I lost my "baby"

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Pete D
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Pete D »

My question is...how do you get a fishing hook out of an alligator's mouth? Tin whistle?
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I have often wondered the same thing. I was fishing for bass near Florida Power and Light in Miami and an alligator went after one of my lures. I quickly pulled it away from him but I don't know how I would have unhooked it. Those big Gar are just as bad. I did hook a couple of those. Too bad about the weasel especially since it is not replaceable.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

Cuting the line would probably be a wise decision. The alligator will probably spit it out sooner or later so I don't think there'll be much harm done to it.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Henke wrote:Cuting the line would probably be a wise decision. The alligator will probably spit it out sooner or later so I don't think there'll be much harm done to it.
Yup. Cut the line as close to the gator as possible, I believe. You don't want to lose an arm while trying to retrieve your lure, nor do you want to be arrested for molesting an alligator, which is highly illegal here. You'll do less time for selling drugs to kindergarteners. :lol:

If you hook a bird, however, you are not supposed to cut the line. Either take it to a rescue center or push/pull the hook completely through with pliers after cutting off the eyelet end.
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Lambchop wrote:Or, better still, since the flotation device would still allow it to float away, you can follow the famous military practice of simply tying one end of a string to it and the other to your pants. Perhaps a length of very fine fishing line tied through the bottom hole. Do that with all your loose bits and you'll never have to worry about losing your wallet, your keys, your pocket knife, or anything else, even if you, yourself, end up swimming.
That makes sense.

I remember that My Kid was wandering around in garb somewhere (a Ren Faire?) with her whistles tethered to her waist. They were affixed by the bottom hole with pretty ribbon. It did not seem to render them unplayable, either.

My tae kwon do instructor's daughter was playing re****er in elementary school and when the kids passed a certain milestone, they were given ribbon to tie around the bottom of the plastic instrument. It was curiously similar to my instructor's belt ranking method. (White, yellow, green, purple, brown, and black, in our sytem.)

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Lamby wrote:On the other hand, this is the season for Naegleria brain infections. There have already been several cases in folks who've been swimming around in freshwater lakes. Probably best not to stick your head underwater--the little parasites get into your nose, then go straight up into your brain. Death ensues fairly reliably.
Gosh, I missed this post entirely. Is this just freshwater lakes in the south? :boggle: :o :boggle: :o I don't go in the lakes in Iowa, but how about Minnesota and Canada?
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Cynth wrote:
Lamby wrote:On the other hand, this is the season for Naegleria brain infections. There have already been several cases in folks who've been swimming around in freshwater lakes. Probably best not to stick your head underwater--the little parasites get into your nose, then go straight up into your brain. Death ensues fairly reliably.
Gosh, I missed this post entirely. Is this just freshwater lakes in the south? :boggle: :o :boggle: :o I don't go in the lakes in Iowa, but how about Minnesota and Canada?
The two recent deaths were of Oklahoma children, unrelated to each other and infected separately.

Aug. 6 story here:
http://www.newsinferno.com/storypages/8 ... 5~004.html

and here

http://health.dailynewscentral.com/cont ... 001448/36/
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Zax

Post by Zax »

my suggeststion was to simply bring a wooden whistle. as long as it doesn't have a metal tuning slide, it should float...

i like the sound of the brain worms... of course, i'm guessing people are still out there swimming. after all, mad cow's been around a while, but people are still eating beef...
(not to stir a pot, just observing)

~Z
Aim for Deep Focus.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Cynth wrote:
Summer is full of health hazards! It's a wonder any of us survive to adulthood.

Check out the fine information offered by the CDC.
Zax wrote:my suggeststion was to simply bring a wooden whistle. as long as it doesn't have a metal tuning slide, it should float...
Best check for floatability before you go . . . my understanding of well-seasoned wood is that it sinks like a stone. And being that it'll be in a pocket, would likely be sat upon and squished. :)
curioso

Post by curioso »

Take Heart! 10,000 years from now an archeologist will discover the whistle right next to the bones of an alligator (dead from brain worms), conclusively proving that those extinct reptiles played musical instruments. Later, a PhD dissertation will assert that the alligators green color is a direct result of Irish heritage! :lol:
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

curioso wrote:Take Heart! 10,000 years from now an archeologist will discover the whistle right next to the bones of an alligator (dead from brain worms), conclusively proving that those extinct reptiles played musical instruments. Later, a PhD dissertation will assert that the alligators green color is a direct result of Irish heritage! :lol:
No, it isn't the 'gators - it's the Croc O'Diles. :D
TomB

Re: I lost my "baby"

Post by TomB »

ShadowBG625 wrote:I've decided to branch off of a thread over at GC. One of my best and most favorite whistles it gone, lost to me only yesterday. I had gone fishing with my younger brother, when we...hooked an alligator (about 5 feet or so). I like taking my whistle almost everywhere I go, especially in the middle of a lake . In trying to unhook the alligator, the whistle fell out of my pocket, and into the depths of the abyss of a lake. :o I was so determined to go into the water to find it, but factoring in the depth, and the clarity of the water (murky) [and the fact that we had just hooked a 5 foot alligator] I realized that there was no chance in finding it. A bit of humor though... :) it was a "Water" Weasel, so the weasel has been returned to the water. It was in a sense a "free" whistle, so it isn't a financial loss, just a personal one. So now, I have lost three whistles in my time. For shame...

On the bright side, there is one fine whistling gator out there now! :D

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
TomB

Post by TomB »

Lambchop wrote:[ Do that with all your loose bits...

Yep, I agree. You can never be too careful with your loose bits around an alligator. :wink:

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Several drugs are effective against Naegleria in the laboratory. However, although a variety of treatments have been used to treat infected persons, their effectiveness is unclear since most infections have still been fatal. Prompt diagnosis and treatment may help.
from the CDC link Lambchop gave, my bolding.

Why not just come out and say it? I mean if everyone dies, could we not say that the treatments have not been effective? I know, the treatments were not diagnosed early enough or something.

Well, the little swimming I do is in really cold water in big lakes on vacation so I think I'm just going to forget this little bit of ghastliness. Or try to anyway. :wink:
ShadowBG625
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Post by ShadowBG625 »

Poor Florida...been watching the news, and there's an algae bloom in the ST. John's River near Jacksonville (caused by fertilizer and runoff) and around the Tampa coastline, there'a breakout of that Red tide thing. They're calling it the "Death zone"