what you're on about with the "mover and shaker" comment. There are plenty of us who contribute to all sorts of threads here - have done for years. We've been talking about A,B & C as you put it on a board created to talk about A, B & C! NOT a board created to talk about X,Y & Z. there are countless other forums on this wide internet for those discussions. - There's only one C&F.
Lambchop wrote:Or, you can do what I do and just hijack threads to your own ends.

Either way. . . your choice. Just don't sit there whining because people aren't coming to play in your yard or, when they do, they aren't bringing you the kind of toys you like.
Who's whining?? :roll: There are plenty of people in the yard - but fewer willing (or perhaps able?) to make posts related to what C&F was created to do - promote whistles and the music surrounding them in general. If someone's talking during a lecture, or concert or what have you, the others who came for the purpose of learning or listening will be understandably upset the longer they do it - particularly if they are told by the offender that "if they don't like it - then just leave the class/concert!"

C&F does have a focus of music and related subjects. Or...at least it used to.