Burping while playing

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

:really: If you consume a more appropriate diet, you will not have these problems.
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

Nicolas-France wrote:When you burp, your pich does not move at all; tape your self to convince your self. It's an illusion due to drop in pressure somewhere
I dont quite understand the physics of it..
I think it does actually drop, because people playing with me in sessions have noticed me suddenly getting flat.

However I have noticed that when I'm listening to music and I yawn, the pitch drops too. I suspect that has to do with the effect of stretching my eardrums when I yawn?
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

Nicolas-France wrote:When you burp, your pich does not move at all; tape your self to convince your self. It's an illusion due to drop in pressure somewhere
when you burp, your energy level drops. it's a sign your body needs nurishment,
either food or drink.
if you don't do that, you're body has to compensate in one way or another has to struggle back to normal. Vomitbunny would agree with me here, the first option's best.
vomitbunny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

And when gas comes out the other end, it creates a force field that causes chairs to slide away from you. Sort of like that girl did in Fantastic Four.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Nanohedron wrote:Burping Guinness, my pitch used to drop. Well, it sounded to me as if it did. Now it doesn't. Well, it sounds to me as if it doesn't. I remain clueless.

Glad to be of help.
I believe there's a direct proportion between pitch perception and pitch reality as related to pints of Guiness consumed. :lol:

BTW, you want real burps, try Diet Coke! Whoo-hoo!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

BTW, why not explore burping as a percussive effect, ala some of that stuff Bobby McFerrin used to do? It can be quite entertaining in the middle of a polka.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

bradhurley wrote:
I think it does actually drop, because people playing with me in sessions have noticed me suddenly getting flat.

However I have noticed that when I'm listening to music and I yawn, the pitch drops too. I suspect that has to do with the effect of stretching my eardrums when I yawn?
I don't think you're stretching your eardrums when you yawn, but there is another acoustic effect going on:
There is a membrane inside your cochlea (that snail-shaped organ in the inner ear), which, if you stretched it out, resembles a cone. Inside this "cone" is a membrane covered with little hairs which spans the diameter of the cone, so a cross section of this cone at any point would resemble a circle with a diameter drawn in it. Sounds entering the ear are "sorted" here into higher and lower frequencies, with the wider parts of the cochlea resonating the lower frequencies, and the skinnier part resonating the higher frequencies. When you yawn, there is a major pressure change inside your ear, such that, for the short time where the pressure is unequal, the "wrong" areas of the cochlear membrane are excited. It's kind of like a mini pressure wave happening just inside the ear that kind of shifts the frequencies of the sound coming into the ear, just enough to be noticeable -- but you'll probably only notice it while listening to music.

Anyone else who has a clearer knowledge of this, please feel free to correct or clarify the above, but this is how I remember it works.

-Chris
P.S. I'm gonna try the helium thing, but it might be more fun with NO2. :)
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

bradhurley wrote:

It might have to do with a greater volume of CO2 in the breath. Yawning, as I undertand, is a way for the body to shed extra levels of it. Whether those levels are significant enough to affect pitch I will leave to actual experts.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Well, I don't burp, of course, but if I were to do so, I believe I would notice a change in the diameter of my airway.

The belchous gasses are coming from your stomach, not your lungs, so there are all sorts of things going on with little flaps opening and closing, etc., etc. That's what makes all those nifty sound effects you dudes like so much.

As you play, your airway is held at a particular diameter--that's how you control the tone. When you burp, a large volume of gas rises, distends everything, including your embouchure (I'd bet), and I think you get a larger diameter with consequent flattening.

Don't quote me, though. I'm just speculating.

Where is Dr. Amar when you need him??? Mr. Anatomy . . . perhaps you can explain?
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

The pitch drop is too dramatic to just be a change in embrochure or support. It's a whole step or more.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.