Age of pipers

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.

What age bracket so you fall within

<21
10%
21-30
12%
31-40
33%
41-50
30%
51-60
14%

Total votes: 99

goldy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Age of pipers

Post by goldy »

This is not a particularly substantial poll, but I just thought I'd check on something I've been wondering.

I am of the assumption that most of you guys are middle aged, but the contact I have had with some pipers in the forum through PMs has contradicted this. I am sure that there are lots of whipper snappers out there so this poll is aimed to discover the spread of ages in the Forum.

I myself am 29 (one of the whipper snappers)

And no... unfortunately I have not included a silly option for you crazy members (you know who you are!) - You'll just have to give a real answer to the poll. Although there's nothing stopping you posting something silly.
Last edited by goldy on Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they all manage to live in the same box.
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

32....can I be counted as a whippersnapper, too? 8)

J.
goldy

Post by goldy »

feadogin wrote:32....can I be counted as a whippersnapper, too? 8)

J.
I dunno... you're in that middle age range on the poll board, but you are close. I would personally consider you a whipper snapper. However, I work as a public servant for the Australian Government and administer legislation affecting overseas trained doctors so I will therefore apply my usual beurocracy and consult the guidelines that I have invented surrounding this poll question.

My response is as follows:
From the information you have provided me, your age falls within the 31-40 age range, which is located halfway into the list of age ranges. Therefore, for the purposes of the Age Range Act 2005 , you are located outside of the of the 'Whipper Snapper' range and are considered to be one of the pipers who is neither a whipper snapper nor middle aged. I must adhere to the guidelines when making decisions and am unable to apply my disrection to this matter. If you wish to appeal this decision, please respond within 28 days, providing supporting documentation as to why you should be granted the 'whipper snapper' title. For enquiries concerning the Age Range Act 2005, please PM me.

Sorry mate - you just missed out!
Last edited by goldy on Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they all manage to live in the same box.
goldy

Post by goldy »

Ah... what the hell! - I have the authority to change the Age Range Act so I'll allow you to be considered a whipper snapper, but I don't want any others of you to go trying to bend the rules any further.

Those of you who are 32 are now whipper snappers, but those 33 or older are not. THERE WILL BE NO MORE EXCEPTIONS TO THIS RULE!
djm

Post by djm »

Diddle, I say! If you want to be a whippersnapper you just have to believe! Do you believe in whippersnappers? Do you? If you really believe, you must clap your hands (before Goldy's light goes out!) :o

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
AlanB
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Age of pipers

Post by AlanB »

Last edited by AlanB on Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

What about those of us that are off the scale. I'm 96 and a half years old and still have my own teeth :party:
morten
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by morten »

Steampacket wrote:What about those of us that are off the scale. I'm 96 and a half years old and still have my own teeth :party:
96? I thought you were older than me Tom?

See you at Tønder!
/Morten

No I'm really only 14 years old.
Really.
It's true.
You can ask my wife.

:P
billh

Post by billh »

err, isn't this really a poll of the age of internet pipers?

:P
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"See you at Tønder! " Morten.

Hi Morten - Not sure as there is so little Irish content this year that we are considering waiting until next year. There's the Mike McGoldrick Band, but we're thinking they'll just play mostly new compositions or low whistle stuff, and are not that interesting to listen to.

We'll definitely go to the Copenhagen Irish festival though. Still if it's great weather we may go down to Tönder for the sessions. Did you get your Brad Angus chanter reed up and running by the way?
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

35, but the combination of career, parenting and piping has added another 10 yrs.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Goldy, you need to add to the poll list those pipers 60 and up... after all, their experience and long developed skill are vital to the continuing tradition of Uilleann Piping.

I'm only 43, but there are days where I feel 143... like today.
boyd
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Hey goldy...i see you oversee doctors getting into Oz.

Dya think I could pop over and work for a bit?

...the weather here is miserable and I need cheering up :o

...it seems to rain all the time, yet there's not enough water in the river for the salmon to run :cry:

Age...?...not a whippersnapper, anyway...but i was when I started

Boyd
www.grantownhealthcentre.co.uk
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

I also be 43. And I also think that this poll should not end at 60. People actually live past that age. My parents are in their early to mid 70's and don't seem old at all.

feadogin, you are still a whippersnaper.
Sylvain

Post by Sylvain »

but I look 25
and I feel 80
after 1H00 of uilleann pipes playing
Musicalement,
Sylvain

E.mail : cronan.srATwandadoo.fr (replace AT with @)