Weird headlines

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Weird headlines

Post by Dale »

I collected weird and incomprehensible headlines. This one meets criteria, although I'm sure it makes sense to people in the UK.

Blow for terrestrial TV cricket

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/4176714.stm
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

You still didn't get it after reading the article?
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I can't read English.
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Wombat wrote:You still didn't get it after reading the article?
Oy, it's grickett! Totally incomtrehensible to us over here...we dont have kriggit, we dont watch crikkit so we just are confused.... :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

The article is only incidentally about cricket. The gist of it is that Test cricket matches are no longer listed amongst the sporting events which have to be made available to the public on free to air television. Australia has a similar ranking system to prevent major events slipping into the pay TV category. I might be grafting an Australian understanding of the situation onto it but that is in essence what it's about, I think.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I just thought for a minute when I saw the headline that maybe some loveable insect cartoon character was in trouble for cocaine. Thought maybe that had brought him down to earth, so to speak.
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Wombat wrote:The article is only incidentally about cricket. The gist of it is that Test cricket matches are no longer listed amongst the sporting events which have to be made available to the public on free to air television. Australia has a similar ranking system to prevent major events slipping into the pay TV category. I might be grafting an Australian understanding of the situation onto it but that is in essence what it's about, I think.
man, I hardly understand the ranking rules for college football and now you wanna throw this at me :lol: :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

DaleWisely wrote:I just thought for a minute when I saw the headline that maybe some loveable insect cartoon character was in trouble for cocaine. Thought maybe that had brought him down to earth, so to speak.
Well that is a subtext. I just thought I'd explain the less credible stuff.
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

Yellow Perch Decline to be Studied.

Experts Increase Probability of a Big Quake in California

4-H Girls Win Prizes for Fat Calves.

Typhoon Rips Cemetery, Hundreds Dead.

These are old, and pretty well known, but I like them.
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

Ones from my own local newspaper 'The Anglo-Celt' :

"New school for Muff" ... :lol: (Muff is the name of a small town near Cavan, it also has another meaning)

"Violent assault with Basketball bat"

And in the classifieds.."Man wanted to milk nanny clarke, cavan." (note the comma!).

They are quite excellent at these mistakes. In fact i used to date the daughter of the guy who proof-reads for them. :lol:
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

This might be a myth, but one I heard about recently concerned a six-nil football loss suffered by Celtic against Caledonian (ie, the Callies)

The headline was:

Super Callies go Ballistic, Celtic are Atrocious!
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
missy

Post by missy »

oh, simon - that's BAD!!!!!! :boggle:
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Normally regarding Cricket I'd say I hate every one of the noisy green so-and-sos...

But Allowing the Cricketers to use Blow during a test match would probably make for a faster-paced, more imaginitive game. I'm all for it. I might even take up the game...
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

My favorite headline was from a junk fax we got at our office:

On Sale January 9th: Sexually Transmitted Diseases! Order Today!

It was for a book about the treatment of said STD's, but someone could have written a better headline don't you think? Then again, it certainly got our attention!
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

s1m0n wrote:This might be a myth, but one I heard about recently concerned a six-nil football loss suffered by Celtic against Caledonian (ie, the Callies)

The headline was:

Super Callies go Ballistic, Celtic are Atrocious!
This is a true story.

The sports writer in question thought of the headline at a time when Ally McQuoist (Super Ally) played for Rangers but never got the chance to use it until the shock defeat of the century!

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats