Best Cell service?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

What is the best cell phone service?

Poll ended at Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:42 pm

Sprint PCS
8%
Verizon
33%
Cingular
33%
T-mobile
25%

Total votes: 12

brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Best Cell service?

Post by brewerpaul »

Our Sprint contract will be up for renewal in a few months, and we've been less than totally satisfied. We have 2 phones and use the service largely to talk to each other.
Reception quality is really poor, and the coverage areas are not terrific.
I'd love to hear from anyone who likes one of the alternatives better-- preferably if you've changed from Sprint!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

I've only used Verizon, so I can't comment on the others. We chose Verizon when we got our cell phones a few years ago, mainly because they had the best coverage in our area (and nationwide) at the time. We've been satisfied with the service, so we've stayed with them. My parents and all of my siblings use Verizon as well, so all of our calls to each other are "free" (i.e., they don't use up our monthly airtime allotment). It works for us.

Cheers,
John
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
emmline

Post by emmline »

I am reluctant to cast a vote because, like jsluder, I only know what I've used.
My 3 girls and I are on a Cingular family talk plan.
(the males in our house are too technology-impaired for cell phones)
It's been ok, all in all.
The coverage area is decent, and the signal is rarely worse than anyone else's.
Our house, oddly, seems to block the signal somewhat, as do certain other heftily constructed buildings.
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I was on T-Mobile from May 2003 to September 2004. The only time I ever had a hassle was when I rang up to cancel my service. They don't like to see customers go.
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

ours is through our local carrier (Cincinnati Bell). In fact, our home phone, internet, and cell phones are all on the same thing (it's great only getting one bill - and that's automatically paid).
I've been places out of state where my phone has service, but others don't - I have no idea what cells mine connects to out of our local area. And a lot of people have trouble with their phones here at work (lots of metal, lots of RF frequencies because of instrumentation, etc.) - I don't.

There's no contract, however they keep the same price for your service as long as you have it (I've had my service for 6 years, and it's never changed in price).
They also have a great plan for the kids. It's a teen plan, with I forget how many minutes (something like 500 peak, 1000 anytime) and free, no limit, text messaging. For $20 a month. Nate had over 500 text messages one month - so that "free, no limit" is really nice. You can also change those minutes to long distance, no roaming for an additional $10 (which I'll do as soon as Nate is out of Basic Training).
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

We've always used verizon wireless. I don't think it's that great but I suppose I'm comparing it wired service. That said, I always read surveys about consumer satisfaction for cell phones (oxymoron?) and verizon always scores highest - Consumer reports, CNET, various newpaper articles etc.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

In the family, we have Sprint phones and Verizon phones. Verizon does better in the Consumer Reports polls. I preferred Sprint, however, and would have a Sprint phone myself except my office sits in a dead cell.

Dale
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I think this question is very, very regional, so I didn't vote since I live below the
Mason-Dixon line. My coworker moved to NC from Ohio and had to change from
Sprint because, though his Sprint reception in Ohio was terrific, it is awful down here.
I think Sprint might actually have problems with the geography here, they have to
place towers wherever they can find land, and if you aren't lucky enough to get on
the top of a particular hill, that cell will have bad reception.

I have Verizon, and it works fairly well pretty much everywhere except in my house,
which appears to be an absolute cold spot. I took my phone with me to Las Vegas
recently, and the reception there was incredible!

Moral: You may wish to take the experiences of the people who don't live near you
with a grain of salt. See if any service providers have a trial period (Verizon and
Alltel out here let you cancel within 10 days, I think).
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

When I read the title of this thread I thought it was about room service in prison. I saw all these replies and thought that this discussion forum must be populated with a lot of criminals who served time.

What a relief! Image
Last edited by jGilder on Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

jGilder wrote:When I read the title of this thread I thought it was about room service in prison. I saw all these replies and thought that this discussion forum must be populated with a lot of criminals who served time. What a relief! Image
Don't drop the soap...
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Over a period of about seven years I've had a few cell phone providers...

I started with PrimeCo that merged and formed Verizon. I nearly always had good service and great customer service when an occasional problem came along. I stayed with them just over 2 1/2 years

The company I was working for all had Nextel to communicate via 2-way to their contractors. I hated switching from Verizon and I hated Next-hell even more. Poor reception, busy cell sites and messages for calls not received to my phone. I stayed with them for 3 years and switched when I changed jobs that didn't require the harassing 2-way radio communication.

MetroPCS offered unlimited local service in a tri-county area for about $35 a month. Great if you didn't mind 80% of your calls getting dropped, missed or waiting hours for your messages to appear on the system. Bad reception forced me to stand outside buildings just to talk. I ended up giving the phone away to a friend who just happens to have an outside job.

T-Mobile. I returned it within the 14 day trial period because it usually didn't work when people called me!

My girlfriend at the time was using Verizon with varied results regarding reception. She tried several different phones and all were about the same.

Sprint... Better plans, better reception, good customer service. I'm happy.
Last edited by Tony on Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Well, I'm O2, my wife and son and mother are Orange and my daughter's Vodaphone.

Steve (on behalf of all disenfranchised-by-this-thread Europeans - if you happen to be a Bush supporter that would be Yurpeens).
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

SteveShaw wrote:Well, I'm O2, my wife and son and mother are Orange and my daughter's Vodaphone.
You're hot air, and your wife and son and mother live in Northern Ireland? No wonder you gave your daughter a weird name like Vodaphone. Poor girl...
SteveShaw wrote:Steve (on behalf of all disenfranchised-by-this-thread Europeans - if you happen to be a Bush supporter that would be Yurpeens).
Is a Bush supporter anything like a bean pole?
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

jsluder wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:Well, I'm O2, my wife and son and mother are Orange and my daughter's Vodaphone.
You're hot air, and your wife and son and mother live in Northern Ireland? No wonder you gave your daughter a weird name like Vodaphone. Poor girl...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

SteveShaw wrote:
jsluder wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Could be worse. My friend and I are <a href="http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/commer ... ">Fresh</a>. :oops: :D