www.whistlesmith.com

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

www.whistlesmith.com

Post by Dale »

I got another request for information on these whistles:

http://www.whistlesmith.com

It's kind of hard to search the forums because the word "whistlesmith" comes up a lot, obviously.

Anybody know anything about these?

Dale
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I have one, a high D. I was quite surprised that it sounded pretty good. I do not consider myself experienced enough to do any sort of review. I will see if I can get Doc Jones to do a write up or maybe send it to Wanderer for his perusal.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
ShadowBG625
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Post by ShadowBG625 »

I would call them relatively decent whistles. They are made of PVC, and have a clear, smooth sound. I have always admired PVC whistles, because they have such a "calm" sound, much like wooden whistles. Tried my luck at making a PVC whistle, and lets just say, I prefer having all my fingers. :lol: They do have tuning slides. I don't know if they can make special keys, but their website only showcases Bb, C, D and Low G. They do come in a few different colors. All in all, the whistles are economically feasible...and...as a bonus...they throw in a thumbrest (or thumbrings as they call them)!!! I don't know how many of you like thumbrests. I personally don't. I'm not the best person to come to for whistle reviews, but this is my opinion. :thumbsup:
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I have seen them selling Low Ds on ebay also. I have been thinking about buying one to review.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

ShadowBG625 wrote:They do have tuning slides.
:-? My High D does not. I was just checking to make sure though and I found that the mouthpiece part moves and the angle of attack on the blade and the width of the windway can be messed with. I don't know if this is a feature or a flaw, but I WILL be doing some experimenting to see what effects can be conjured up!!!! :twisted:

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I find it surprising that Song of the Sea doesn't carry them -- they're in Maine, although a couple hundred miles away. Maine retailers, especially those on the coast, usually do their best to support Maine artisans.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
ShadowBG625
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Post by ShadowBG625 »

IDAwHOa wrote: I WILL be doing some experimenting to see what effects can be conjured up!!!! :twisted:
Such tyranny. The horror!!! So, if by any chance they don't have tuning slides, then why did the wensite lie to me!!! :roll:

:poke: Hey, just been wanting to use this emoticon for something. hehe!
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

ShadowBG625 wrote:
IDAwHOa wrote: I WILL be doing some experimenting to see what effects can be conjured up!!!! :twisted:
Such tyranny. The horror!!! So, if by any chance they don't have tuning slides, then why did the wensite lie to me!!! :roll:

Being "tunable" and having a "tuning slide" are not necessarily the same thing. The movability of the head makes it tunable, I believe, and since it is a sliding motion, I suppose some might call it a "tuning slide". Maybe?
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
IDAwHOa

Post by IDAwHOa »

anniemcu wrote:
ShadowBG625 wrote:

Being "tunable" and having a "tuning slide" are not necessarily the same thing. The movability of the head makes it tunable, I believe, and since it is a sliding motion, I suppose some might call it a "tuning slide". Maybe?
The "cool" thing is, is that it ALSO rotates!!! Maybe I will take some pics and post. This would happen early next week after my parents leave from their visit.

anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

IDAwHOa wrote:
anniemcu wrote:
ShadowBG625 wrote: Such tyranny. The horror!!! So, if by any chance they don't have tuning slides, then why did the wensite lie to me!!! :roll:

The "cool" thing is, is that it ALSO rotates!!! Maybe I will take some pics and post. This would happen early next week after my parents leave from their visit.
:o It's ... it's ... Not the one from the Exorcist!?!? :boggle:
anniemcu
---
---
---
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

I'm curious who it is. The domain registry entry is rather cryptic.

Code: Select all

Registrant:
 Blogpire
 555 Somewhere
 Somewhere, MA 05555
 US

Domain Name: WHISTLESMITH.COM

Administrative Contact:
 Owner, Domain dns@blogpire.com
 555 Somewhere
 Somewhere, MA 05555
 US

Technical Contact:
 Owner, Domain dns@blogpire.com
 555 Somewhere
 Somewhere, MA 05555
 US

Record last updated 03-02-2004 05:31:22 PM
Record expires on 02-12-2006
Record created on 02-12-2004

Domain servers in listed order:
	NS1.DREAMHOST.COM	66.33.206.206
	NS2.DREAMHOST.COM	66.201.54.66
	NS3.DREAMHOST.COM	66.33.216.216
The site is by Rod Brewer designs and mentions doing screen printing so I'm assuming the the Whistlesmith is Rod Brewer.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

It really is pretty cryptic.
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:I'm curious who it is. The domain registry entry is rather cryptic.
The site is by Rod Brewer designs and mentions doing screen printing so I'm assuming the the Whistlesmith is Rod Brewer.
It is Rod Brewer. I read it on the caption of one of the photos. I don't see anything particularly cryptic. I don't put anything more than the avbsolute requirements in most registrations myself.

"The WhistleSmith is a Division of Rod Brewer Designs Inc."
anniemcu
---
---
---
Unseen122

Post by Unseen122 »

I was also just on ebay and looked at one of these whistles and the user name on ebay is RodBrewerdesigns so that is more than likely who it is.
chas

Post by chas »

anniemcu wrote:
Daniel_Bingamon wrote:I'm curious who it is. The domain registry entry is rather cryptic.
It is Rod Brewer. I read it on the caption of one of the photos. I don't see anything particularly cryptic. I don't put anything more than the avbsolute requirements in most registrations myself.

"The WhistleSmith is a Division of Rod Brewer Designs Inc."
I haven't been to the site in awhile, but I remember them having extensive pics, clippings, etc., with captions. It may have changed, but (evidently short of the domain registry), nothing was remotely cryptic or secretive a couple of months ago. Plus, he's sold quite a bit on ebay; you can check his feedback.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.