What do you Watch?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jbarter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jbarter »

TomB wrote:
OnTheMoor wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote: Lets see how thin we can make them!!! :twisted:
Make what?
I've forgotten what we are doing! :P
Will you guys quit it? I can't take all the scrolling. :boggle:
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Jack

Post by Jack »

jbarter wrote:
TomB wrote:
OnTheMoor wrote: Make what?
I've forgotten what we are doing! :P
Make your mouse do the scrolling. If it has a button on top you can push it down and it will scroll for you.
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

Nanohedron wrote:The Weather Channel.

. . . It's not like I can't see out the windows.
That reminds me of when I was working as a disc jockey at a radio
station in Dallas. The announcer's booth had no windows and all I had to
go on was the weather forecast coming over the AP wire (teletype). It
kept saying that it was to be partly cloudy and mild all day. And I kept
announcing that it was partly cloudy and mild outdoors . . . a beautiful day
to be outside in the Big D. That is until I received a phone call from an
irate listener who had these 5 little words to say before slamming down
the phone, "LOOK OUT THE WINDOW, DIPS**T." It turns out there was a
huge downpour. :oops:

Will O'Ban
Last edited by Will O'B on Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
djm

Post by djm »

Moor wrote:The Leafs are starting to look like a trauma ward.
Yes, but its a good source for betting. There's a pretty wide spread on how many minutes before Lindros takes the big one. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Cranberry wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:
Cranberry wrote:For those who don't know who She is:

http://images.google.com/images?q=jan+c ... 59-1&hl=en
Wow. I have to check this TBN out. What a HOOT!
I feel kinda sorry for her. She thinks people take her seriously.

I really admire all her work with starving children in Haiti, but when she's on television the only thing people ever comment on is her hair (or lack thereof--I'm rather positive it's a wig).
And just think of how many more starving kids could be fed with what they spend on the over the top gaudy set- just how much gilded furniture can one person stand? Not to mention that herbudget for "beauty" products and hair/wig would probably feed a small country. :o
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Martin Milner wrote:
Cranberry wrote:The History Channel is supposed to cover all history, though, not just US History. It does have different shows on about various aspects of Middle Eastern, South Asian, Australian, European, British, etc. history, but it seems (to me) there is much more WWII stuff on there than all the rest.
Of course you are right, but WW2 is a bit of a hot topic at the moment as we're currently celebrating the 60th Anniversary of the end of the war.

There's a big push on collecting and presenting WW2 History going on in England at present, because not too far down the road we won't have anyone alive who lived through it. The BBc have a website dedicated to it, and are collecting written and oral histories.

Only last weekend Avanutria and I saw a display in a local museum showing a map of the local area and all the bombs that had landed there. The map was smothered in pins. You can still see bomb damage on some of the older buildings, either stone chips knocked out by shrapnel, or walls being patched with different colour brick. I personally find this era fascinating because my parents and grandparents lived through it, the city I live in suffered greatly through it, and I'm surrounded by memories of it.
A few years ago my county asked folks to write down their accounts of service during WWII. These accounts were complied into a very nice large leather bound book. It is fascinating reading about things that our parents or neighbors did that sound like stuff out of a movie script. The accounts submitted by family of those who did not make it home are particularly moving. I'm so glad they did this since, as you suggested, all too soon the time is coming when no one will be left who actually lived it.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Jack

Post by Jack »

cowtime wrote:
Cranberry wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote: Wow. I have to check this TBN out. What a HOOT!
I feel kinda sorry for her. She thinks people take her seriously.

I really admire all her work with starving children in Haiti, but when she's on television the only thing people ever comment on is her hair (or lack thereof--I'm rather positive it's a wig).
And just think of how many more starving kids could be fed with what they spend on the over the top gaudy set- just how much gilded furniture can one person stand? Not to mention that herbudget for "beauty" products and hair/wig would probably feed a small country. :o
A small country probably lives in her hair.

I was talking to somebody about Tammy Faye once and Jan Crouch came up. I think the difference between the two is that even though she wears a lot of makeup and false eyelashes, at least Tammy Faye still looks like a person. Poor Jan resembles alien vomit. I just can't stop looking at her.

That picture is actually from her own website. Not only is this random lady being scrunched up against The Wig in order to take a picture, she's also getting her face smashed by a Bible stuffed with Wendy's napkins!

