A special kind of stupid

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

avanutria wrote:...American pancakes - which are a very different beast from British pancakes.
I haven't had the pleasure of trying British pancakes.
Are they something that can be described in text?
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

avanutria wrote:So Gary, tell me - how did you find out it wasn't ice cream; did you scoff a spoonful? :lol:
Yeah. :oops: I thought it was a dollop of icecream, so downed a great big blobby of it. Peeeyoook...
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

fearfaoin wrote:I haven't had the pleasure of trying British pancakes.
Are they something that can be described in text?
Yes. Crepes.

Quite good when you want crepes. Rather disappointing if you've got American pancakes in mind.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

From http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encycl ... ancake.htm :
British pancakes have three key ingredients: plain flour, eggs and milk. The batter is quite runny and forms a thin layer on the bottom of the frying pan when the pan is tilted. It may form some bubbles during cooking, which result in a pale pancake with dark spots where the bubbles were, but the pancake does not rise. These pancakes may be eaten sweet with the traditional topping of lemon juice and sugar, or wrapped around savoury stuffings and eaten as a main course. When baked instead of fried, this batter rises (depite having no raising agents – it rises because the air beaten into the batter expands) and is known as Yorkshire pudding. British pancakes are similar to the French crepes, and Italian crespelle, but are not "lacy" in appearance. Pancakes in Scotland, however, are more like the American variation and served appropriately (see below). They are often shallow fried when served as a breakfast item.

American pancakes contain a raising agent, usually baking soda, and different proportions of eggs, flour and milk which create a thick batter. This batter is either spooned or poured onto a hot surface, and spreads to form a cake about 1/4 or 1/3 inch (1 cm) thick. The raising agent causes bubbles to rise to the uncooked side of the pancake, at which point they are ready to be flipped. The resulting pancakes are very light in texture, similar to what the British call drop scones or Scotch pancakes. They are often served at breakfast topped with maple syrup and butter. In the US, pancakes can also be referred to as hotcakes, griddlecakes, and flapjacks. A typical portion served in restaurants is 3 to 4 pancakes. A smaller number may be ordered by requesting a "short stack". Another variation are "silver dollar pancakes", where the individual pancakes are each about the size of a US silver dollar.
Not sure why this is on "AbsoluteAstronomy.com" though.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

avanutria wrote:Image
I'm now sitting here doing a pretty good impersonation of Beethoven. (The dog, not the composer.)

Slobberrrr.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Anybody else eat peanut butter on their American pancakes? My family (and extended family) has always eaten pancakes and waffles with either peanut butter and syrup or peanut butter with a jelly or jam. Yum! It must not be a common thing because we tend to get strange looks or comments from boyfriends/girlfriends, prospective members of the family, etc. Please tell me others eat peanut butter on their pancakes and waffles too!

Susan
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

avanutria wrote:Not sure why this is on "AbsoluteAstronomy.com" though.
Because someone probably thought it said absoluteGastronomy. :lol:
(BTW, my name is John)
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I bet the Brit variety would be good wrapped around sausage. Or maybe wrapped around a stick of butter with some (american) bacon. Mmmmmm I can hear the arteries hardening.

I smother my American version pancakes in butter then with syrup.
Mmmmmmmm.

They are also known as flapjacks, hoecakes, hotcakes, johnny-cakes, and maybe more.

It's a shame someone didn't warn you Gary before you went to IHOP.
IHOP RULES!!!!
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

I don't like peanut butter, so I don't eat it on anything. Just as well because I hear it's hard to buy good pb here.

Jbarter - sorry about the drool, mate - come on down to London someday and I'll make more pancakes ;)
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

susnfx wrote:Please tell me others eat peanut butter on their pancakes and waffles too!

Susan
Oh dear god no.... Image

That'd be worse than that awful chocolate which has peanut butter in the middle!! It'd be like... like putting gravy on fish and chips!
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

make no mistke, the french know their stuff..
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

GaryKelly wrote:
susnfx wrote:Please tell me others eat peanut butter on their pancakes and waffles too!

Susan
Oh dear god no.... Image

That'd be worse than that awful chocolate which has peanut butter in the middle!! It'd be like... like putting gravy on fish and chips!
What's with the European antipathy toward Peanut Butter. Why, back in '44 peanut butter won the war!!! (not really).
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

I like peanut butter Fly. The trouble is, that at a minimum of 50% fat content, I have to bear in mind all those 'fat hobbit' comments.

Truth be told, I'm just too lazy to chew real peanuts so I buy the premasticated variety. :wink:
(BTW, my name is John)
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Flyingcursor wrote:What's with the European antipathy toward Peanut Butter. Why, back in '44 peanut butter won the war!!! (not really).
There's nothing wrong with peanut butter. Like everything else, it has its place. Its place being either on hot buttered toast (with marmite), or in sandwiches (with marmite). :)

I like the crunchy variety (of peanut butter, not eggs or marmite), but my aged fillings do not, and since I've already paid for two of my dentist's foreign holidays in the last year I've switched to the smooth.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

GaryKelly wrote:I like the crunchy variety (of peanut butter, not eggs or marmite), but my aged fillings do not, and since I've already paid for two of my dentist's foreign holidays in the last year I've switched to the smooth.
It's also easier to clean out of your whistle later.
(BTW, my name is John)