Anyone playing an Alba Whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Ron Rowe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ron Rowe »

If so what do you think of them?
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Tried a couple of "low ones" in Hobgoblin in London, when looking for a new low D. Didn't like them very much - something with the tone of the whistle, which was metallic and slightly raspy (and IMO inferior to more or less every other low D I've tried).

In addition, someone has mentioned problems with tuning on some models.

Jens

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jens_Hoppe on 2001-08-21 04:36 ]</font>
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

I finally saw one in the flesh, so to speak, at Hobgoblibn's booth at Gebhart Woods. It's attractive, I suppose, although I'm not sure I'd want a whistle that looks more like a piece of Dutch pottery. Plus it's pretty pricey.
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

My wife is so happy with me right now for writing that tune for her (No Tony, I didn't buy a new expensive whistle and not tell her) that she wants to buy me a new whistle and the alba was one of the ones I was considering. I want something that one of the shops has in stock, I don't want to have to wait months again for a whistle. Guess I'll keep looking.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I bought one (a low d) and then returned it, worst whistle I've ever purchased think. The tuning was awful.

Loren
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Sindt, Hoover, or perhaps O'Riordan???

The first two, you could probably get pretty fast, and the O'...well, let's just say you won't have to wait months either. (more like years!!) :smile:

B~

Post by Guest »

If you buy any thing from Hob goblin some times you have to wait, as if the don't have it in stock they have to order it and most time is they wait till the have severial orders.So why not deal with the maker one to one. it will save time and money as most UK
makers don't charge VAT
wizzy
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

Dale's latest newsletter says the Alba has been improved. Not sure if what he received is an experimental model, or it's already being sold. You might want to clarify this first, since it's not cheap.
Blayne Chastain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Blayne Chastain »

Played a couple in Seattle at Dusty Strings... Horrible...

:smile:
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

A good friend of mine has a soprano D and a low Eb Alba, and they both sound fantastic... or at least they do when he plays them. :lol:
I personally have never had the opportunity to play one, but hopefully I'll get to someday.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I had a toot on a Bb in Hobgoblin in London. The staff reckon it's the best in the Alba range.

It was nice compared to the Generation Bb, but not nice enough for me to spend £80 plus on when the Generation came in at £3.50.

I generally dislike whistles with metal mouthpieces because of the taste you get off them, though I understand this may dissipate in time. The Alba is metal with a plastic fipple.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
drdagmar

Post by drdagmar »

I play a tuneable high d. It is well in tune, has a lovely sound but: it is the loudest whistle I ever heard, it requires very much air. So I do not practice on it at home very often, it can be quite embarassing if you hit the wrong note (as unfortunately I often do...:smile: )because everybody will notice immediately. It is definetely the wrong whistle for a beginner like me and can cause severe headache but I like it anyway. But I like my Overton Low D much better and so I am on Colin Goldies waiting list for a high D ( cannot wait for it to arrive)
Just my two beginners cents, Dagmar
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

I had a non-tuneable Bb Alba for a while and I thought it was very good. Very nice looking, lovely airy sound, excellent playing characteristics. Loud, but not overpoweringly so by any means. It did take a lot of air though.

It was given to me and since I had no particular need for it I offered it to a friend. She's a powerful flute player, so the air requirement is no problem for her. She loves the whistle.
Messing

Post by Messing »

Has anybody realised yet, this thread is a year old... I presume Ron has made up his mind by now :smile: