So I bought a French Press

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

So I bought a French Press

Post by izzarina »

Thanks a lot to everyone who said how great they were. Now I'm going to be addicted :wink: I didn't realize how much better the coffee could taste!
My only problem is that the pot is small . The write up about it said it holds 48 ounces, but it doesn't even come close (some GUY must have written the write up, methinks). But at least it doesn't take long to make another pot. So, my only OTHER problem is that since the taste is out of this world, and it doesn't take very long to make a pot, I'm indulging far too much. The wee one is doing far too many cartwheels now that I have one ;)

Thanks again for all the information (way back when...I don't even remember when we discussed it now).
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
TomB

Post by TomB »

Very cool Izz. I've thought about that now and again. I really only make coffee at home on weekends, (I drink the free work stuff during the week), and since the wife doesn't touch it, I only make it for me. I use an electric percolater these days, which works well, but I would think the taste would be much better with one of those French Press thingies.

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I often use one at work but don't care for the taste as well as brewed.
To each his/her own I guess.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

I am french, and I didn't know what a french press was ;) , so I checked google... I suppose this is what you're talking about:

I had the same problem recently (caffeine addiction due to high quality coffee) with an italian machine, the Bialetti Brikka... :

It makes a very good, very strong, very italian caffè (con la crema)
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

izzy, could you make your coffee with half decaff and half regular grounds? You wouldn't get as much caffeine then. We do that here because of my husband and I don't really notice a flavor difference. Or drink it half milk, half coffee sort of like a latte? Oh, except I think you are sensitive to milk. I love good coffee too.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Don't you have to call it a freedom press any more? :D
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

I switched to a French Press a few months ago and love it. However I just have two large mugs in the morning with breakfast, I could see how it wouldn't satisfy the three pot a day person.

My wife and I received an electric kettle for our wedding, so I put on one large kettle of water when I get up and pour 2/3's into my french press and the rest into my wife's <a href="http://www.adagio.com/teaware/ingenuiTE ... 6f19b">tea maker</a>. Best of both worlds.

BTW, my wife loves that one cup tea maker.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

When I saw the thread title, I immediately thought, "So Izzy's the one behind the Lance Armstrong accusations!"
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

jsluder wrote:When I saw the thread title, I immediately thought, "So Izzy's the one behind the Lance Armstrong accusations!"
It can be easy to confuse a coffee pot with french tabloids sometimes :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

When I first started enjoying fresh ground coffee, I made it in a french press. I loved it and prepared it that way for some time. Then I bought a drip machine on sale at Starbucks(over 50% off!!) and haven't used the french press much.
If you want more coffee from the press for drinking over a couple hours, I'd recommend making two or three pots and immediatly pouring them into a warmed thermal carafe.
The other option would be to buy a gold mesh filter basket for a drip coffee maker, which allows more of the coffee's oils to filter through. There is fine sediment as well with the gold filter, but not as much as a press. The coffee maker's hot plate also keeps it hotter than the press.
I now use the gold cone filter all the time. We ran out of paper filters(about a month ago) and I made due with the gold cone until I could go to the store. The coffee tasted really good, and we've been using the gold cone since.
A good grinder makes a big difference in the flavor . . . regardless of method.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Problem with French press is, that with the glass ones, the coffee goes cold too fast. With the metal ones, you just do it by touch which is okay. We have a big metal one for camping. yeah, we "rough it."
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Sliabh Luachra

Post by Sliabh Luachra »

Love my french press. Everyday. The sludge in the bottom of my cup is great. Reminds me of the month I spent in Jerusalem. The only problem I have is that my 8 cup french press only makes two cups. They are big honking cups though. Maybe I should be using smaller cups, but where's the fun in that.

Plus I end up going through about a pound of beans each week. Haven't slept in months.
:o

Mark
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

I've been using the same French Press since 1976 when my sister brought one home from Italy. I didn't drink coffee at the time and introduced myself to it on the occasion of getting a FP. I take it with me wherever I go along with a hand grinder for the beans. I even packed it with me when I went to Ireland along with 2 lbs of my favorite blend: 1/3 Guatemalan, 1/3 Ethiopian and 1/3 dark French. I was there for a little over a month and used 1 & 1/2 pounds of the coffee (for 3 people.) I also take it with me to the music camp I go to every summer.

Can't be without my lovely French Press. Image (Discreet usage of emoticon for light-hearted punctuation.)
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Tyler Morris wrote:It can be easy to confuse a coffee pot with french tabloids sometimes :D
I think I should buy a French press and publish French translations of the Peter Rabbit stories.
Reasonable person
Walden
dubhlinn

Re: So I bought a French Press

Post by dubhlinn »

izzarina wrote:
Thanks again for all the information (way back when...I don't even remember when we discussed it now).
Glad you're enjoying it Izz.

It might have been me who posted up a strange question about the second cup being stronger than the first.

Funny thing though, like Matt Paris, I had no idea what a French Press was until I tried to spell Cafetiera (hope that's close enough) and then I found the term in a google!

Go easy on the Coffee during the pregnancy - :oops: as if I would know anything about that subject :wink:

Slan,
D. :D
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats