Pat Robertson at his finest

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:I seem to remember quite a few years ago (if my memory serves me correctly) that Pat was trying to raise a bunch of money for some-such-or-other, and he promised that if he didn't raise X-amount, the "Good Lord would take me away". He came short of his mark... aparently the Good Lord wasn't paying attention on that particular day... or wanted absolutely nothing to do with the lunatic. :roll:
Golly, I wish the Gool Lord was paying closer attention :lol:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
mukade

Post by mukade »

'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
Will O'B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:I seem to remember quite a few years ago (if my memory serves me correctly) that Pat was trying to raise a bunch of money for some-such-or-other, and he promised that if he didn't raise X-amount, the "Good Lord would take me away". He came short of his mark... aparently the Good Lord wasn't paying attention on that particular day... or wanted absolutely nothing to do with the lunatic. :roll:
I think that might have been Oral Roberts. Similar last name, same employer, and the same modus operandi. They could be twins.

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

Pat Robertson belongs to an elite club of right wing nut-jobs. Another outstanding member is Rush Limbaugh who baselessly compared Cindy Sheehan to Bill Burkett: "Her story is nothing more than forged documents" he said.

Image Hear it for yourself

And who can forget the day Jerry Falwell was interviewed on Pat Robertson's "700 Club" a few days after 9-11 where he blamed the event on the ACLU, Gays and Lesbians etc.

======================================

PAT ROBERTSON: Jerry, that's my feeling. I think we've just seen the antechamber to terror. We haven't even begun to see what they can do to the major population.

JERRY FALWELL: The ACLU's got to take a lot of blame for this.

PAT ROBERTSON: Well, yes.

JERRY FALWELL: And, I know that I'll hear from them for this. But, throwing God out successfully with the help of the federal court system, throwing God out of the public square, out of the schools. The abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked. And when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad. I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America. I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this happen'.

PAT ROBERTSON: Well, I totally concur, and the problem is we have adopted that agenda at the highest levels of our government. And so we're responsible as a free society for what the top people do. And, the top people, of course, is the court system.

JERRY FALWELL: Amen. Pat, did you notice yesterday? The ACLU, and all the Christ-haters, the People For the American Way, NOW, etc. were totally disregarded by the Democrats and the Republicans in both houses of Congress as they went out on the steps and called out on to God in prayer and sang 'God Bless America' and said 'let the ACLU be hanged'. In other words, when the nation is on its knees, the only normal and natural and spiritual thing to do is what we ought to be doing all the time- calling upon God.

PAT ROBERTSON: Amen.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Will O'B wrote:
I think that might have been Oral Roberts. Similar last name, same employer, and the same modus operandi. They could be twins.

Will O'Ban
That's the dude!!! My mistake. These larger than life (or God) faux-preachers (IMHO) all start to seem the same to me after a while. :P
Jack

Post by Jack »

I just want to point out that Pat Robertson doesn't represent all Christians in the US or any other country. He doesn't even represent most of us. Few people actually take him seriously, but those who do seem to have a lot of money and political influence.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

If he was a muslim, and the person he was calling for the assasination of was a [friend of the US, rather than someone being demonised, Robertson would be in jail right now for advocating terrorism.

I guess the muslims are right: it really is a war against Islam.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

If he was a muslim, and the person he was calling for the assasination of was a [friend of the US, rather than someone being demonised, Robertson would be in jail right now for advocating terrorism.
bingo!
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

Venezuela Slams Robertson Over Remarks
Aug 23 2:56 PM US/Eastern

By CHRISTOPHER TOOTHAKER
Associated Press Writer

CARACAS, Venezuela

Venezuela's vice president accused religious broadcaster Pat Robertson on Tuesday of making "terrorist statements" by suggesting that American agents assassinate President Hugo Chavez.

On Monday, Robertson said on the Christian Broadcast Network's "The 700 Club": "We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability."

"We don't need another $200 billion war to get rid of one, you know, strong-arm dictator," he continued. "It's a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with."

Vice President Jose Vicente Rangel said Venezuela was studying its legal options, adding that how Washington responds to Robertson's comments would put its anti-terrorism policy to the test.

"The ball is in the U.S. court, after this criminal statement by a citizen of that country," Rangel told reporters. "It's huge hypocrisy to maintain this discourse against terrorism and at the same time, in the heart of that country, there are entirely terrorist statements like those."

The U.S. government distanced itself from Robertson's comments.

Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld, appearing at a Pentagon news conference, said when asked: "Our department doesn't do that kind of thing. It's against the law. He's a private citizen. Private citizens say all kinds of things all the time."