It kinda looks like Jan sprouted a new head on her shoulder and is trying to kill it off before it takes her microphone away...
aderyn_du
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

Well, I've been watching entirely too much of the ol' boob-tube and have been trying to liberate my brain....but I will not give up any of the CSI's or my re-runs of Sex and the City.

and my secret confession is that I've actually been watching... gulp....Rock Star: INXS. Even though I swore up and down I'd never watch it on the principle that no one could ever replace Michael Hutchence. ::sigh::
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Martin Milner wrote:
Cranberry wrote:The History Channel is supposed to cover all history, though, not just US History. It does have different shows on about various aspects of Middle Eastern, South Asian, Australian, European, British, etc. history, but it seems (to me) there is much more WWII stuff on there than all the rest.
Of course you are right, but WW2 is a bit of a hot topic at the moment as we're currently celebrating the 60th Anniversary of the end of the war.

There's a big push on collecting and presenting WW2 History going on in England at present, because not too far down the road we won't have anyone alive who lived through it. The BBc have a website dedicated to it, and are collecting written and oral histories.

Only last weekend Avanutria and I saw a display in a local museum showing a map of the local area and all the bombs that had landed there. The map was smothered in pins. You can still see bomb damage on some of the older buildings, either stone chips knocked out by shrapnel, or walls being patched with different colour brick. I personally find this era fascinating because my parents and grandparents lived through it, the city I live in suffered greatly through it, and I'm surrounded by memories of it.
The church that Tony and I went to our first Sunday in London (St. Luke's, in the Docklands) actually met in their old parish hall because the actual church building had been destroyed in WWII and they are just this year at a point where they can think about rebuilding (in fact, they were planning a bus tour of London churches for later that week, so parishioners could get a look at other parishes and get a feel for what they wanted their new building to be like). That was an aspect of history we hadn't expected to encounter...and rather cool to hear these people speaking of rebuilding, even though it had been nearly 60 years since their church building had been destroyed!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

You guys thought you were being funny about dubbing being better than subtitles for blind people - well, I have a friend who is blind and he would much rather have dubbing! He has a satellite dish and loves the History channel.

So what do I watch? The Weather Channel, Jeopardy, Red Green, news if there's something interesting going on.

My husband and daughter are the TV watchers - any "reality" show or re-re-reruns of Seinfeld. Heaven forbid I should have anything to say during any of my husband's shows! Sometimes I think I should hire a script writer so if I want to say something it's as sparkling as the dialog on TV. But it's perfectly ok for him to come in and bug me when I'm on the Internet.

Re: the big haired evangelist - (too lazy to click the link and get her name) - I get so irritated when I see people being taken in by creeps like her and the Bakers. My mother-in-law sent her wedding ring to Jimmy Swaggart to be sold for $ to send to the starving children wherever. I think she was a fool.
Charlene
Jack

Post by Jack »

I have to defend Tammy Faye. She hasn't really been a televangelist since the scandals way back when. And she has apologised and moved on as best she can for a public person.

Nowadays she is doing reality tv, speaking engagements, ministry on acceptance and love for gay people (she even had a tv show with gay HIV+ friend Jim Bullock--tell me which other televangelists would dare to so much as be seen with a gay person much less one with HIV), battling three cancers, and going on Larry King from time to time. I like Tammy Faye. She is not Jan Crouch.

And unlike most others in her (former) genre, I really do believe that Tammy Faye is sincere these days.
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

My mom has Fox news on a lot, sometimes I see stuff on that. The other day the animal planet was on and I saw something interesting and ended up watching like four shows.

I never turn on the TV or change the channel, just whatever someone else turned on, if it looks interesting, which is rarely.

I occasioally watch movies.
Everyone likes music
TomB

Post by TomB »

Cranberry wrote:
jbarter wrote:
TomB wrote: I've forgotten what we are doing! :P
Make your mouse do the scrolling. If it has a button on top you can push it down and it will scroll for you.

Got to bump it!
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

TomB wrote:
Cranberry wrote:
jbarter wrote: Will you guys quit it? I can't take all the scrolling. :boggle:

Got to bump it!
I've always wanted to be part of one of these.

I also watch History International sometimes. Covers more then just WWII.

Martin, Battle of Trafalger Square? That must have been the landlocked Nelson.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Flyingcursor wrote:
TomB wrote:
Cranberry wrote: Make your mouse do the scrolling. If it has a button on top you can push it down and it will scroll for you.

Got to bump it!
I've always wanted to be part of one of these.

I also watch History International sometimes. Covers more then just WWII.

Martin, Battle of Trafalger Square? That must have been the landlocked Nelson.
Well...

this...

is...

silly.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."