God hates Swedes (and a few others)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Pat Cannady
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Don't expect much from the Bush administration. Right now there are 120-year-old decaying fragments of long-dead pigs and cattle bubbling up in certain patches of the Chicago River and canal system that would make a better president than The Chimp, but he does take care of his friends...as long as they remain loyal.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

The Swedes don't need God to hate them. They do fine enough on their own, thank you. As a part Swede, myself, I know from self-loathing. God hates me? Ha. Too late.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Random notes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Random notes »

There is no hope for Canada. God hates Canada!

from http://www.godhatescanada.com/

I was just thinking to myself today that nobody hates Canadians. Just shows how wrong one person can be, I guess...

Roger
Non omnes qui habemt citharam sunt citharoedi
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Pat Cannady wrote:Don't expect much from the Bush administration. Right now there are 120-year-old decaying fragments of long-dead pigs and cattle bubbling up in certain patches of the Chicago River and canal system that would make a better president than The Chimp, but he does take care of his friends...as long as they remain loyal.
Gosh, Pat, tell us how you really feel!
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Jonathan wrote:These psychos came to our city a couple of years ago to protest the gay church. I think that they're dangerous and should be locked up before they become full-blown terrorists. Seems to be the way they're headed... :roll:
They came to Northeast Oklahoma, not to protest any gay churches, but to protest various Evangelical churches that they felt hadn't done enough to stop homosexuality.

The Rev. Mr. Phelps called in to John Erling, a popular morning radio host, and accused Erling of committing the unpardonable sin, because Erling had told Phelps, "God loves you, anyway."
Reasonable person
Walden
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Walden wrote:The Rev. Mr. Phelps called in to John Erling, a popular morning radio host, and accused Erling of committing the unpardonable sin, because Erling had told Phelps, "God loves you, anyway."
Wow. I've been guilty of hubris, myself, but it looks like I ain't got nothin' on Phelps.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

nano wrote:The Swedes don't need God to hate them. They do fine enough on their own, thank you.
:lol: I think there are the jolly Swedes and the gloomy Swedes. I haven't actually met any jolly ones, I guess because if you come from the gloomy line, all your relatives are probably going to be gloomy too. The gloomy Swede genes are dominant, and if you get them from one parent it's all over. I assume, but don't know, that the jolly genes are recessive and that you would have to have two jolly parents to end up jolly yourself. That could explain why they seem so rare. For all I know, the jollies are extinct by now. One of my grandmother's brothers named Elving seemed like he might be jolly. He was considered to be the black sheep of the family.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Cynth wrote:
nano wrote:The Swedes don't need God to hate them. They do fine enough on their own, thank you.
:lol: I think there are the jolly Swedes and the gloomy Swedes. I haven't actually met any jolly ones, I guess because if you come from the gloomy line, all your relatives are probably going to be gloomy too. The gloomy Swede genes are dominant, and if you get them from one parent it's all over. I assume, but don't know, that the jolly genes are recessive and that you would have to have two jolly parents to end up jolly yourself. That could explain why they seem so rare. For all I know, the jollies are extinct by now. One of my grandmother's brothers named Elving seemed like he might be jolly. He was considered to be the black sheep of the family.
I apparently have both sets of gene traits, and it appears that, in my case at least, the "gloomy" trait dominates in early life, and the "jolly" trait predominates later on. Sort of a timed-release action thing. My Swedish-American relatives are QUITE staid, God love 'em. I always said they were run out of Sweden for being such dour stick-in-the-muds. My mom's Swedish grandfather apparently brought the Swedish Covenant Church to the US.......'nuff said?

Covenanters. Cripes. Surrounded by 'em on two fronts, the Swedes and the Ulster Scots. You can bet I'm the black sheep, and I think it's a good thing.

(edited to clarify that "jolly" might not quite be the best term; let's just call it "upbeat" to be on the safe side. That Swedish enuf for ya?)
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Re: God hates Swedes (and a few others)

Post by SteveShaw »

MarcusR wrote:According to someone God apparently hates Swedes. :o
Bugger. I'd better throw the Hush Puppies away then.

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
dapple

Post by dapple »

Bugger.
Don’t say that word in front of Phelps; you’ll surely get him started on a rampage.

A few years ago, Phelps came to Columbus with a few followers. They marched in front of the state capital building carrying placards showing stick figures of men hunched over each other in compromising positions and yelling very crude statements. He’s very angry and hateful and uses God as an excuse to be so. I imagine that God might consider that a sin. Fortunately he left town and hasn’t been back.
~ David
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

So Ronald Reagan and Pope John Paul II are both in Hell? :o
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

So.....I gotta ask....
does God hate Sweedish Fish too? I hope not, those are one of my favorites....I'd hate to think I's a goin ta hell fer eatin' Sweedish Fish!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Henke

Post by Henke »

If you guys think Swedes are gloomy, you should see the guys from Finland. And acctually, I'm living evidence that the jolly Swedish genes are dominant, because I'm half Finn, but I'm pretty up-beat myself. If the jolly Swedish genes can dominate the gloomy Finnish genes, they have to be really dominant you know. Have you ever heard Finnish tango music? :sniffle: uuuääh
Random notes

Post by Random notes »

BrassBlower wrote:So Ronald Reagan and Pope John Paul II are both in Hell? :o
There are probably whole sections reserved for political and religious leaders, popes and presidents among them. If there is a cosmic justice they should be pretty close to the fire, but I would be reluctant to speculate on individual cases.

Not that I couldn' come up with a list pretty easily; I'm sure anyone could, but I doubt any two lists would match.

Roger
Non omnes qui habemt citharam sunt citharoedi
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Henke wrote:If you guys think Swedes are gloomy, you should see the guys from Finland.
:lol: I was thinking that maybe it was mostly the gloomy Swedes that came over to the States. It could just be the little bunch I came from too. I did have a friend once who showed me an old photo of her Swedish grandmother as a young girl at a party where all the girls were dressed up as men, including cigarettes! They were having a real good time and I really could not imagine my grandmother, adore her though I did, having that much fun. They just seemed like a whole different kind of Swedish. The jolly kind.

Maybe the jolly genes are dominant, it's starting to sound that way. I wonder who the Finns think are the gloomy ones? Eventually we should get to the gloomiest people on earth!