R&D Report: Thread wrapping makes the flutes sound good

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ninjaaron
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

R&D Report: Thread wrapping makes the flutes sound good

Post by ninjaaron »

You discover things when you build stuff, like pocket lent.

More important than the pocket lent, you discover how to make things better.

I'm in the process of trying to start a flute making buisness over here (That sounds like a lot more than I'm actually doing... I'm building flutes and trying to sell them, simple as that), and I've been doing some expiremtneing.

PVC flutes are really boring to look at. White tubes with holes on them. I do my best to make them look nice, but a white tube is still a white tube, even if it's sanded, polished and beveled. Boring. I realize that PVC will never look as cool as exotic wood, or even normal wood, but I refuse to believe that PVC cannot look pretty.

So, I've been doing some thread wrapping on some of my flutes. It helps. They are still white tubes, but now they have some nice wrapping and all in nice colors and patterns.

Funny thing happens. I'm playing one of my flutes that I just finished wrapping, and then I play an identical flute that is plain. The wrapped flute has a stronger, more stable tone, and is rounder sounding at the same time. So I says to myself "Self, your probably going crazy, but you need to know if there is something to this..."

So I take two more identical flutes, wrap one, and leave the other. Same thing.

I don't really understand what it's all about, I am not some kind of physicisit, My education is in Bible.

This is my theory: The tension caused by the wrapping increases the rigitity on the inside the bore. This stablizes the wind tunnel, and causes fewer vibrations to be absorbed by flute body itself.

The effect seems most apparent when the thread wrapping is between the finger holes and the emboucher. I haven't done enough expirmenting to be sure of this, but it makes sense, kinda like a boehm flute will sound better if you improve the material of the head joint.

That is my report.
Last edited by ninjaaron on Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone likes music
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

That s very intresting.
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

My spelling is atrocious.

Apollogies.

sound it out.
Everyone likes music
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

Hello Ninja,

In Japan, they use for folk music (but also Kabuki theater and Nagauta music) a special type of little 7 hole flute, called shinobue.

Those flutes come in different form, wrapped or not:

Japanese flute players have the same theory about the influence of wrapping on sound. :)
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

Matt_Paris wrote:Hello Ninja,

In Japan, they use for folk music (but also Kabuki theater and Nagauta music) a special type of little 7 hole flute, called shinobue.

Japanese flute players have the same theory about the influence of wrapping on sound. :)
Interesting...

I'm turning Japanies! I think I'm turning Japanies, I really think so!

Here, I just uploaded a picture of me trying to make PVC look pretty.

Everyone likes music
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

That looks pretty cool.
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

From the photo it looks like the lapping is on the outside of the body?

A different situation to normal lapping on joints.

Kevin
norseman

Post by norseman »

Your wrapped flute does look pretty that way. The dark thread really stands out against the white PVC. The bottom end reminds me of fishnet stockings. :D

Bob
Failure is NOT an option - it comes bundled with the software.
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

COOL!

berti
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

norseman wrote:Your wrapped flute does look pretty that way. The dark thread really stands out against the white PVC. The bottom end reminds me of fishnet stockings. :D

Bob
Aaron Christianson: Maker of the sexiest PVC flutes in the world.
Everyone likes music
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

gorjuswrex wrote:From the photo it looks like the lapping is on the outside of the body?

A different situation to normal lapping on joints.

Kevin
That is correct. I am either to stupid or too lazy to figure out how to make a jointed flute.

My flutes are one peice.
Everyone likes music
Jens_Hoppe

Re: R&D Report: Thread wrapping makes the flutes sound g

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

ninjaaron wrote:This is my theory: The tension caused by the wrapping increases the rigitity on the inside the bore. This stablizes the wind tunnel, and causes fewer vibrations to be absorbed by flute body itself.
Could very well be. Or it could just be psychological. :D

Either way, it's an interesting experiment!
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Hmmmm . . . wrapping adds extra material to the wall of the flute. Could it be that it thus changes the composition of the wall and therefore the resonating properties?

Whereas before you had a thin PVC wall, after wrapping you have a composite PVC/thread wall which is 1.5 to 2 times (?) as thick as plain PVC. The wall is therefore thicker and it's not the same material.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Ok kids....here's the deal...

If I were to do a complete solution for the open-ended flute (acoustic resonator) as opposed to the closed (both ends) which I've already done, then I would have to include the outside surface of the flute in the boundary conditions (ignoring the fingers for now) So the surface contours of the outside do make a difference...not as much as if the thread was on the inside......but a difference which will be greatest near the holes etc etc
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

Hi Jack, are you saying that you calculated the pressure standing wave in a tube, closed or open; then calculated the bulge in the wall. Lets say they bulge an amount (delta)r, radially. The (delta)r will be the product of the pressure at the wall times the elastic modulous, right. How much does this (delta)r change the frequency of the resonator? In addition the tube has a naturel "bulge" resonance frequency, probably way up there. Is this out of the hearing range? This will put sidebands on the air resonance, way out there, but it has to sap some of the low frequency stuff, right?

Please send me any of the arithmatic you have done.

Nelson