Dolly Parton

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Do you like Dolly Parton's music?

Yes.
67%
No.
23%
Other answer (explain).
10%

Total votes: 30

Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Dolly Parton

Post by Jack »

I got Dolly Parton's CD called "Just Because I'm A Woman."

It's a compilation CD where people other than Dolly sing her songs, in order to showcase her (often overlooked) talent as a songwriter.

Here are the women and Dolly's songs they cover on the album:
  • Alison Kraus, 9 to 5
    Melissa Etheridge, I Will Always Love You
    Norah Jones, The Grass Is Blue
    Joan Osborne, Do I Ever Cross Your Mind
    Shelby Lynne, The Seeker
    Mindy Smith, Jolene
    Emmylou Harris, To Daddy
    Shania Twain, Coat Of Many Colors
    Kasey Chambers, Little Sparrow
    Sinéad O'Connor, Dagger Through The Heart
    Allison Moorer, Light Of A Clear Blue Morning
    Me'shell N'Degéocello, Two Doors Down
    Dolly Parton, Just Because I'm A Woman
Often, people think of Dolly Parton just as a woman with giant hoo-has or as a drag queen of sorts, but I think this album of hers in particular, since the songs are sung by other people, shows off her amazing talent as a songwriter.

Since Whitney Houston made "I Will Always Love You" so famous, it's interesting to hear Melissa Etheridge sing it because she treats it so differently than either Dolly or Whitney did with their versions. So many people don't even know that Dolly Parton wrote that song. Sinéad O'Connor does a really good "old time" version of Dagger Through The Heart as well. Shaniah Twain's version of "Coat of Many Colors" sounds really close to the original but is still really really good for the ears.

There's a lot of liner notes, lyrics, and personal reflections about Dolly Parton and her songs from each of the artists featured as well. This isn't meant to be any kind of review, it's just to say that I really like this CD, and Dolly Parton...
Last edited by Jack on Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I've always thought her quite talented. I heard some tracks from one of her recent bluegrass albums recently.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
missy

Post by missy »

I voted yes.

I don't particularly like her singing voice - but I think she is a fantastic musician (when she takes off the fake nails) and a wonderful song writer.

I also have the utmost admiration for her because she "remembers her own". Instead of living in Nashville or such, she came back home to Seiverville and Pigeon Forge, and has helped pump up the ecomony of the entire area. She also laughs AT herself, which is a very healthy attitude.
She's more than paid her dues, she did what she had to to get ahead, but I think she is also just plain "good people".
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Congratulations

Re: Dolly Parton

Post by Congratulations »

I haven't forgiven her for covering Stairway to Heaven.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

She's a riot in these public radio interviews:

http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/fea ... pt/parton/

"I want to believe -- and I do believe -- that eventually people will see... that underneath all this hair, there is a brain, and underneath these big ol' boobs there's an even bigger heart."

http://www.npr.org/programs/wesat/featu ... arton.html

She's so disarmingly unpretentious that I can't help but like her.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Despite what many people think of her, she is exceptionally talented. She has written quite a few wonderful songs. Whitney Houston also redid "I Will Always Love You" quite some time ago....Dolly did it way much better, IMHO. She is by far one of my more favorite country singer/songwriters.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Cranberry wrote:Melissa Etheridge, I Will Always Love You
I have never heard her rendition. Melissa Etheridge has a very unique quality to her voice, very Janice Joplin-esque.....when she sang Janice's songs at the Grammy's (I think it was the Grammy's..either that or the American Music Awards) she was tremendous. Does she do this one well?
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Jack

Post by Jack »

izzarina wrote:
Cranberry wrote:Melissa Etheridge, I Will Always Love You
I have never heard her rendition. Melissa Etheridge has a very unique quality to her voice, very Janice Joplin-esque.....when she sang Janice's songs at the Grammy's (I think it was the Grammy's..either that or the American Music Awards) she was tremendous. Does she do this one well?
It's one of those songs that sometimes I love and sometimes I don't really care for. It sounds like a completely different song, I'll give her that. It's a lot slower and a lot more low-key and subtle. Melissa's voice gives it a whole new kinda atmosphere. It feels a lot more sad (in a good way) in my opinion but it takes some getting used to because most people are just so used to hearing the other two more famous versions.

I watched a CMT Crossroads special where Melissa and Dolly played each other's songs, and Melissa said the reason she chose this song to sing on the CD was because she knew nobody else would attempt it and she wanted to be brave. It's true. Few people would dare to sing that song after it was such a huge hit for Whitney Houston, but Melissa Etheridge took it on.

The other song I particularly like on the CD is Shaniah Twain's version of Coat of Many Colors. Shaniah said the reason she picked this song is because she could relate to its poverty theme (as can I) and her voice sounds really raw and un-polished in it, but she sounds a lot more personal than on a lot of her more refined music she puts out...
emmline

Post by emmline »

I voted neutral.
I have enjoyed some of her songs over the years, and find her personality to be often entertaining, but I wouldn't classify myself as a fan in the sense that I've ever bought her music, or sought her out as an entertainer.
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Closet admirer. And I'm not even a boob man.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I haven't really listened to her for a very long time. I know when I hear her voice I think it is very beautiful. I don't know what songs she has written but I do think she is a very good singer. I think I heard some of the bluegrass album somehow and it was good.
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

I've haven't listened to her in a while, I'm not a big fan of the country-pop that's taken over the industry. Give me Ricky Skaggs any day.

However, her early stuff is great and she's done two bluegrass inspired albums recently. <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce">Little Sparrow</a> is great, and I've heard the "The Grass is Blue" is good too.

Altan makes a guest appearance on Little Sparrow and Parton does the same on The Blue Idol.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I'm not particularly a Dolly Parton fan; however, I was in a situation once to hear her sing a religious song (not a ballad, but a really rousing song) that was one of the most affecting songs I've ever heard sung. I was in tears and I'm not a religious person. Wish I could remember the name of the song, but I'm not sure I even knew it at the time.

Susan
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Dolly is an incredibly talented and gifted artist, as well as being a genuinely good person. I especially enjoy the albums she's put out since joining Sugar Hill Records, particularly The Grass Is Blue, Little Sparrow and Halos & Horns.

I once heard an interview with her sister (Stella?). When asked whether she was worried about filling Dolly's shoes, she replied, "It's not her shoes I'm worried about!"
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Dolly has written many fine songs and is a very down to earth person.Any interview I have ever seen has been very funny and honest.

The Emmy Lou Harris version of "Coat of many colours" is well worth checking out.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats