Tunes that make me homicidally depressed* ):

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Cynth wrote:
I did think of a particular song that drives me insane----The Little Drummer Boy. I imagine it's been mentioned by now.
Good call. That one's VILE.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

The Weekenders wrote:
cowtime wrote:
TomB wrote:He Stopped Loving Her Today!
I'd put anything by Mr. Possum on the homicidal/hysterical list.
My husband just loves anything he does. It's torturefor me to be trapped in a vehicle with that stuff blaring.
Muskrat Love.
LOL :lol: :lol:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

It was before the really bad corporate tie-in days but that Melanie song about the Roller Skate and Brand New Key brought forth an unpleasant reaction in the adolescent Weekender...

To this day, I have never been able to figure out what the heck the deal is with that somewhat calypso song about "In the Summertime, when the weather is high, you can reach right up and touch the Sky." And the classic line "If her Daddy's poor, you can do what you feel" clinched it as a song that made me feel mildly confused if not homicidally depressed. It was actually a case of "genre" anxiety.

But now it reminds me of Aruba so that's not good.

Editing in: I just checked the whole thread and somehow missed
"Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro... get out the retch bucket againski.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

The Weekenders wrote: that Melanie song about the Roller Skate and Brand New Key
Oh, I like that one. Chirpy and fun. I think it has a hidden meaning. :)

I also like Little Drummer Boy. I had no idea that there were people who didn't like it, but that could explain the bad reaction I got with it last Christmas. Here I thought the problem was my playing . . .
Editing in: I just checked the whole thread and somehow missed
"Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro... get out the retch bucket againski.
OK, I'm not looking at the line above. If I do, I'll hear it again, and I'll have nightmares. That song, literally, makes me physically ill.

"Hotel California," does, too. I don't know what it means, but it gives me the heebie-jeebies.

The only song worse than those two is "Wildfire." It turned me off of owls for years. Also snow.
Cotelette d'Agneau
aderyn_du
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

Lambchop wrote:

"Hotel California," does, too. I don't know what it means, but it gives me the heebie-jeebies.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Congrats on the 1K+, Lambchop!
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

ennyn wrote:
Lambchop wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Congrats on the 1K+, Lambchop!
Thanks! Did you see my blue ribbon? I'm so excited! It's my first one!
And the smoking jacket is sooo nice!

I wrote heebie-jeebies before I read about your poor toenail. I get those all the time, you know, from my trotting shoes. Yours sounds painful, though. :sniffle:
Cotelette d'Agneau
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

Allegro from 1st Keyboard Concerto, by JS Bach.

What utter nonsense.
Everyone likes music
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

The Weekenders wrote:that Melanie song about the Roller Skate and Brand New Key
The Wurzels did a great version of that called I've Got A Brand New Combine Harvester.
The Weekenders wrote:To this day, I have never been able to figure out what the heck the deal is with that somewhat calypso song about "In the Summertime, when the weather is high, you can reach right up and touch the Sky." And the classic line "If her Daddy's poor, you can do what you feel" clinched it as a song that made me feel mildly confused if not homicidally depressed. It was actually a case of "genre" anxiety.
That was used to great effect in a road safety advert a few years back in the UK. Just as the song reached the line "Have a drink, have a drive, go out and see what you can find" you got a shot of a car wrapped round a tree on a country road.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Lambchop wrote:Oh, I like that one. Chirpy and fun. I think it has a hidden meaning. :)
When you don't know the real meaning behind a song, it's always a safe assumption to say the song is about drugs. I'm not sure how rollerskates and keys fit into my theory, but I can assure you that they do. If anything, you just listen to her voice as she sings, and you have to conclude that she's on something :P
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Lamby wrote:I also like Little Drummer Boy. I had no idea that there were people who didn't like it, but that could explain the bad reaction I got with it last Christmas. Here I thought the problem was my playing . . .
OH, I'm sure it wasn't your playing Lamby :lol: . The people were fighting a tremendous urge to flee and then were probably trying to choke down sort of weird primitive sounds that were burbling up in them. Being polite people, they couldn't run from the room (which you can do if you are in Wal-Mart for example where I've heard it play in EARLY OCTOBER :x ), and they might have been taking a risk of having a stroke since I'm sure their blood pressure was quite elevated. How bout Oh come, oh come, Emmanuel? That's a nice song.
missy

Post by missy »

ok - ok - I've got a new one now (after the rounds of picnics, etc. from this summer)

That country song that has the "Save a horse, ride a cowboy" in it. It was cute the first time. It was ok the second time. It's gotten REALLY bad after 100 or so times!!!!! :moreevil:
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
net_ferg

Post by net_ferg »

On topic: Nothing makes me want to vomit more than Toby Keith does.

A little off topic: Am I the only person on the forum that doesn't have a problem with rap? I love hearing people complain about how rap is about nothing but violence and drug use and then asking them how much they've actually heard :roll: . I like many kinds of music for many different reasons, but I have a hard time finding any genre that can regularly match the lyrical quality I often find in rap. Let's face it, in literary circles, no other genre grabs as much academic attention nowadays. Then again, I guess I do like it better for its poetic qualities than the musical.

As far as country goes, give me anything but that nasally Nashville sound. It's another one of those genres that I hear people complain about all of the time, but I can normally get them to eat their words by popping in one CD - anything by the Highwaymen (Johnny Cash, Kris Kristofferson, Waylon Jennings, and Willie Nelson).
missy

Post by missy »

I'm serious in this question:

How do you HEAR the lyrics in rap? Or perhaps what I'm calling rap isn't the same as what you are referring to?

What I'm calling rap is the "vroomp, vroomp, vroomp" ear splitting bass that rocks the car and shakes MY windows when the car drives past. When I can pick out some lyrics from that vibrating confusion, I hear, oh, five or six words repeated over and over that would have had me eating a bar of Ivory at one time in my life.

I've also heard some Christian rap - some of which was pretty well written. But I also am not a big fan of synthesized music, and track mixing seems to be in the same vein to me. What I did find fascinating in the Christian rap was that all the melodies were minor keys.

So what I'm calling rap may not be what you are???
Missy

s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I'm serious in this question:

How do you HEAR the lyrics in rap? Or perhaps what I'm calling rap isn't the same as what you are referring to?

What I'm calling rap is the "vroomp, vroomp, vroomp" ear splitting bass that rocks the car and shakes MY windows when the car drives past. When I can pick out some lyrics from that vibrating confusion, I hear, oh, five or six words repeated over and over that would have had me eating a bar of Ivory at one time in my life.

Missy, let's face it: you have crossed the generation divide, and will never return.

Your comments about rap can -- and have -- been said by the older generation about every new form of popular music for at least the past century.

"That rock and roll isn't music! All you can hear is BOOM BOOM BOOM!"

"That Elvis Presley looks like such a nice boy, but when he opens his mouth, all he sings about is S-E-X!"

"This new-fangled jazz music is nothing but NOISE!"

"Irish music all sounds the same"

"How can you tell one classical piece from another?"
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
missy

Post by missy »

yeah - but simon, I purposely listen to music to HEAR the nuances and differences. So something really has to be "similar" for me to hear it that way. And, I like bass instruments and low sounds (it frustrates me to no end that my darn hands are just too small to play a low D whistle!), so the bass thumping usually doesn't bother me in songs. What I'm hearing from those cars, however, is not bass - it's, well, I don't know WHAT to call it.

I mean - I've blown my share of speakers playing "Inna Gada Davida" and Bob Marley. This rap stuff I just don't get.

(P.S. - I hated disco, too)
Missy