Moving

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Schultz1981
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Moving

Post by Schultz1981 »

Hello all.
Most of you might not know me being a long time lurker here so i'll do a little intro
I'm Jordan,
im 24
REcently Graduated Uni (BA in Ancient and Medival History)
And have been pipeing and playing the whistle for a year and a half or so (still a beginer)
ANywho the reason why i am posting is that i have a chance, not offical yet, to be moving to Ireland next month for up to a year.
Since i would be on my own for a job and a place, and i dont know much about the Country, i was wondering if anyone had some advice where to go or anything else. Anything would be very helpful.
Of course i will be bringing my pipes and whistles, and would love to meet up with others, and hopefully get better.
Thanks in advance for tolerating my rambleing post.
Have a great day.
djm

Post by djm »

Jordan, some of this has been answered before. Check here:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... 51b1cc7093

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

It all depends on where you plan on going and what you'll be working at. The nation's favourite tv program at the minute is 'Rip-off republic', it will give you an indication of the price levels you can expect :roll:

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/moving_country/ ... b347ca2f8f

will give you all the official information you need.

Go with an open mind and take the (very ugly and) bad with the good, it's a great place most of the time as long as you can live with the climate.

I don't think having no clue about the country and how it works when deciding to take off on your own for a year is necessarily a good starting point. Having some handle on what to expect will help a great deal.
boyd
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

....or going for a holiday a time or two.
gregorygraham

Post by gregorygraham »

Hi Jordan,

I notice you're from Calgary. You'll find the Irish winters an absolute joke compared to what you are used to. It is warmer outside than inside. That takes some getting used to. Feel free to private message me concerning your questions about living in Ireland as a Canadian. I lived in Ireland from 1999 - 2001, in Dublin. I picked up a set and began piping while there, after many years of wanting to start. I became an Irish citizen, although I was able to obtain the citizenship because my wife is Irish, not because I was resident there for a while.

Personally, I recommend Dublin, if for no other reason than that NPU is there. That's the good part. The bad part is cost, cost and cost. Dublin is blindingly expensive. You'll pay far more to live in Dublin than you would in Calgary. Don't underestimate the shock of that.

Basically however, it is the best place in the world and you'll never regret your time there.

Good luck and enjoy.
Gregory Graham
Toronto
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Dublin is very much like Vancouver. The rain, the amazingly high cost of property and rent, etc.

Don't underestimate Irish winters. There's rarely snow, but I'd prefer a dry minus 10 C to a damp plus 5 C. Guess which one you're more likely to get in Ireland.
PJ
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

PJ wrote:
Don't underestimate Irish winters. There's rarely snow, but I'd prefer a dry minus 10 C to a damp plus 5 C. Guess which one you're more likely to get in Ireland.
but even when two snowflakes appear the whole country comes to a standstill, 'severe cold' in the weather forecast means -2C during the night :P
The lack of difference between the seasons is one of the worst things to cope with. You may get a grey day at 14C in feb, but you may get it in july too. And the endless grey and drizzle can get you close to the edge (you learn to cope if you get the odd bright day but if it lasts for weeks as it does sometimes the guards need to do daily sweeps for cars left behind at the Cliffs of Moher carpark. Weather for lemmings).
billh

Post by billh »

[quote="gregorygraham"...]

Personally, I recommend Dublin, if for no other reason than that NPU is there. ..[/quote]

OK, I do live near Dublin, but I wouldn't recommend it. A few miles outside is OK, but Dublin city can be pretty grey. I guess it depends on how many times a week you intend to visit NPU :P

Bill
Schultz1981

Post by Schultz1981 »

yay, thanks for the replys.
The deal is that i have gone though a program at school
Swap program
(www.swap.ca)
And though them i am getting an one year work visa,
I figured it that i am working a dead end job out here, why not try it out there, be an adventure..
I will be going with just under 3000 Euro but idealy i wanna find a job so i can use that for traveling later.
lol
i would live in a cave cutting Peat all day, if it ment i could support myself while i did.
the lack of sun will drive me nuts, Calgary gets more sun then anywhere else in Canada, so i think i will be playing a few more airs then normal.
sorry just rambleing now
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Depending on the sort of job you will be looking at, do consider the West. There's work in Shannon and Limerick, an easy commute from Ennis which will provide the music. Galway is lovely and plenty of music (though will be more expensive again).
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Go to Dingle,
It,s the dogs gonads

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

What about Waterford? Plenty of good pipers from Waterford: Tommy Kearney, JO'B-M, etc.

Plus, you got some nice beaches nearby (Dunmore East, Tramore, etc).

BTW, does TK still have his shop on John St.?
PJ
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

PJ wrote:Plus, you got some nice beaches nearby (Dunmore East, Tramore, etc).
Beaches aren't much fun in the rain though :cry:

PD.