Cocobolo vs. Bloodwood (for a Flute)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.

Which wood would you choose for a Flute if faced with this choice?

Cocobolo
79%
Bloodwood
21%

Total votes: 14

Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Cocobolo vs. Bloodwood (for a Flute)

Post by Unseen122 »

I was wondering what everyone else wuld choose if faced witht the descion. I know what I would get Bloodwood because they are very similar woods but Bloodwood just looks cooler.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I would have said cocobolo is the prettier wood. Take a look at my Hammy in the flute lichen thread. Unfortunately, it does darken with age, and there's nothing to be done about that. My many-year-old cocobolo Schultz whistle might as well be blackwood.

Also, cocobolo is a wonderful flute wood. It's almost as dense as blackwood, and even oilier. I'm not familiar with the characteristics of bloodwood, so dunno how it works and holds up vs. the rosewoods.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I think the grain is tighter on Bloodwood but it is slightly less dense I am not sure of the tonal differences though.
phcook
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by phcook »

Is it possible to post bloodwood pics?

Thanks!
Breizh soner
Sillydill

Choice of Wood

Post by Sillydill »

Hey Avery,

Cocobolo is a very oily wood, this is what helps to preserve it and keep it dimentionally stable. I've wondered why more makers don't use (or offer) Cocobolo. You don't see your flute when your playing it anyway.

Bloodwood has a tendancy to twist, when reworked, even after proper drying and ageing, but finishes well.

Cocobolo (also referred to as Mexican Rosewood), darkens with age, but also due to the high oil content many people are allergic.

Best of Luck!

Jordan
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

In my openion it would be foolish to chose bloodwood over cocobolo for a flute. Bloodwood is a hard durable wood, so are many others, like dogwood but they do no have the other properties that make for the best wood for a flute. The other qualities are oilieness, density, stiffness, and stability. Cocobolo and blackwood both have a density of about 1.; heavier than water. The jury will be out for a couple hundred years on wheither blackwook is better than cocobolo. They have very similar properties except cocobolo is down right waxie and a grain is still a little visible in cocobolo after years of use, although each tree is different. I have quality flutes made of both. I have a German-made, 1838ish Meyer 8 key in blackwood, and a Gallagher replica of the Rudall-Rose used by Chris Norman on his CDs. They are both small hole flutes with very similar sounds. I love both flutes but I love the feel and looks of the cocobolo more, I have to say.

I would guess that blackwood and cocus have been used more than cocobolo because the colonial German, French and English were not as exposed to the west coast of Mexico as much as they were Afracia and Cuba.

In any case, I would think that bloodwood is not even in the same catagory as cocobolo.

Nelson
chas

Re: Choice of Wood

Post by chas »

Sillydill wrote:I've wondered why more makers don't use (or offer) Cocobolo. You don't see your flute when your playing it anyway.
Me, too. Would one of our resident flutemakers like to comment?

Glenn Schultz made cocobolo flutes, and I have a gorgeous one. Hammy made me a cocobolo flute, and Olwell will make them if you ask nicely.

Avery, who makes bloodwood flutes?
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

None of the above.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

kkrell wrote:None of the above.

Kevin Krell
Kevin is a purist... :roll:
Actually I am just finishing up on a Cocobolo flute. The wood is very hard and oily. I think it is a good tone wood. The one problem is that I have become allergic to it! So, I think the Cocobolo flutes are numbered in my life! I will bore you all with a photo when I get done. :P
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

Alergy is a problem to some when making a flute, but after it is done you can paint a bit is super glue around the embochure and alergy is no problem thereafter for the performer, I made sure and checked with many before commiting.

Nelson

Nelson
chas

Post by chas »

Care to elaborate? What do you prefer? Why?
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

chas wrote:
Care to elaborate? What do you prefer? Why?
Oh, the cocobolo is pretty enough. I'm just terrified of having allergic reactions. Otherwise, I see a cocus flute in my future. I'm happy enough with blackwood, and have a boxwood Casey Burns flute I hope won't warp. I suppose I prefer a "sleeper" that doesn't stand out, rather than a glamorous flute that does.

I prefer my rosewood in guitars, and many of the other so-called hardwoods seem to be brittle. Back when I had planned to build a guitar, I had a fretboard cut from Macassar Ebony - a lovely piece that is.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Just a thought - have you considered red lancewood?
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Jon - I'd love to see a picture of the finished flute...but count me out if you meant you'd post a picture of your allergic reaction - I see too many unwanted pictures of medical conditions at work.

Eric
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Jayhawk wrote:Jon - I'd love to see a picture of the finished flute...but count me out if you meant you'd post a picture of your allergic reaction - I see too many unwanted pictures of medical conditions at work.

Eric
Good one! No, my allergy would be a scary picture... :D
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon