R&D report: Copper doesn't sound any better than PVC (gr

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ninjaaron
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

R&D report: Copper doesn't sound any better than PVC (gr

Post by ninjaaron »

As you've probably all heard by now, I'm building a lot of flutes from PVC lately...

So I go out and spend the extra money on copper pipe. I take it home. It's about three times as difficult to work with, and it's harder on all the tools. I have to cut a lip plate for it (and spend forever filing it to the right fit), and it comes out a half step flat. So I make the embuocher (sp?) bigger and finally it's in tune...

And Blow, expecting to hear something... different than PVC. And I hear... The same thing, or very nearly. It's a touch different, but not hardly.

Conclusion: Save time, Save money, Save tools. Use PVC.
Everyone likes music
Daniel_Bingamon
antispam: No

Re: R&D report: Copper doesn't sound any better than PVC

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

ninjaaron wrote:As you've probably all heard by now, I'm building a lot of flutes from PVC lately...So I go out and spend the extra money on copper pipe. I take it home. It's about three times as difficult to work with, and it's harder on all the tools. I have to cut a lip plate for it (and spend forever filing it to the right fit), and it comes out a half step flat. So I make the embuocher (sp?) bigger and finally it's in tune...
For anyone making wood flutes, please ignore what I'm about to say.
This only applies with non-porous materials.

The PVC thickness and coppers thickness should contribute to a different sounding tone. A thin chimney on the metal instrument will produce a bright tone. The PVC, if schedule 40 grade is going to sound more like wood - unless you're using schedule 21 thin PVC.
You might consider having someone else play the instrument for you, believe it or not, the tone up close to ear is percieved very differently than across the room.
. The same thing, or very nearly. It's a touch different, but not hardly....Conclusion: Save time, Save money, Save tools. Use PVC.
PVC is great material to use for R&D
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: R&D report: Copper doesn't sound any better than PVC

Post by Jon C. »

ninjaaron wrote:As you've probably all heard by now, I'm building a lot of flutes from PVC lately...

...Use PVC.
Have you tryed using Sched. 80 PVC?
The wall is thicker. and gives a darker sound to the flute.
You can get it at the electrical wholesaler or maybe Homedepot.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

Thanks for the wise words Mr. Bass whistle man.

will look into the Sch 80 PVC.
Everyone likes music
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

ninjaaron wrote:... will look into the Sch 80 PVC.
And, you said in the thread wrapping thread about wrapping with thread:
PVC flutes are really boring to look at. White tubes with holes on them. I do my best to make them look nice, but a white tube is still a white tube, even if it's sanded, polished and beveled. Boring.
One cool thing about sch. 80 pvc. Instead of having boring white flutes, you can have suave, fashionable GRAY flutes :D
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

dow wrote:One cool thing about sch. 80 pvc. Instead of having boring white flutes, you can have suave, fashionable GRAY flutes :D
Oh, ok.
Everyone likes music
petercnm

Post by petercnm »

you might want to read this : http://iwk.mdw.ac.at/Forschung/english/ ... tner_e.htm
Very interesting if your into making flutes, and although no wooden flutes were tested, it gives you something to think.

Peter