Whistles of the Stars

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
rich
i see what you did there
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by rich »

All this thinking about the Ideal Whistle has got me thinking about the Big Names that play their whole career on a single cheap whistle -- and got me thinking about what the <i>rest</i> of the Big Names play. So following the style of a teen guitar magazine (which dedicate a page of an interview to the question "So, what gear do you use" -- especially silly amongst teen-guitar-mag interviewees, because the answer is a more detailed version of "Whatever I get paid to endorse" -- but I digress):

What whistles do the Big Names use?

I can get things started (corrections and additions welcome):

Mary Bergin plays Generations.<br>
Joanie Madden mainly plays O'Riordans.<br>
Paddy Moloney plays Generation and Burke.<br>
Cathal McConnell plays Generations.

Okay, someone else's turn. :smile: I'm particularly interested to hear about Big Names that play cheap whistles that <i>aren't</i> Generation.
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Andrea Corr plays a Walton's little Black whistle, and Cormac Bretnacht (sp?) plays Susatos.
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

Kathleen Keane (of Gaelic Storm) plays Burkes

Laurence Nugent plays a high D Copeland, among others
tephillah

Post by tephillah »

I thought Mary Bergin played Sindts???

Laurence Nugent plays Copelands.
Seamus Egan also plays Copelands.
DrGiggles

Post by DrGiggles »

Although not a big name in the whistle world, Sir James Galway plays a Chris Abell whistle.
sbruyette

Post by sbruyette »

Sarah Bauhan plays Abell whistles and a Haynes flute.
Susan
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Grey Larsen plays high D and low D Copelands.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Wow! Galway plays an Abell? How do you know?

He plays Muramatsu flutes and a Lillian Burkart piccolo.

:smile: Jessie
FairEmma

Post by FairEmma »

Chris Norman plays a boxwood whistle crafted by Glenn Schultz of Troy, Michigan.

So who's Chris Norman? I hear everyone asking collectively. :smile: Well, he's actually a flute-player (early music and traditional American, Maritime, British Isles), but dang that man can play a whistle. Anything by him (Dorian label) is worth the price, but The Mad Buckgoat (Baltimore Consort) is all about the "Ancient Music of Ireland" and his whistle-work on that disc is superlative!
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Gee,

I wonder what whistles Davy Spillane plays......

=;^)

No serious replies, please.
DrGiggles

Post by DrGiggles »

On 2001-07-02 10:35, JessieK wrote:
Wow! Galway plays an Abell? How do you know?

He plays Muramatsu flutes and a Lillian Burkart piccolo.

I'm also a member of the the James Galway flute forum (www.JamesGalway.com). I initially asked about the whistle on the flute chat section and got the most uninformed answers possible. Sir Galway piped in with his whistle preference.

By the way, I bought a Muramatsu flute in college because Galway played one. :smile:
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Well, Loren, I suppose someone had to ask, didn't they? Thanks for getting it out of the way. I'd try asking him myself, but he never seems to return my calls... (:

Tom

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WyoBadger on 2001-07-02 10:53 ]</font>
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

On 2001-07-02 10:50, DrGiggles wrote:
I bought a Muramatsu flute in college because Galway played one.
I, too, bought a Muramatsu because he played them.

Mark_J

Post by Mark_J »

On 2001-07-02 08:44, tephillah wrote:
I thought Mary Bergin played Sindts???

Laurence Nugent plays Copelands.
Seamus Egan also plays Copelands.
Mary Bergin plays a Sindt high D whistle. Mary also plays a Copeland A (given to her as a gift from another whistle recording artist who did not give me clearance to say his/her name). In 1999, she played the Sindt in two concerts I saw. In 2000, she some of the Sindt, but mostly the Copeland A. I think that was because she was playing with her sister on harp and vocals, and Myron Bretholtz on bodhran and bones.

Some of Solas' liner notes states that Seamus egan plays Copeland low whistles, but I was at a Solas concert in Philly (Keswick theater) last year. I had 2nd Row Orchestra pid seats right under Seamus Egan. Seamus did not pull a Copeland out all night (He played almost no whistle). Seamus played mostly flute and banjo for that performance. Mick McAuley handled a majority of whistle playing that night. The whistles Seamus played looked like Cheiftains. They had the aluminum tube with a short mouthpiece (unlike the long mouth piece on Overtons). They also lacked the distinctive round to square transition of Overtons. Note, these were not in the Key of D (high or low), but low whistles in odd keys (I'm not really sure but they could be as low as E and as high as G-flat). Mick played what looked like a mix of both Overton and Cheiftain whistles. I hope to see Solas on their next tour (starting soon). Maybe I'll see Seamus play a Copeland then. They have a new CD due out before 2002.
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

I saw Ronan Browne play a solo concert this year. Of course he played mainly pipes, but he performed a couple of selections on whistle using a Clarke C (traditional) and a cheap cane low whistle pitched, I would guess, in about G.