What instruments are most used to accompany the Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
lollycross
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lollycross »

Hi, to all of you with the hundreds of whistle c.d.'s.
So what do you think is the most widely used
instrument to accompany a solo whistle album........guitar, fiddle, harp, piano,
drum?????
lolly
chanse

Post by chanse »

guitars, bass, bodhran, cheesy keyboards
BrassBlower
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

Guitar (of course, I'm biased).

:grin:
Tres

Post by Tres »

Bodhran seems to work well for Mary Bergin on her CD.

I also think whistle and guitar sound very good together

Tres
neophyte whistler/grizzled veteran guitar player
ChristianRo

Post by ChristianRo »

I dream of writing a suite for piano, saxophone, bodhran & whistles someday. You guys think that would be a good idea?

Christian
Mark_J

Post by Mark_J »

On 2002-06-20 10:11, ChristianRo wrote:
I dream of writing a suite for piano, saxophone, bodhran & whistles someday. You guys think that would be a good idea?

Christian
Sounds fine. Have you ever heard "At The Rackett's" self-titled first albumn? Lots of Sax, piano and flute, as well as fiddle and banjo. I don't think any whistle or bodhran, but very fun-none the less.

Also in general, nobody had mentioned bouzouki or mandola
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

Harpsichord comes to mind as a great potential trad instrument. I would love to hear a flute/whistle, violin, guitar and harpsichord recording. I'm still in the "trying to like it" phase where celtic piano accompaniment is concerned. But David Sandall of Puirt a Baroque does wonderful things with harpsichord on the albums, "Bach Meets Cape Breton" and "Return of the Wanderer." He's playing with fiddler David Greenberg and guitarist Terry McKenna. Sadly, no flute player on these recordings.

(edited to take out shouty capitals)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: thurlowe on 2002-06-20 18:15 ]</font>
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Another whistle.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I don't know about most used, but I've heard some stunning slow airs played w/ just whistle and harp. Jerry O'Sullivan plays O'Carolan's Farewell to Music on the Gentle Breeze compilation cd. Derek Bell and Paddy Moloney of the Chieftains have done some great pieces together, as well.
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
tomandceil

Post by tomandceil »

I've generally played with piano accompaniment. If you've got a person with a good bounce and a strong harmonic sense, it works just fine. Unfortunately, my ex-bandmember didn't have the good bounce in her rhythm, but she did have a strong enough harmonic sense to make it worthwhile. Besides piano, she's a first-class clarinetist, and played Irish on clarinet well enough to impress Gerald Trimble, who we opened for in the 80's and who called her up to join him in her set. But when we tried (on several occasions) to do whistle/clarinet duets, the results were disastrous -- incompatible keys, she told me; too much transposition, she said. (I think she just didn't want to do it.) In retrospect, I should have pulled out a whistle in another key, but it simply didn't cross my mind at the time. But I'd say piano and whistle are a great combination. Guitars are more flexible, though (or maybe it's guitarists who are more flexible), and next time I'd team up with a guitar player.
tomandceil

Post by tomandceil »

Er, Gerald Trimble called her up to join him during *his* set. Sorry.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

An outrageously good (and surprising) combination is Low Whistle and Harmonica and Guitar, who'd a thought? Check out the last track on Emer Mayock's Playground CD for an example.

I never would have thought to pair the whistle and harmonica, what a concept.......

Loren
gordontait

Post by gordontait »

The instruments that my band use to accompany whistle are: accordion, guitar, bouzouki (spelling?), lots of percussion (bodhran, bongos, side drum, etc.), clarsach, piano + loads of other stuff!
Also the whistle is GREAT as an accompaniment for voices.
Gary

Post by Gary »

My vote goes for the guitar. The whistle & overdriven electric guitar duet on Iona's "Irish Day" is a good example of how well they work together.

Hmmm... Now it's got me wondering what that would sound like, played a 5th apart. :smile:

Gary
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

My favorite local whistle player plays in a group with a guitar, acoustic bass, and concertina. I was surprised when I first heard how sweet the concertina and whistle sounded when played together.