LOL! Anyone seen the latest Toyota commercial?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

LOL! Anyone seen the latest Toyota commercial?

Post by Redwolf »

I wonder who thought it would be a good idea to put a symphonic rendition of "What Do You Do With a Drunken Sailor" behind a car advertisement! Now I keep coming up with new verses, like "put him in the seat of a brand-new Prius...". :lol:

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

Is that what that ad is for? I've heard the ad when my husband has the TV on in the other room, but I've never been interested enough to watch it and see what it's for.

There's another car ad that plays "Dust in the Wind" where the other cars are disintigrating (sp?) - but all I ever notice is the song, and I don't know what car it's advertising.

The jingles are what stick with me, although they don't usually influence my buying decisions. I knew all the words to the Winston, Salem, and Kent TV ads, but I don't smoke. Same for McDonalds - I can tell you what's in a Big Mac, but I tried one and didn't like it, so I buy a different sandwich when I eat there.

Although I do remember how to spell b-o-l-o-g-n-a! :D
Charlene
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Charlene wrote:I knew all the words to the Winston, Salem, and Kent TV ads, but I don't smoke.
"Give me a Winston, the Spirit of the USA!" Actually that was the jingle in their 1980's ad campaign when I was in Philippines. Not really the kind of thing that makes one especially proud to be an American.
Reasonable person
Walden
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Charlene wrote:The jingles are what stick with me,
I can tell, because this one:
It's summertime summertime sum sum summertime
Was used by Applebee's for several years! My cousin and I loved it.

"Hot food, cold food, Applebee's cool food,
be there, get there, don't miss Summer Fare!..."
jGilder
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jGilder »

My wife hates that ad because now while she's at work, whenever she walks down the hall or is taking care of things by herself she hears - Shave his belly with a rusty razor, shave his belly with a rusty razor, shave his belly with a rusty razor, earl-eye in the more -- nine

I've been texting this to her on her mobile and emailing it as well to help cement it firmly in her head. :devil:
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Coke

"Things go better with Coke"
"I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony....."
"It's the real thing."

Some cigarette adds I remember.

"Come up to the Kool taste, come up to Kool..."

"I'd walk a mile for a Camel" The guy always had a hole in his shoe.

"A silly millimeter longer...."

"You've got your own cigarette now baby, you've come a long long way."

"Man to man, smoke a Roy-Tan" (cigars)

"Winston tastes good, like a.." click click "...cigarette should."
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Charlene wrote:Is that what that ad is for? I've heard the ad when my husband has the TV on in the other room, but I've never been interested enough to watch it and see what it's for.

There's another car ad that plays "Dust in the Wind" where the other cars are disintigrating (sp?) - but all I ever notice is the song, and I don't know what car it's advertising.

The jingles are what stick with me, although they don't usually influence my buying decisions. I knew all the words to the Winston, Salem, and Kent TV ads, but I don't smoke. Same for McDonalds - I can tell you what's in a Big Mac, but I tried one and didn't like it, so I buy a different sandwich when I eat there.

I love the old ad jingles! As a person who grew up in Spokane during the '60s and '70s, I can still remember the phone number for Boyle Oil and the address for Sylvan Furniture:

"If you need coal or oil, call Boyle! Fairfax 8-1521. Fairfax 8-1521" (Remember "Starlit Stairway"?)

"Good old smiling Sylvan: West 227 Riverside!"

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
s1m0n

Re: LOL! Anyone seen the latest Toyota commercial?

Post by s1m0n »

Redwolf wrote:..a symphonic rendition of "What Do You Do With a Drunken Sailor"..
Egads! Was R. Vaughan Williams responsible for that, d'you think?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

Music is a great tool for the memory...

8 6 7 5 3 OH NI-YE-NI-YEN

I rest my case. Image
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

s1m0n wrote:
Redwolf wrote:..a symphonic rendition of "What Do You Do With a Drunken Sailor"..
He does have a bad habit of slaughtering decent songs.

Next thing you know, we'll here some Grainger on a commercial. :lol:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Redwolf wrote:I wonder who thought it would be a good idea to put a symphonic rendition of "What Do You Do With a Drunken Sailor" behind a car advertisement! Now I keep coming up with new verses, like "put him in the seat of a brand-new Prius...". :lol:
:lol: I laughed my @$$ off the first time I saw that ad! You've gotta wonder if the person doing the music slipped it in there on purpose, just to see if anyone caught it before it hit the airwaves.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

Redwolf wrote:
Charlene wrote:Is that what that ad is for? I've heard the ad when my husband has the TV on in the other room, but I've never been interested enough to watch it and see what it's for.

I love the old ad jingles! As a person who grew up in Spokane during the '60s and '70s, I can still remember the phone number for Boyle Oil and the address for Sylvan Furniture:

"If you need coal or oil, call Boyle! Fairfax 8-1521. Fairfax 8-1521" (Remember "Starlit Stairway"?)

"Good old smiling Sylvan: West 227 Riverside!"

Redwolf
Oh yes, good old smiling Sylvan. They moved. There's a comedy club named Comedy Sportz there now. Boyle is still around.

There's a used car lot in Greenacres that has been using the theme song from the old TV show Green Acres. Other than that, I haven't heard any memorable local ads lately.
Charlene
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

s1m0n wrote:
No doubt.

Everytime I play one of his Hymns that he used a folk tune for, I still hear

"upon the gallows tree" instead of the words in the hymn book. :oops:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

cowtime wrote: Everytime I play one of his Hymns that he used a folk tune for, I still hear

"upon the gallows tree" instead of the words in the hymn book. :oops:
You sound like my father. :)
Reasonable person
Walden