State Department spokesman Sean McCormack called Robertson's remarks "inappropriate."

"This is not the policy of the United States government. We do not share his views," McCormack said.

There was no immediate comment from Chavez, who was winding up an official visit to Cuba on Tuesday. Scores of journalists awaited Chavez at the airport, where he was to board a plane for a trip to Jamaica to discuss a Venezuela initiative to supply petroleum to Caribbean countries under favorable financial terms.

Chavez has emerged as one of the most outspoken critics of President Bush, accusing the United States of conspiring to topple his government and possibly backing plots to assassinate him. U.S. officials have called the accusations ridiculous.

"You know, I don't know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it," Robertson said. "It's a whole lot cheaper than starting a war ... and I don't think any oil shipments will stop."

Rangel called Robertson "a man who seems to have quite a bit of influence in that country," adding sarcastically that his words were "very Christian."

The comments "reveal that religious fundamentalism is one of the great problems facing humanity in these times," Rangel said.

Robertson's remarks appear likely to further stoke tensions between Washington and Caracas. Chavez has repeatedly claimed that American officials are plotting to oust or kill him _ charges U.S. officials have denied.

The United States is the top buyer of Venezuelan crude, but Chavez has made it clear he wants to decrease the country's dependence on the U.S. market by finding other buyers.

Chavez has survived a brief 2002 coup, a devastating two-month strike that ended in early 2003 and recall referendum in 2004. The former army paratroop commander, a close ally of Cuban leader Fidel Castro, is up for re-election next year, and polls suggest he is the favorite.
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Isn't he also praying for the prompt, uh, "removal" by God, of the oldest liberal Supreme Court Justice in the United States?
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Blackwood wrote:what i don't get: why are so many Christian conservatives for the death penalty? How is that in any shape or form consistent with the 10 commandments?
People like Pat Robertson are (sadly) inept when it comes to Christian Theology, despite the fact that they hold themselves up as authoritative.

And I echo what Cran said....most of us that consider ourselves to be Christian don't put much credence to what he, and others like him, have to say. He's nothing more than a mouthpiece for the GOP (although I tend to think that right about now, they'd like to assassinate HIM ;) ).

Edited to add the word don't...it's exclusion changed what I had intended to say :P
Last edited by izzarina on Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Jack

Post by Jack »

izzarina wrote:(although I tend to think that right about now, they'd like to assassinate HIM ;) ).
And it's probably not the first time, either! :lol:

(I had the same exact thought but my pacifist mind wouldn't let me say it. )
Last edited by Jack on Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I remember when Pat Robertson was running for the Republican nomination for the president. Jimmy Swaggart (at that time the most prominent television preacher) at first opposed his run, saying that Robertson had some ideas of establishing a kingdom of God on earth, which theocratic goal was contrary to the beliefs of the religious group that both Swaggart and my own family were members of.

Robertson then renounced his ministerial ordination, and Swaggart changed his tune, claiming to support Robertson's bid.

Having been in some of the troubled spots abroad, and seen Pat Robertson's operations there, I can say a few things about him. One is that he really does do a lot of aid work. He sent large amounts of medicines and such which our missionaries distributed through the barrios (villages). Another thing I can say about him is I don't think he's a very nice guy, on a personal level. He's perfectly happy to fire long-time employees to make room for his own relatives, and things like that.

Pat Robertson has wielded a lot of power. I would think he's proven to himself that running himself is not the way he can exercise that power. His large media empire (some of which, ironically, has been sold to Disney, whom he had previously supported boycotting), his political organizations, and his graduate schools are his means to push his agenda. Would that he focused the energy even more on the more noble aspects of his work.

In the end, I don't think it's worth the unchristian crowd getting in a huff over. I don't believe he's made the USA, or anywhere else, a more Christian country.
Reasonable person
Walden
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

jbarter wrote:I saw a similar report about this earlier on today but I didn't know if he was just a nutter or someone who might have a following in the US.
In his case the two aren't exclusive of each other.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

izzarina wrote:
Blackwood wrote:what i don't get: why are so many Christian conservatives for the death penalty? How is that in any shape or form consistent with the 10 commandments?
People like Pat Robertson are (sadly) inept when it comes to Christian Theology, despite the fact that they hold themselves up as authoritative.
Don't get me wrong here, I'm not really pro death penalty, but they assume it's consistent with the Decalogue because execution's prescribed in the same portion of Exodus where you find the Commandments.
Reasonable person
Walden