Yes & No Answers Only Please

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.

Yes or no?

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes: 49

Patrick D'Arcy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Renaming it is perfectly fine by me.

PD.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

JES wrote:Then how about renaming it then?
Gee, that's a good idea, Joe. May I also suggest that you lock this thread to keep the chatter out. There's already probably too much there as it is. It should be edited down to just the facts.

Anyone who wants to add or update this new locked FAQs for Newbies thread would have to submit a written proposal (with character references) to the FAQ Committee, that only meets every other month (unless there's something good on tv), who would appraise the proposal and vote on it, and, only if there was a majority vote for the proposal, would then forward the proposal on to the FAQ Steering Committee, the Politically Correct FAQ Review Board, and the Moderators' Pension Fund for full review by the experts, and then, if everybody agrees, and technology hasn't made the Internet redundant by then, forward it to the moderator for inclusion on the FAQs for Newbies thread (which is otherwise locked).

Or they could just forward their suggestions to the moderator for inclusion.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

djm wrote:
JES wrote:Then how about renaming it then?
Gee, that's a good idea, Joe. May I also suggest that you lock this thread to keep the chatter out. There's already probably too much there as it is. It should be edited down to just the facts.

Anyone who wants to add or update this new locked FAQs for Newbies thread would have to submit a written proposal (with character references) to the FAQ Committee, that only meets every other month (unless there's something good on tv), who would appraise the proposal and vote on it, and, only if there was a majority vote for the proposal, would then forward the proposal on to the FAQ Steering Committee, the Politically Correct FAQ Review Board, and the Moderators' Pension Fund for full review by the experts, and then, if everybody agrees, and technology hasn't made the Internet redundant by then, forward it to the moderator for inclusion on the FAQs for Newbies thread (which is otherwise locked).

Or they could just forward their suggestions to the moderator for inclusion.

djm
... your vote of confidence (well... what can I say?), is quite overwhelming. I am only offering suggestions to alleviate what a lot of people feel is a wearisome issue.

I, personally do not mind answering a host of newbie questions again and again (irritating as it can sometimes be). I have done, and will continue to do so. But...

I think that the point in the original post to this topic, is a plea to those who do not know feck-all (which I can claim guilt to) quit misleading new comers, and passing on absurd and useless information. And better yet, not to pass on baseless rumors that can harm the reputation of a good few of the contributors to this forum.

But, perhaps, I have it all wrong.
Last edited by Joseph E. Smith on Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

I'd like to clarify something here. My initial post was not aimed at newbies. I've been answering these questions online consistently for about ten years. I welcome beginners questions, without them there is no continuation of the tradition. I was talking specifically about folks who've been playing for a year or two who think they know it all already... where is the genetic hiccup that causes this to happen? I've been playing a third of my life but I feel I know very little. Maybe it's my problem :-? NOT! :party:

PD.
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

wolvy wrote:"Heck, when I was your age, I walked 5 miles to school each day in the snow - and 10 miles home again at night." : )
Oh yeah? Well, back when I started programming, we didn't have ones and zeros. I had to use a lower case "L" and the letter "O"!
Cheers,
Mark

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want."
Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes
jqpublick

Post by jqpublick »

Jay-sus....

When I first came to this forum, all giddy and full of joy at actually having found information on the internet about UPs, I was (let's say) really happy. Asked a bunch of dumb questions. Said some things... you know, silly things. Got my hand burned a few times reaching into the fire. And again. And again. (Some people call this 'learning.') Then those who need to see their own words in print, regardless of the validity/relevance of their points/discourse/diatribe started to bug me. Then it got worse. Then I stopped coming. Made me sad, but I just wanted to learn how to play an instrument that noone around me had ever heard of (metaphorically, not literally) and I was tired of trying to glean information out of arguments. After a while I came back, lurking, feeling there was nothing for me to say. And I didn't want to get flamed.

THEN, those whom I think seem to actually know what they are talking about started getting dissed by those who ...ah.... don't. Then punditry occurred. Lots and lots of it. Gobs. Heaps. Then, politics. And on, and on. Now, you want to stop stupid questions? How the hell does one do that?

Jeez, folks, take a pill. Be a little reasonable. If it's a stupid question, don't answer. If it's a misleading poll, don't vote. If you think it's damaging to new players, send the pollster a private message.

I just got back into this forum a while ago and aside from the fact that there is more talk about the construction of the physical object than about the playing of it (yes, yes, for God's sake, learning how to make reeds is important, and when I'm ready/need to I will). I'm already getting tired of reading endless posts about anything but the music. Newcomers who have been reading these posts will quickly figure out that there are a few (dare I say) experienced and talented players here who (literary abitlities aside) are actually willing to answer a complete ignoramus's questions. Good. (And I can't stand pluralization using an apostrophe. Makes me grind my teeth. Kinda like 'orientated'.)

On the other hand, I searched for 'practice exercises' earlier today and got 20 threads. Of those that I've gone through, a few were useful. So how does this aid our playing or understanding of the pipes? My non-sarcastic answer would be 'a bit'.

