whistle abuse

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
andymac
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

whistle abuse

Post by andymac »

One of the main advantages of playing an instrument such as penny whistle is the relative cheapness of the instrument. Unfortunately, in my case, this also leads to whistle abuse - by which I mean the frustrations of trying to play, improve , hit the high notes cleanly, perform ornamentation are taken out on the whistle itself. The first occurance of this with me was with a Generation. A period of gradual improvement was swiftly followed by a seemingly rapid decline - a sudden realisation that everything I was playing was absolute garbage....the Generation was bent double over my knee, bent again and then snapped in two.

A trend was begun.

In the last year I have destroyed approximately 15/20 of the little buggers

Generations, Clarke Oringinals, 2/3 Sweetones, a clare

I've ventured into buying mid-range whistles - thinking its the cheapness of the whistle that causes me to play so badly, to get so frustrated.

I can report that a susato doesn't bend like brass...they just snap softly

To my horror I can report that a Dixon metal body doesn't snap at all - but the head does break off if you apply enough pressure.

I can report that a Freeman tweaked Generation bends just as easily as an untweaked one. Also, it was snapped within 2 hours of receiving - whereas a shop bought Generation lasted weeks without annoying the hell out of me.

Horror of horrors, I must have been out of my mind, I ordered a Burke.

It arrived.

It lasted half an hour - an awful experience, one of the worst whistles i've ever played

I've gone back to Clares and Generations- they sound pretty good - they are very cheap - their sound doesn't annoy the hell out of me. They get bent occasionally, but their cheapness, their ability to procuce anything at all, their "musicality" keeps them alive the longest. And for that I admire them, even cherish them a little. But only a little.

Am I totally alone in this?

Do I need psychiatric help?

What is the most expensive whistle that you have trashed?
fancypiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I have a few "bannana" original Clarke C and D whistles.

I hate it when I sit down on one that is in good tune. It usually takes ordering 1/2 dozen to get one or two in good tune (to the band's concertina).

Which Burke did you destroy? I have the black tipped brass Session Pro that I play with uillean pipers (or loud sessions), but I mostly play the Clarke whistles. The Burke feels too "hefty" to destroy like that.

I also have some Mack Hoover whistles (low E,F and G, soprano C# and B) and Blacktops for my Generation C and Bb whistles that are very hard to put down (expecially the B), but I got these to match the pipes and other odd music that I can fit onto the whistle.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Put the whistles down and back slowly away with your hands up.

Git 'im boys!

edited to add : OK... now my serious response...

Put the whistles down and back slowly away ... and get with a counselor/therapist who can help you with your serious anger issues.

No Joke.

If your post was not really just a joke, then your problem is not either. It is not the whistles that 'dont' play well', but you who are not patient with *yourself* enough to allow for genuine practice and genuine improvement. The destroying of the 'offending instrument' is just displaced aggression, and if you allow yourself to continue with this very unhealthy manner of "dealing" with your frustrations, it will escalate and you will end up with far more trouble than you can imagine... and you don't deserve that.

When you learn how to forgive yourself for what is now percieved as 'failing', but is really just part of the natural learning process, you will make loads of progress, both personally and with your playing.
Last edited by anniemcu on Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Let's see, remove this andymac guy from the list of potential people to trade whistles with.....

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Well, I love my Burke. Don't take up Flute or Pipes because both are way more expensive and way harder to play. Next time you feel like destroying a whistle send it to me I might like it keep some spare cheapies for breaking.
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Two lessons I have learned in life:
1) if you put your guitar in it's case, ALWAYS close at least one of the latches, and
2) don't lay an instrument down on something that could remotely be used by anyone as a seat.
Those two rules have stood me in good stead...up to now.
Mike
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I can get mad when trying to fix something and I once trashed a sliding screen door. My loss of control cost me a lot of money and time. Now when I start getting mad I WALK AWAY. Okay, a couple of times my husband has pulled me away.

I have gotten mighty frustrated with the whistle, but it hasn't occurred to me to bust one. It isn't the whistle's fault that I sound bad---and believe me I know what you are talking about. Musical instruments seem sort of sacred to me. Look, if you have broken 15-20 whistles in the past year I think that's enough, don't you? Maybe you should just put the whistle down when you get mad and go do something else. Come here and go on a rant. Please, spare those poor whistles!!!
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

I got into the habit of tapping my "problem" whistles against my head.

Then I bought a Chieftain.

I play a lot better now...
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
Henke

Post by Henke »

Hmm, I have pretty bad anger attacks, but I rarely take it out on my instruments. There have been some points when I've gotten really frustrated and banged my fists bloody against a concrete wall, but I've never taken it out on musical instruments or people (except at Taekwon-Do practice when I get to bet up people, only not too bad, and of course you have protecting gloves and shoes on then.) Now that I think of it, the times when I bang my fist against the wall are usually when I sit by the Play Station 2 and fail to win the race/die at the same place/get fooled by the same AI over and over again. Gaming consoles can be hugely frustrating, don't know why musical instruments aren't the same for me. It's not because I'm "that" good, because I'm not...
Last edited by Henke on Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Frustration is an inevitable part of life, but taking it out on the object that is not responsible for your frustration isn't too good. Not only is it a waste of money (and good whistles!), but it's going to ruin your health.

More to the point, it's going to get you arrested if it expands into larger forms, like animal abuse, domestic violence, and road rage.

There are constructive techniques for managing anger, like recognizing that it's not the fault of the whistle, exiting the situation, and getting some vigorous exercise.
Cotelette d'Agneau
talasiga

Re: whistle abuse

Post by talasiga »

andymac wrote:.......Am I totally alone in this?

What is the most expensive whistle that you have trashed?
For flute and whistle players having a hand drum around is better than a psychiatrist I reckon. When you're frustrated with pipes get into pure rhythm with your drum/s. Played properly its therapeutic for your wrists, fingers and hands in general and a good counter to the tension of sustaining pipe posture. Anmd you will be surprised how the rhythm workout does serendipities with your melodic practise later on.

I would also recommend dancing.

Otherwise go to the beach and punch the sand. Dive into the sea just where you reckon there is a rip (undertow) and thank the Sirens you found yourself safely to the rocky southeren headland. Tis funny how frustration flees from the face of peril ......

Tallow Beach, just south of Byron lighthouse is one of the many places in Eastern Australia renowned for rips.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Butterfly

Re: whistle abuse

Post by Butterfly »

andymac wrote:
Yes, I think you do. You suffer from WHOA ( WHistle Obsessive Abuse disorder :wink: )
:) Rini
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Whoever heard of a punk whistle band where the musos bend their pipes and smash their beaks?
Bit of a double anachronism, don't you think?
:lol:
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
emmline

Post by emmline »

Please don't get an Overton or you might hurt yourself!
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Maybe he SHOULD get one of Serpent's Shop Smithy chromoly whistles. THAT might cure his problem...... at least the breaking problem. :roll:
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus