For people who play too fast.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tony McGinley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tony McGinley »

Phil Hardy wrote:Tony,try separating the head from the body and add some more grease to the inside if the slide and then slowly twist the body back on.Most pro players who use tunable whistles just set the slide where it is in pitch when warm and leave it there.
Phil.
Thanks a mil Phil - I actually used a little petroleum jelly and worked the joint a bit and it is beginning to loosen up fine.

One of the guys I play with is a box player, and his button accordion seems to be tuned a bit sharp, so I have to tune every time I play with him. Most of the rest of the time I dont need to tune.

Beannachtai Ort
Tony McGinley

<i><b>"The well-being of mankind,
its peace and security,
are unattainable unless and until
its unity is firmly established."
<i><b>
mvhplank
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Tony McGinley wrote:Thanks a mil Phil - I actually used a little petroleum jelly and worked the joint a bit and it is beginning to loosen up fine.
Petroleum jelly? I thought cork grease (the kind clarinet players use) would be preferable. I've got some that comes in a handy lip balm-type dispenser. Unless I misunderstood and your whistle has metal-on-metal connections. But I wouldn't put anything but cork grease on my flute corks.
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Tony McGinley

Post by Tony McGinley »

Is petroleum jelly going to cause problems with the cork?? I used it because I do not have cork grease to hand and because I half remember reading that someone, perhaps on this board, used and recommended it. So should I remove the petroleum jelly??
Tony McGinley

<i><b>"The well-being of mankind,
its peace and security,
are unattainable unless and until
its unity is firmly established."
<i><b>
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

My wife and I play in public. She plays harp. We used to avoid reels because they just didn't seem to fit the instrumentation. But we found that the more melodic reels (Foxhunters, Morning Dew, even Craig's Pipes) sound really nice slowed way down. Someone said that some reels are all about rhythm. That's absolutely correct, and those are the ones that are hardest to learn. Good musicians love them, but most audiences find them boring after a while.
Azalin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

Whitmores75087 wrote:My wife and I play in public. She plays harp. We used to avoid reels because they just didn't seem to fit the instrumentation. But we found that the more melodic reels (Foxhunters, Morning Dew, even Craig's Pipes) sound really nice slowed way down. Someone said that some reels are all about rhythm. That's absolutely correct, and those are the ones that are hardest to learn. Good musicians love them, but most audiences find them boring after a while.
I think it can be said about any type of tunes. When you end up playing AABB three times, it can get repetitive. I guess that's when good players will have nice, subtle variations in that stuff to keep the music interesting enough. But at the end of the day, some people will just never like irish music because it all sounds all the same to them. :sniffle:

PS: A wife who plays harp, lucky ya!
PS2: Nice thread Phil!
Phil Hardy

Slow Down

Post by Phil Hardy »

Back from a nightmare session last night.Every tune I started (at a nice staedy pace) the F****** Banjo player would take it too breakneck speed within seconds AND stamp his foot on the wood flood as if staving off being savaged by deadly snakes thus making the whole session feel like it was being piledriven up the A***.
Why do we bother?
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Just shove his banjo up his A$$!
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

Exactly! :P You know all of those stupid banjo player jokes...
Life is good.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Cut the strings first.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Slow Down

Post by Redwolf »

Phil Hardy wrote:Back from a nightmare session last night.Every tune I started (at a nice staedy pace) the F****** Banjo player would take it too breakneck speed within seconds AND stamp his foot on the wood flood as if staving off being savaged by deadly snakes thus making the whole session feel like it was being piledriven up the A***.
Why do we bother?
Been there, done that, wanted to strangle someone with the T-shirt.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Re: Slow Down

Post by Whistling Willie »

Redwolf wrote:
Phil Hardy wrote:Back from a nightmare session last night.Every tune I started (at a nice staedy pace) the F****** Banjo player would take it too breakneck speed within seconds AND stamp his foot on the wood flood as if staving off being savaged by deadly snakes thus making the whole session feel like it was being piledriven up the A***.
Why do we bother?
Been there, done that, wanted to strangle someone with the T-shirt.

Redwolf
Hey don't persecute the banjo players....it's them damn fiddlers :D
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Actually, even banjo players are sweethearts compared to accordeon players!
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

Azalin wrote:Actually, even banjo players are sweethearts compared to accordeon players!

:tomato:
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Dulcimer speed: Tempo Di Three Legged Dog.

Soory, Pat; I had to.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.