Pipes and The Maker

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
L42B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Pipes and The Maker

Post by L42B »

Hi Everyone

How do you get pipemakers to make you a set e.g. without paying. As many of the albums that I have say that this player plays X pipers sets. I've also heared of some pipemakers just making sets for people. Just because the feel like it. Ian Mackenzie has sent out a few Bb chanters as promo sets. As I'd really like a flat pitch set at some stage in the near future.

So how do you twist a pipemaker into making you a set for free. Apart from bribing them ;). As I can't see myself having the funding for a flat pitch set of pipes anytime soon.

EDIT: Just to let you know that Patrick payed full rice for his K&Q set. Sory if I embarresed anyone.

Just Curiouse, Cheers L42B :D
Last edited by L42B on Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I dunno, I've always found that a sufficient amount of high explosives can always be handy, however, a hand gun is usually easier to set up and use.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

You could pratice ,pratice ,pratice .Become the best piper that has ever been and then makers will be throwing pipes at you !!!

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
djm

Post by djm »

I think you're on the right track, Rory, but it goes beyond just being good on the pipes. You'd also have to be well known for being good on the pipes. It would also help to be good on the pipes, well known and influential in the ITM community. That would make you a primo target for loss leaders, free preview chanters/sets, trips to exotic locations, chocolate covered dancing girls, and all the other marketing techniques we have come to expect in a free enterprise capitalistic system.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
DMQuinn

Re: Pipes and The Maker

Post by DMQuinn »

L42B wrote:Hi Everyone

How do you get pipemakers to make you a set e.g. without paying. As many of the albums that I have say that this player plays X pipers sets. I've also heared of some pipemakers just making sets for people. Just because the feel like it. Ian Mackenzie has sent out a few Bb chanters as promo sets. I also understand that somehow Patrick D'Arcy was given a K&Q pipes (any comments David). As I'd really like a flat pitch set at some stage in the near future.

So how do you twist a pipemaker into making you a set for free. Apart from bribing them ;). As I can't see myself having the funding for a flat pitch set of pipes anytime soon.

Just Curiouse, Cheers L42B :D
I, for one, am seriously regretting having given Patrick D'Arcy that shiny big set for free. He had some pretty darned embarrassing photographs of me at a quilting bee, and there are some things even a defrocked priest such as myself cannot afford to let get out in public.

But, for constructive suggestions: It shouldn't be too difficult to twist a pipemaker as you suggest, because most of them are more or less twisted to begin with. Bribing doesn't usually work unless a lot of money is involved.

I hope this helps.
Last edited by DMQuinn on Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph E. Smith

djm wrote:... chocolate covered dancing girls...

... that wouldn't hurt either I'm guessing... of course, that would depend on the personal taste of said maker. :lol:
tommykleen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

DMQuinn wrote:... He had some pretty darned embarrassing photographs of me at a quilting bee...
This I gotta see!

t
No E

Post by No E »

tommykleen wrote:
DMQuinn wrote:... He had some pretty darned embarrassing photographs of me at a quilting bee...
This I gotta see!

t
No, I don't think you (or anyone else) wants to see these pictures
the horror, THE HORROR!

see No Evil
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
mukade

Post by mukade »

I have had a couple of free sets of pipes from a maker.

Here's how to do it.

1) Make sure you are born next door to a pipemaker.

2) Spend at least twenty years cultivating a relationship by being a cute kid, then a interested teenager, then by drinking homebrew in his workshop and attending piping meetings and performances together.

3) Move very far away, the other side of the earth in my case, and when you come home once a year, always pay a visit, bring some small gifts, and crack open a few cans while reviewing his latest work.

4) Feed the cat when he is away on holiday.

In my case, the pipemaker makes Northumbrian pipes, harps and other instruments, but if you follow these four easy steps, you too may find some free uilleann pipes on your lap.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

L42B wrote:I also understand that somehow Patrick D'Arcy was given a K&Q pipes (any comments David).
Yes, I always insist on my pipemakers providing me with free pipes. You should do the same. These guys make enough money from the common folk and we deserve better than the smelly man on the street (or woman, excuse me ladies).

Seriously though...... what the hell are you smoking? :o I paid dearly for the set, every penny. I do believe them to be worth more than I paid but that is just down to uilleann pipe inflation. But I still paid twice what I paid for my Wooff set five years previously (almost to the day).

I want to laugh but find it hard at such an ignorant comment. :boggle: I use that word in it's true sense not in it's slanderous sense. No knowledge to back it up.

Maybe I should be flattered. You think I am of *that* calibre. I don't know.

Patrick.
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Just shooting in the dark here but could L42B be referring to the occasional chanter that might be loaned to a pipers club as a sort of field test?
PJ
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

No.
L42B

Post by L42B »

Exactly what I mean PJ. Well I wouldn't be able to comment on tone of a flat set. I've only so fare played a Wooff C# set and a Mackenzie C chanter. I would be able to say that, ouch the set takes to much air, Or it isn't easie to tune, or this happens at this point in my playing. You get the picture. So if there is any pipemaker out their who might offer me a new C#, C or Bb set to test. Just pm me :D.

Patrick my above post has been edited (apologies).

Cheers L42B :)
Joseph E. Smith

L42B wrote:Exactly what I mean PJ...
Perhaps you might want to choose your words more carefully next time... I promise that I will do the same for any future response that I make, or any future post I submit.
glands

Post by glands »

Interesting thread.

There are only two ways to get free pipes as far as I'm concerned.......

but I won't tell you.