Total Newbie question from a total newbie

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ChaplainBlake
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Irish music has been a developing passion of mine. In the next few years, I hope to have all four of my kids going on whistles!

Total Newbie question from a total newbie

Post by ChaplainBlake »

With all of the talk of D and flat sets, I have a couple of questions for you saged, wise (both the wise and wise guys may respond) types out there: If I purchase a practice set, can i swap a D chanter for a flat chanter? I realize that once I move to a half set or greater, the chanter has to blend with the drones, regulators, etc. But, for a practice set, for the sake of being able to have the "best of both worlds" as it were, is it possible/feasible?

Discuss.

Regards,
Chap
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Most chanters have a standard size intake - 3/8". So in general, you should be able to change a concert chanter for a flat chanter. It might require you add or remove a little binding to get the right fit. Just make sure when you're negotiating that the bag/chanter connection is 3/8".
PJ
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

There is nothing wrong with that. You might even be in better shape as you mightn't have to meddle with the reed.

For me though I couldn't play a flat chanter without the drones.... it just completes the sound. I am an advocate of half sets rather than practice sets though :)

Patrick.
Last edited by Patrick D'Arcy on Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChaplainBlake
Tell us something.: Irish music has been a developing passion of mine. In the next few years, I hope to have all four of my kids going on whistles!

Post by ChaplainBlake »

So, you advocate starting with half set? I have thought that a half set might suit me better, but did not know if it was wise. By the way, once I get back from my current duty station, I will be in SoCal (San Diego to be specific)...already spoke to Mr Eskin about that. Hope to meet some other pipers there!
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Hi Chap,

Looking forward to meeting you out here :)

Yes, I do lean towards getting a half set to begin with if you can afford it atall. If it's a flat set, all the better.

Where are you currently stationed?

Patrick.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

PJ wrote:Most chanters have a standard size intake - 3/8". So in general, you should be able to change a concert chanter for a flat chanter. It might require you add or remove a little binding to get the right fit. Just make sure when you're negotiating that the bag/chanter connection is 3/8".
I have often found that there are two intake sizes out there. My sampling shows it at about 50/50.

t
ChaplainBlake

Post by ChaplainBlake »

Marine Corps Base Camp Schwab for the time being. I am a Navy chaplain, on loan to the 3rd Div, 4th Reg, and filling a slot vacated by a combat chap just recently. My brother and I are both Navy men....hopefully, I will be settling back into San Diego soon.

Why a flat set? I have the means for one, and I have scouted out different makers (favoring Lynch and Gallagher at the moment). I am a quick study, and the greater the challenge, the more I practice. Know anyone with a half set (flat) for sale? :) I see a Gallagher half set (d-pitched) on the forums at the moment, but nothing in the flat sets.

Thanks for the comments so far, and for your patience with the newb inquiry.
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Actually there are THREE Gallagher sets and a Lynch set for sale at the moment. All concert pitch:

http://www.uilleannobsession.com/classifieds.html

Patrick.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

tommykleen wrote:I have often found that there are two intake sizes out there. My sampling shows it at about 50/50.
The only other size I've come across was on a chanter made by Chris Langan. I didn't take measurements but it was significantly bigger than 3/8".

What is the other main intake size?
PJ
No E
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by No E »

My Hunter B chanter has a huge intake, close to 1/2", I think. It won't fit into many chanter stocks at any rate.

No E
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Patrick is right..the sooner ye get going with drones the better.Even one drone will give ye an indication if ye are using the correct technique with the bellows and the right pressure,as ye will detect a wavering of the drones if ye are doing it badly...
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
billh

Post by billh »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote: Yes, I do lean towards getting a half set to begin with if you can afford it atall. If it's a flat set, all the better.
Patrick.
Flat sets also sound very nice with only two drones, tenor and baritone. Since the bass drone and stock/switch/etc. are most of the labor in a set of drones, this can be an economical compromise. Worth asking a potential maker about it anyhow, you can have them make a 'mini stock' and use end-pins instead of a drone switch, in the manner of some old 18th century sets. This also has the advantage of letting you start out with only one drone (keeping the second one plugged). Later on you can add the fullsize stock with drone switch, and the bass drone.

Bill
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Starting with a flat set will also aid in your getting used to proper playing posture sooner... the pipes can seem odd to strap into at first, but the sooner you get used to it the better... IMHO.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Flats sets great... however all the tutorial media is recorded on concert D pipes. So... playing along with NPU tapes would be extremely difficult to learn on.
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

True. A narrow bore D set is a way to go though? Less bother than a wide bore to keep going.

The narrow bore thing is only a suggestion. A half set is more the point. If you had a teacher with a flat set that would be the pitch to aim for... but if you are going on videos then D sounds like the way to go.

Are you talking with any makers?

Patrick.