Dinosaurs on Noah's Ark

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

emmline wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote: And Noah gets his REAL name, which is UTNAPISHTIM.
Personally, I think it's more likely that Utnapishtim was an accidental reversal of Noah's true name: Mithsipantu.
...and that might be a mispronounciation of Mitsubishi...
Noah was Japanese!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
rodfish

Post by rodfish »

Tyler Morris wrote:
emmline wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote: And Noah gets his REAL name, which is UTNAPISHTIM.
Personally, I think it's more likely that Utnapishtim was an accidental reversal of Noah's true name: Mithsipantu.
Noah was Japanese!
Ah Tyler, you make me laugh!!! Thanks for lightening the mood.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver."
fiddleronvermouth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by fiddleronvermouth »

peeplj wrote:One of the things that's hardest to realize is that your beliefs, which are so precious and appear so obvious to you and to those who share them, aren't particularly special, precious, or even unique, in the eyes of those who do not.

That's not meant to be a slam.

It's meant to point out why John Believer gets frustrated when Freddy Atheist won't "see the truth." To John, Freddy is being stubborn, or wrong-headed, or angry--whereas, to Freddy, there is no truth there to see.

--James
Man, that's the smartest thing I've read all week.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Any student of biblical prophecy knows the end spoken of by Christ already came and went. Jesus said in Mat 24:14 that when the gospel is preached in all the world, then shall the end come. Paul said in several places, like Romans 1:8, that the message was already carried to the whole world. No, the original Greek words KOSMOS and OIKOUMNE are not limited to the "known" world. It's referring to the world's inhabitants. Why would anyone be left out? England, but not Ireland? That wouldn't make any sense.
rodfish

Post by rodfish »

Lorenzo wrote:Any student of biblical prophecy knows the end spoken of by Christ already came and went. Jesus said in Mat 24:14 that when the gospel is preached in all the world, then shall the end come. Paul said in several places, like Romans 1:8, that the message was already carried to the whole world. No, the original Greek words KOSMOS and OIKOUMNE are not limited to the "known" world. It's referring to the world's inhabitants. Why would anyone be left out? England, but not Ireland? That wouldn't make any sense.
I'm amazed Lorenzo at such a sweeping statement. The many students of Biblical prophecy I know certainly don't believe that the end has come, nor has the gospel message been preached to the whole world yet. And yes I agree that the Greek word you mention; Kosmos, is speaking of all the inhabitants, but there are roughly 8000 people groups (groups with their own dialect and customs) in the world who still haven't heard the gospel. :sniffle:
And the verse you referred to in Romans isn't talkiing about the gospel message, per se; Paul is simply telling the Romans, to whom he is writing that he's thankful that their faith is being proclaimed throughout the world. In other words that everyone is hearing about their stand for Christ. If he was talking about the gospel, he would have said the gospel instead of your faith.

Rom 1:8-9
8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is being reported all over the world. NIV

Probably a little hyperbole on Paul's part, but their stand for Christ was becoming well known.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Blackwood wrote:Walden,
I see you still haven't managed to apologize for your misguided effort to characterize me as being prejudiced...

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... &start=420

I noticed you posted nothing to refute the factual basis of my statements which you thought apparently were worthy of implying me to be prejudiced.

So is it that you attack without basis and then don't support your attack with any facts? Please clarify your approach.
One thing you have right in this post. I certainly did not apologize.
Reasonable person
Walden
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Rodfish, it's not difficult to understand Paul's point. I seriously doubt if people all around the world were jumping up and down over the Romans ability to believe in something--not knowing what that something was.

Not sure how Christians have missed this gem. It's not in the interest of organized Christianity to give verses like this any credence or serious thought. That's my guess. But I know where you're coming from. The Church is moving backwards trying to keep up with the population ever unfolding. I once read that something like 90% of the worlds population lives between Africa and China.
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

Well walden thanks for clarifying you do indeed attack without basis and without any supporting facts.

A real hero of the keyboard.....again failing to defend what you did and address the facts of my statement..what a guy....

just can't admit you were wrong can you?
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

Rodfish,

It's hard to have a discussion if you ignore the questions posed. You seem to find offense with someone asking to think critically. Is thinking critically a bad thing?

I sense from all your statements you are a true Bible believer. as such could you at least answer one question:

What makes the Bible true and the Koran or Book of Mormon fro example wrong?

I'm trying to understand why you have it right and so many people have it wrong.

Regarding your quote of the coming of Jesus of prophecy, let me put it in context and display a broader collection of the quotes regarding the return of Jesus and the broader picture is very clear: The prophecy would occur within this generation of Jesus and that includes the preaching to all the nation. Keeping that out of the equation seems like a desperate attempt to keep the phrophecy alive (IMHO):

Matthew 10:23 But when they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another: for verily I say unto you, Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come.

Matthew 16:28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

Matthew 23:36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.

Matthew 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

Matthew 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

Matthew 26:64 Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

Mark 9:1 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.

Mark 13:30 Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done.

Mark 14:62 And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

Luke 9:27 But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.

Luke 21:32 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.

John 5:25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

John 21:22 Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me.

Romans 13:11-12 And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed. The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.

Romans 16:20 And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.

1st Corinthians 7:29 But this I say, brethren, the time is short: it remaineth, that both they that have wives be as though they had none;

1st Corinthians 10:11 Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

1st Corinthians 15:51-52 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

Philippians 4:5 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.

1st Thessalonians 4:15-17 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep... Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

1st Thessalonians 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

2nd Thessalonians 2:2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.

Hebrews 1:1-2 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son,

Hebrews 9:26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.

Hebrews 10:37 For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry.

James 5:8 Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh.

1st Peter 4:7 But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer.

1st John 2:18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

1st John 4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

1st John 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

Rev 1:3 Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

Rev 3:11 Behold, I (Jesus) come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

Rev 22:7 Behold, I (Jesus) come quickly: blessed is he that keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book.

Rev 22:12 And, behold, I (Jesus) come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

Rev 22:20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Keep in mind that many times the coming of God has been promised but it never materialized:

Ezekiel 30:3 For the day is near, even the day of the LORD is near, a cloudy day; it shall be the time of the heathen.
Joel 1:15 Alas for the day! for the day of the LORD is at hand, and as a destruction from the Almighty shall it come.

Joel 2:1 Blow ye the trumpet in Zion, and sound an alarm in my holy mountain: let all the inhabitants of the land tremble: for the day of the LORD cometh, for it is nigh at hand;

Joel 3:14 Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision: for the day of the LORD is near in the valley of decision.

Amos 8:2 Then said the LORD unto me, The end is come upon my people of Israel; I will not again pass by them any more.

Obadiah 1:15 For the day of the LORD is near upon all the heathen: as thou hast done, it shall be done unto thee: thy reward shall return upon thine own head.

Zephaniah 1:14 The great day of the LORD is near, it is near, and hasteth greatly, even the voice of the day of the LORD: the mighty man shall cry there bitterly.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Blackwood wrote:
Well walden thanks for clarifying you do indeed attack without basis and without any supporting facts.

A real hero of the keyboard.....again failing to defend what you did and address the facts of my statement..what a guy....

just can't admit you were wrong can you?
Such a martyr.

Your statement was simply that of all Western cultures the US had more religious people. I didn't notice any "supporting facts" in that statement, dispite your later discourse on the virtue of statistical methodology.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Perhaps the cramped conditions in the ark caused the unicorns to lose their horns and evolve into horses.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
rodfish

Post by rodfish »

Blackwood wrote:Rodfish,
It's hard to have a discussion if you ignore the questions posed. You seem to find offense with someone asking to think critically. Is thinking critically a bad thing?
Well, Blackwood, once again you've twisted what I posted to your own ends. You seem to do that quite often. I didn't say that thinking critically was a bad thing. Quite the opposite, I hinted that the passage you mentioned (and quoted only a portion of) was quite simple to understand "if you think critically." Obviously you're a bit sensitive when it comes to "critical thinkers" so I'll try not to step on your toes too often in that area.
Regarding your quote of the coming of Jesus of prophecy, let me put it in context and display a broader collection of the quotes regarding the return of Jesus and the broader picture is very clear: The prophecy would occur within this generation of Jesus and that includes the preaching to all the nation. Keeping that out of the equation seems like a desperate attempt to keep the phrophecy alive (IMHO):

What you've done here Blackwood is quite typical of the unbeliever who just simply doesn't understand Scripture. To your mind and understanding, you're puting it "in context" but you try to do that by ripping a whole slew of verses out of context to prove a point. Any good student of hermeneutics knows that you just can't do that and come away with any semblence of understanding. Any slick reader of the Bible can pull out random verses to prove any point he desires. And when you can't argue logically, well, pull out all the stops and go for volume!

As for ignoring your questions, I haven't done that at all. I may not have answered every single one because some, like this last one, are purely antagonistic and I see no reason to present my viewpoints to someone who is only interested in tearing them down.
And that's what you've tried to do, Blackwood. Not once have you acknowledged any one of my answers to be satisfactory. You've either ignored them completely, or tried to twist them into something else.

What do you believe in Balckwood? Or do you simply believe in tearing down the Christian faith. Do you spend as much energy on the Islamic Faith, or the Mormon faith? Or is it just Christians who get under your skin? And if so, why is that?

What authority do you base your life upon? Can you answer my questions?

2 Peter 3:3-7

3 First of all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. 4 They will say, "Where is this 'coming' he promised? Ever since our fathers died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation." 5 But they deliberately forget that long ago by God's word the heavens existed and the earth was formed out of water and by water. 6 By these waters also the world of that time was deluged and destroyed. 7 By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men. NIV
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Tyler Morris wrote:
In a similar vein, the Mazda car was named after Uhura Mazda, god of Zoroastrianism. No joke
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Wanderer wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:
In a similar vein, the Mazda car was named after Uhura Mazda, god of Zoroastrianism. No joke
Yes, that's very true!
Good on ya, Wanderer! :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

flying cursor:

you may notice i didn't attack anyone i just raised a question which was later found to be correct.
I was then implied to be prejuidiced just for asking the question.
I took offense to that.