OT: Fab Cape Breton Fiddle Album

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
OnTheMoor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OT: Fab Cape Breton Fiddle Album

Post by OnTheMoor »

I picked up this album a couple of years ago at the Glen Breton Scot.. ahem, Whisky, distillery in the Cape Breton highlands. The cashier had said she really liked it, and although I had reservations about buying a fiddle CD from someone who said "I don't usually like fiddling..." I picked it up anyways. I had listened to it quickly when I got home, but hadn't really given it any attention as I had bought a few albums in Nova Scotia that I had been looking for. Also, at the time I was more interested in hearing particular instruments than actual music. So, after a couple minutes of scanning through, I said "shmeh" and tossed it into my CD stand.

The Heart of Cape Breton (Fiddle Music Recorded Live Along the Ceilidh Trail)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... c&n=507846

I'll have to start off by thanking Chiffers because I think my musical taste and ear have matured a good deal and it really let me enjoy this album. I'm waiting for a Danu and Kevin Burke album to come in and this morning I was at a loss as to what I could listen to on the bus. So I grabbed this and tossed it in, figuring I would give it another chance, and I am very glad I did. This CD blew me away.

The tracks are all recorded in Inverness County, my favourite place on the planet for many reasons (not the least of which being the birthplace of my girlfriend) at various dances and recitals, and is, to borrow the ITM term, "the real thing". I've never heard such a raw compilation. Cape Breton fiddlers don't let technically perfect playing get in the way of a good tune and the dirt on these tracks gives it such an authentic feel. I'd highly recommend this CD with an interest in... well... music! Let me know how you like it.

Brian
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I'll have to order that CD. We've spent a few vacations in Nova Scotia and two years ago we spent about a week in the Margaree Valley area. The Tourist Center in Port Hastings had a huge board that had all the musical events organized so you could really plan what to go hear each night. Some nights we had to choose, there was so much going on. Last time in Mabou there was a really great concert with all the generations of the Beaton family to celebrate the CD they made with the Smithsonian Folklife thing, I believe. That whole area is so beautiful and so full of great music. I can see why it is your favorite place on the planet! I could have stayed in that little cabin for the rest of my life.
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Cynth wrote:Last time in Mabou there was a really great concert with all the generations of the Beaton family to celebrate the CD they made with the Smithsonian Folklife thing, I believe.
Psssssst. This is the CD. :D At least it should be unless they did two. There is also Buddy MacMaster and the various others from them parts.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I think this is the one I was thinking of. It is a Smithsonian Folkways recording. It just has the Beaton family on it.
ImageImageAnd this is the one you are talking about. So there are two! :lol: And that's good!

Oh, I see the confusion. They are both Folkways! I didn't notice that before. Now I see why you thought I must mean the one you did. I didn't know Folkways had produced two either.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

You also may want to look at www.cranfordpub.com for Cape Breton stuff
TomB

Re: OT: Fab Cape Breton Fiddle Album

Post by TomB »

OnTheMoor wrote:I I said "shmeh"

"shmeh", eh? I've never used the word, but I like it, I may have to start using it now, your post having used it so eloquently.

Thanks for the info on the cd, it sounds great.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Huh, how 'bout that. Guess I'll pick that one up to sometime. The CDs are very well done. With a title like "Heart of Cape Breton" I was afraid it would end up like something called "The Sounds of Ireland" or "Celtic Classics".

Thanks Peter.

I think I may have picked up "shmeh" from a Seinfeld episode. All us young folk around these parts use it though. Feel free! :P
TomB

Post by TomB »

OnTheMoor wrote: I think I may have picked up "shmeh" from a Seinfeld episode. All us young folk around these parts use it though. Feel free! :P

Thanks, but what if I'm not so young, can I still use it?
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Oh yes, I can't think of another word that conveys indifference so well.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

That is a really great website, Peter. It's pretty unusual, in my experience anyway, to have a place that is selling books and CD's to also give transcriptions of many of the tunes as well as sound samples. I hope it encourages people to buy from them.
JS

Post by JS »

Yes, thanks for the link, Peter. Good to see on their books page that the Dungreen Collection of Cape Breton Tunes may be coming back into print--one of my favorite tune books, with a lot of info on ornamentation, etc.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Paul Cranford is a good guy (and I like his job). I cooperated a bit with him and David Papazian on the book on a mutual friend, Chris Langan. Paul is a nice fiddleplayer too.