Was Tom Cruise Shakespeare?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

Has anybody actually verified those quotes from Cruise-man? The thought occurred to me this morning that maybe this is just made-up stuff, as fun as it is to think they are true.....
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

Yeah. I know. I know. Anything I have to say is just babbling to myself
anyway. I also think that Tom Cruise is probably way over the top with
this. But there is a big part of me that sees a lot of what's being said here
as denigrating my friend's beliefs and his memories. Perhaps you never
read it, but as I said in my earlier post about Charlie:
Will O'B wrote:Maybe it was real. Maybe there was something else
going on there. I don't know. But I am not arrogant enough to say
that it never happened that way. Just because we don't understand or
see or agree with something doesn't necessarily mean that it's not real.

Will O'Ban
Please just knock it off, huh? For my sake. For Charlie's sake. For the
sake of anyone else out there that might be hurting from some of your
insensitive comments. What'd I ever do to you people anyway??? :roll:

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

jsluder wrote:New, from the History Channel...

Past Lives of the Rich and Famous
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Will O'B wrote:Yeah. I know. I know. Anything I have to say is just babbling to myself
anyway. I also think that Tom Cruise is probably way over the top with
this. But there is a big part of me that sees a lot of what's being said here
as denigrating my friend's beliefs and his memories. Perhaps you never
read it, but as I said in my earlier post about Charlie:
Will O'B wrote:Maybe it was real. Maybe there was something else
going on there. I don't know. But I am not arrogant enough to say
that it never happened that way. Just because we don't understand or
see or agree with something doesn't necessarily mean that it's not real.

Will O'Ban
Please just knock it off, huh? For my sake. For Charlie's sake. For the
sake of anyone else out there that might be hurting from some of your
insensitive comments. What'd I ever do to you people anyway??? :roll:

Will O'Ban
I'm having a hard time seeing where anyone has been ripping on what you've said...
I see a lot of people poking fun at Tom Cruise.... :-?
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Flyingcursor wrote:In my last past life I was working in a boiler room ...
Before that I died of scarlet fever while working on our dirt farm.
Before that I got crippled by polio...
Before that ... Lived on a farm for 60 years and raised a family...
See, those (as well as Will's friend's) seem much more plausible than "I was Ghengis Khan AND Charlie Chaplin!"
Last edited by fearfaoin on Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Will, I hope you don't feel that anyone is ridiculing you, or the friend you talked about.
Many people have experiences that would seem incredible to most of the population, and most are discreet enough to know when to share and when to keep quiet.
Tom Cruise is so public, so unapologetically egotistical in his statements, and seems to just get more so everytime he opens his mouth on record, that he's really set himself up for a good roasting.

Unless your point is that maybe Cruise is so wack that he doesn't know what he's doing, and therefore should be treated more delicately. I began to feel that way about Michael Jackson after a while.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

The Weekenders wrote:Has anybody actually verified those quotes from Cruise-man? The thought occurred to me this morning that maybe this is just made-up stuff, as fun as it is to think they are true.....
Good point. I didn't find anything about it on Google news, except for the
Toronto Fashion Monitor article linked in the first pos. And that article doesn't
cite any source or interview, so it could just be a tabloid-esque publication.

Also, it's funny that Cruise is no longer reffered to as "Actor Tom Cruise."
Now, I always see him as "Scientologist Tom Cruise."
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Gee, Will, you yourself made some funny jokes about Tom Cruise. I really think this is a thread about Tom Cruise and his public excesses. It certainly is not aimed at you or your friend.

It has also discussed the fact that many people of the sort of New Age reincarnation type always seem to have been someone very famous in the past----a king, queen, etc. Your friends who were brothers felt they had been ordinary monks---not the Pope or powerful cardinals---so again, I saw nothing in the thread that was laughing at that whatsoever.

Reincarnation itself is not being discussed. It is just the people who do obviously sort of nutty things with the idea that are. I honestly believe that you are feeling ultra-sensitive and seeing denigration that just is not there. Do you think that the people on the forum would do that to you?

They might have a discussion about reincarnation and clearly some people would believe in it and others wouldn't. But I really think 99% of the people would conduct that conversation without denigrating the millions of people in the world who do believe in reincarnation.
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

emmline wrote:Will, I hope you don't feel that anyone is ridiculing you, or the friend you talked about.
Many people have experiences that would seem incredible to most of the population, and most are discreet enough to know when to share and when to keep quiet.
Tom Cruise is so public, so unapologetically egotistical in his statements, and seems to just get more so everytime he opens his mouth on record, that he's really set himself up for a good roasting.
"MMMmmmm, Tom Cruise roasting."
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

fearfaoin wrote:Also, it's funny that Cruise is no longer reffered to as "Actor Tom Cruise."
Now, I always see him as "Scientologist Tom Cruise."
It's my understanding that his previous publicist guy did a great job of managing the public perception of Cruise's wackiness...things like having the right to read interviews and line-item veto anything said, etc.

As soon as he was let go and replaced, the "real" Tom Cruise started being potrayed.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Wanderer wrote:As soon as he was let go and replaced, the "real" Tom Cruise started being potrayed.
The plot thickens...
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

Cynth wrote:Reincarnation itself is not being discussed. It is just the people who do obviously sort of nutty things with the idea that are. I honestly believe that you are feeling ultra-sensitive and seeing denigration that just is not there. Do you think that the people on the forum would do that to you?

They might have a discussion about reincarnation and clearly some people would believe in it and others wouldn't. But I really think 99% of the people would conduct that conversation without denigrating the millions of people in the world who do believe in reincarnation.
Good point. I guess I'm being overly sensitive about all of this and reading something into some of the posts that wasn't intended by thier authors. I appologize to everyone for even thinking that. :oops:

One of my ongoing difficulties right now is seeing things logically.

Will O'Ban
Last edited by Will O'B on Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

fearfaoin wrote:
Wanderer wrote:As soon as he was let go and replaced, the "real" Tom Cruise started being potrayed.
The plot thickens...
I don't think it's much of a "plot", really.

I'm not sure why Tom let his publicist go, but the replacement was Cruise's sister, also a Scientologist. Scientologists see celebrity proselytizing as a very good thing for the church, so Tom's sudden 'weirdness' hasn't surprised me at all.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Wanderer wrote:I don't think it's much of a "plot", really.
Just like most of Tom's movies.
(ba-da-bing!)
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Will wrote:reading something into some of the posts that wasn't intended by thier authors
:lol: Will, everyone of us does this sometimes. When you can't see the expression on people's faces or hear their tone of voice, depending on how one's day is going, things can just sound a certain way in a person's head. But I'm glad you came around because I feel awfully sure that I AM RIGHT!! :wink: