A cure for bee and wasp stings

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
BmacD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A cure for bee and wasp stings

Post by BmacD »

About 25 years ago I was told that Adolph's Unflavored Meat Tenderizer would stop the pain and swelling of bee stings .It does for me and the few people I know who have tried it . It turns the pain off instantly, like switching off a light . The next day it itches sort of like a mesquito bite . Works best if applied immediatly but I have found it to work as well even if it takes a minute or two to get to the meat tenderizer . Apparently the active ingredient is papain. The product is a dry powder that needs to be applied as a paste . In an emergency spit will work as well as water and is usually faster to come by. I carry a single contact lens container with the meat tenderizer in it in my pocket 24/7/365 { I've been stung in January in Tennessee } . I have seen some meat tenderizers with bromelain listed instead of papain . I don't know if bromelain works or not.Being chemically similar to papain it might if that is all you can get.
Hope this will help those who are sensitive or simply dislike pain .
Bruce
We have enough youth. How about a "fountain of smart".
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I usually don't have problems with stings. After the initial burning sensation it doesn't bother me any more. Maybe I've built up an immunity after being stung so many times.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Any time we got stung while visiting my grandparents in western NC, my grandfather would take some of the chewing tobacco out of his mouth and slap it on the sting. Worked like a charm! The pain would go away, and the swelling would stop. I have no idea why...
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I have heard about the Adolf's working, but I have never used it. Baking soda and water mixed together until it makes a thick paste also works well. There are also some homeopathic creams on the market now that apparently work too.

I can't imagine using chewing tobacco, Slude....it just sounds icky. But I suppose if it works!
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
TomB

Post by TomB »

jsluder wrote:Any time we got stung while visiting my grandparents in western NC, my grandfather would take some of the chewing tobacco out of his mouth and slap it on the sting. Worked like a charm! The pain would go away, and the swelling would stop. I have no idea why...

Probably because when you were a kid it grossed you out and made you forget about the pain of the sting. :D

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

TomB wrote:
jsluder wrote:Any time we got stung while visiting my grandparents in western NC, my grandfather would take some of the chewing tobacco out of his mouth and slap it on the sting. Worked like a charm! The pain would go away, and the swelling would stop. I have no idea why...

Probably because when you were a kid it grossed you out and made you forget about the pain of the sting. :D

Tom
Heh. Even as a kid, it took more than used chewing tobacco to gross me out. Growing up on a farm, you get used to a lot of "gross" stuff. (Although, I still can't comprehend how anyone can eat liver. Blech.)
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I'm immune to most mosquito species, as well. They bite and it hurts for a second and that's it. No itching or swelling.

And yeah, I grew up getting bitten a LOT, so I think I built up a tolerance.

Every so often I go to a new part of the world and discover that I'm not immune to the mosquitos there. The first time this happened, I came up in these horrible red bumps. I was alarmed. I showed them to my girlfirnd. "Those are mosquito bites, silly" she said scornfully. I felt crushed.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
djm

Post by djm »

We were always treated with bluing, the little teabag looking pad that used to be used for brightening whites in the laundry. Same application - wet the bag and hold it on the sting for a couple of minutes. I have been stung by wasps several times as an adult (just again the other day by a wasp) and find the pain goes away in a few minutes, and the swelling in a day or two, so I don't know if the bluing actually did anything or not. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I read an article somewhere where a guy experimented with a lot of remedies after getting bees to deliberately sting him. :boggle: (I hope people with eyeballs that do that aren't offended. :twisted: or people with pointy red ears) Anyway, he claimed toothpaste worked as well as any folk remedy or commercial product.
Tony
Yeah, think I'll go slap a beehive and test it out.
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

TonyHiggins wrote:Yeah, think I'll go slap a beehive and test it out.
:lol:

On a hike this past spring, one of the guys (who has a PhD in math, no less) saw a round, paper-like object in a bush next to the trail. He stopped, poked the thing with his hiking pole, and asked, "Is that a wasp nest?" As soon as the pissed-off bees started swarming out, he took off running, and somehow managed to avoid getting stung. The poor guy behind him got stung three times.
Denny

Post by Denny »

so, do you still hike with him?
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Denny wrote:so, do you still hike with him?
Yeah. But not too close! On that particular occasion I was fortunate enough to have taken a different trail back to the trailhead, so I avoided the whole fiasco.
Geraint

Post by Geraint »

When I was a little kid I sat on a wasp. My grandfather poured Mackeson's stout over it. Don't remember how well it worked, tho'.

Not sure whether Guinness works. Or Murphys. or Mackesons, come to that.
Tri pheth sy'n anodd nabod....
Denny

Post by Denny »

jsluder wrote:
Denny wrote:so, do you still hike with him?
Yeah. But not too close! On that particular occasion I was fortunate enough to have taken a different trail back to the trailhead, so I avoided the whole fiasco.
'hope he doesn't find a cougar... :o
Lambchop

Re: A cure for bee and wasp stings

Post by Lambchop »

BmacD wrote:About 25 years ago I was told that Adolph's Unflavored Meat Tenderizer would stop the pain and swelling of bee stings .e
It does. The venom is a protein. Papain denatures the protein, rendering it a mere shadow of it's former self, i.e., nonstinging. Presumably, bromelain does the same thing.

Works really well on jellyfish stings, including larval jellyfish.

Strong, cool tea is good on superficial burns, as in sunburn. It contains tannic acid, which basically tans the skin (tans, like the process that tans leather).

There. Now you know two things which will help you survive a Florida vacation.

Here's another . . . scented body products, like hand lotion, soap, and nice-smelling sunscreen attract wasps, hornets, and so forth. Go with the ones that don't smell . . . especially not the ones that smell like fruit. :roll:
Last edited by Lambchop on Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cotelette d'Agneau