I deal with people and their problems every day. Seeing the vective (look it up) and spleen spilled daily onto the screen here in this forum, blocking my interest in this forum and my desire to play a few goddamned tunes because I love music frankly makes me sick.

I'm done, and tired

Mark
Joseph E. Smith

jqpublick wrote:Jay-sus....

When I first came to this forum, all giddy and full of joy at actually having found information on the internet about UPs, I was (let's say) really happy. Asked a bunch of dumb questions. Said some things... you know, silly things. Got my hand burned a few times reaching into the fire. And again. And again. (Some people call this 'learning.') Then those who need to see their own words in print, regardless of the validity/relevance of their points/discourse/diatribe started to bug me. Then it got worse. Then I stopped coming. Made me sad, but I just wanted to learn how to play an instrument that noone around me had ever heard of (metaphorically, not literally) and I was tired of trying to glean information out of arguments. After a while I came back, lurking, feeling there was nothing for me to say. And I didn't want to get flamed.

THEN, those whom I think seem to actually know what they are talking about started getting dissed by those who ...ah.... don't. Then punditry occurred. Lots and lots of it. Gobs. Heaps. Then, politics. And on, and on. Now, you want to stop stupid questions? How the hell does one do that?

Jeez, folks, take a pill. Be a little reasonable. If it's a stupid question, don't answer. If it's a misleading poll, don't vote. If you think it's damaging to new players, send the pollster a private message.

I just got back into this forum a while ago and aside from the fact that there is more talk about the construction of the physical object than about the playing of it (yes, yes, for God's sake, learning how to make reeds is important, and when I'm ready/need to I will). I'm already getting tired of reading endless posts about anything but the music. Newcomers who have been reading these posts will quickly figure out that there are a few (dare I say) experienced and talented players here who (literary abitlities aside) are actually willing to answer a complete ignoramus's questions. Good. (And I can't stand pluralization using an apostrophe. Makes me grind my teeth. Kinda like 'orientated'.)

On the other hand, I searched for 'practice exercises' earlier today and got 20 threads. Of those that I've gone through, a few were useful. So how does this aid our playing or understanding of the pipes? My non-sarcastic answer would be 'a bit'.

I deal with people and their problems every day. Seeing the vective (look it up) and spleen spilled daily onto the screen here in this forum, blocking my interest in this forum and my desire to play a few goddamned tunes because I love music frankly makes me sick.

I'm done, and tired

Mark
Thanks for the reality check Mark... I needed it. :thumbsup:
jqpublick

Post by jqpublick »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Thanks for the reality check Mark... I needed it. :thumbsup:
Yer wilcum sirrah,

Mark

Post by Guest »

blah blah, delusions of granduer, blah blah, politics yawn, some may be more experienced than others, but if i think im better than others then i could be in trouble, pipers of the past passed on their experience willingly, perhaps because they had an element of humility, blah de blah, me i just wanna play the pipes & enjoy being part of & the help i have had from experienced members
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Last edited by ausdag on Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

wolvy wrote: p.s. Patrick played a super set of tunes at Monday night's Noel Hill concert. That Quinn - Taylor style set is sounding mighty fine, yes mighty fine!!!! I vote "Yes" to it sounding mighty fine !!!!

pps. Did I mention that it sounded mighty fine????
You went?? Great!!! I was too pooped to go-went to the Hollywood Bowl's JVC Jazz concert and didn't get back home till 12. Made getting up at 0dark30 that Monday really hard; it was an early nite, though I did think about going. Hope to see you at the Tionol.
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

Yes, uh.. no!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUGH!!!!!
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
L42B

Post by L42B »

As a resource this forum is excellent. At the beginning of my piping days I had to decide between a D and a C set. Many of those posts in those threads were emeansly helpfull. Especially when it came to choosing a pipemaker. It was really down to convenience and then the last decision was based on tonal quolity and price, availablitlity etc. Without imput from some very kind members on this forum (Tony being one of them) I probably wouldn't have found such a nice set.

But I can see Patricks point. It can be very annoying to see some of the same questions posted repeatedly. Especially if a person has no prior knowledge of a) pipers sets and b) pipers sets, and make comments just from hear say (yes Patrick i've learnt my lesson :oops: ). There have been a few flamwar threads based around that topic. Not to mention those threads on narrow bore sets that some would remember.

One way that the problem could be solved. Could by re-oppening the FAQ, FAQ, FAQ, FAQ thread and having questions of general knowledged posted there. If people have more technical questions relating to a particular set of pipes and how its constructed. How a tune is played. Or even a certain playing technique. Then they could post in the main piping forum.

However we were all newbies at some stage. I've been newbie bashed on another forum once. For not knowing a previouse thread existed and asking a question about it. Not nice. Thankfully that hasn't happend to me on this forum yet. Even if I have made a few comments on the forum that I now regret :sniffle:. Just my $0.02 cents

Cheers L42B
wolvy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by wolvy »

All this yacking!!! ...and Royce no where to be had!!! Gosh! :o
Joseph E. Smith

wolvy wrote:All this yacking!!! ...and Royce no where to be had!!! Gosh! :o
Goddammitall Royce, where the (substitute your colorful adjective here:)__________ are you?!?!