No more mint sauce jokes...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

izzy wrote:
djm wrote:and I can assure you omnivorous happy as when I'm eatin' chocolate.
I can totally agree with you on that one! Which is a big part of the reason why I have not gone over to the "other" side as of yet
Okay, I'm confused. Chocolate isn't meat is it? Isn't it from a tree? Can't you be a vegetarian and eat chocolate? I know about carob and I don't know why people eat it, but surely it isn't because chocolate comes from an animal. :-? Well, except for chocolate milk of course.
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Post by I.D.10-t »

Bloomfield wrote:
djm wrote:If we weren't meant to eat meat it wouldn't taste so good! (an oldy but a goody) :D
I thought it was: If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat. ;)
Well man will do better!
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
emmline

Post by emmline »

Cynth wrote: Okay, I'm confused. Chocolate isn't meat is it? Isn't it from a tree? Can't you be a vegetarian and eat chocolate? I know about carob and I don't know why people eat it, but surely it isn't because chocolate comes from an animal. :-? Well, except for chocolate milk of course.
Of course chocolate is vegetarian. It comes from a bean, like coffee.
Why some people may sub carob (also a bean,) is because vegetarianism is often practiced as a part of "health-foodism," and many (especially 70's era) health foodies excluded chocolate on the basis of caffeine.
Most vegetarians I know embrace chocolate, thought the vegans eat only the dark (non-milk) variety.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

I.D.10-t wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:
djm wrote:If we weren't meant to eat meat it wouldn't taste so good! (an oldy but a goody) :D
I thought it was: If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat. ;)
Well man will do better!
What's wrong with that is that we need animals to produce manure to fertilise the soil and maintain soil structure. In addition there are many millions of hectares of the earth's surface that are unsuitable for growing arable crops yet which can support grazing animals (many upland areas for example). If all the agricultural land on earth should suddenly become crop-growing to the exclusion of animals we would suffer even greater chemical pollution than we do now.

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

SteveShaw wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote:
Bloomfield wrote: I thought it was: If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat. ;)
Well man will do better!
What's wrong with that is that we need animals to produce manure to fertilise the soil and maintain soil structure. In addition there are many millions of hectares of the earth's surface that are unsuitable for growing arable crops yet which can support grazing animals (many upland areas for example). If all the agricultural land on earth should suddenly become crop-growing to the exclusion of animals we would suffer even greater chemical pollution than we do now.

Steve
Well.. no ... we could easily continue to enjoy eggs and milk, both harvestable without taking, or unduely taxing the life of the animal, and still have the manure they produce for fertilizer, etc. Not eating meat would not exactly equate to erasing animals from the planet, after all.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

nano wrote:
Cynth wrote:nano, you've been duped and you are a dope. I think.
Cynth, why don't you say what you really think?
Aaaargh! I'm so embarrassed! :oops: I thought "dupe" could only be a verb and I am WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! It wasn't that I thought you were a dope, I thought you shouldn't say you were a dupe. So please accept my humble apologies!

:tomato: :tomato: :tomato: I am throwing tomatoes at myself. :lol:
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

emmline wrote:
Cynth wrote: Okay, I'm confused. Chocolate isn't meat is it? Isn't it from a tree? Can't you be a vegetarian and eat chocolate? I know about carob and I don't know why people eat it, but surely it isn't because chocolate comes from an animal. :-? Well, except for chocolate milk of course.
Of course chocolate is vegetarian. It comes from a bean, like coffee.
Why some people may sub carob (also a bean,) is because vegetarianism is often practiced as a part of "health-foodism," and many (especially 70's era) health foodies excluded chocolate on the basis of caffeine.
Most vegetarians I know embrace chocolate, thought the vegans eat only the dark (non-milk) variety.
It's the milk for me...although I don't think that I'd eliminate it completely out of my diet even if I were to eliminate meat, I have a bit of an intolerance to milk anyway. So despite my love of it, it might be better to not have it, at least as much.
Anyway, that's what I meant. I did know that chocolate is vegetarian. I think that I said what I did because of some kind of giant rift in the cosmos. :P

:wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Well, I just didn't want you to think there was anything wrong with chocolate! Oh I see, and there is milk in milk chocolate. I guess you don't like dark chocolate as well. I think I get it now. :lol:
djm

Post by djm »

I think the article ID10t posted is the kind of science that scares me most. Science does not know what all the components of our food do to us, which elements are good and in what quantities and, most especially, in what combinations. And yet here they go engineering something before they know what it is they need to engineer. Its great that they can do this stuff in the lab, but I would want there to be a whole lot more study in the field of nutrition before they add Franken-meat to the Franken-crops already being foisted upon us.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
missy

Post by missy »

djm- most of the beef and a lot of the chicken available in groceries today probably would fit your definition of "franken-meat" because of all the added hormones and antibiotics. Even buying "organic" or "free range" isn't a guarentee that you are avoiding these - unless you can find out exactly what the animals are fed and where that feed comes from.

(P.S. - I eat meat, btw)
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
emmline

Post by emmline »

izzarina wrote: I did know that chocolate is vegetarian. I think that I said what I did because of some kind of giant rift in the cosmos.
Quite alright Izz. This can happen. Most likely the rift you mention allowed some sort of hooved cacaodebeest from another dimension to briefly gallop by in your peripheral visual field.
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

SteveShaw wrote: Listen to this guy, people. Those of you that profess to dislike lamb are doing it wrong. Don't overcook. Avoid anything lean - lamb fat is wonderful (leg of lamb is nothing more than cat-food). Buy a whole shoulder weighing at least six and a half pounds and roast it for 30 mins. to the pound. Just season it a bit first and sprinkle chopped rosemary on it if you have it (NOT dried - please!)
I absolutely agree...my favorite lamb dish is lamb chops (seared on the outside, rare on the inside) in a rosemary-lemon sauce. Fresh rosemary and lamb are a wonderful combination.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Don't think I'm not taking careful note of who is eating what around here . . . :evil:
Cotelette d'Agneau
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Lambchop wrote:Don't think I'm not taking careful note of who is eating what around here . . . :evil:
Lol..I'm from Texas. For us, vegetarians are as mythical as the easter bunny ;)