best flute recording ever

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
alessandro
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

best flute recording ever

Post by alessandro »

What is in your opinion the best irishflute/flutist recording ever?
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

And here I thought you were going to tell me what it was!!! :D
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Mike Rafferty 78 rpm
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

Mike Rafferty! For now,the only flutist I like and I am basically the man who don't like any wind instruments. He has the groove! I respect him as a great artist.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Yes, I got his CD this summer and it knocked me
over. He's playing an Olwell Pratten, of course,
and you hear the beast for what it is.

Surely others will chime in with their favorites, please!
I like to know what to buy.
kenny

Tracks or recording ?

Post by kenny »

Do you mean individual tracks, or a whole recording [ CD, LP, ] ?
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Anything at all?
It doesn't need to be 'the best ever'?
What's really good?
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

For one tune, I'd have to say Deirdre Havlin's (Deanta) rendition of King George and Chris Norman's version of The Fairy Queen.

For an album, Chris Norman's Man with the Wooden Flute. For more traditional fare, I'd include Garry Shannon's Loozin Air; the two Deanta albums with Dee on them; and Jack and Charlie Coens' the Branch Line.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
BrendanB

Post by BrendanB »

i won't even get into what the 'best' is, but here are a few albums that always seem to end up in my stereo.

Cian's 'Three Shouts from the Hill' - Brian Duke's flute playing is great
The Magic Square - Dan Isaacson's flute playing is awesome and really unique.
Kevin Crawford's solo albums
The Maple Leaf - Jimmy Noonan on flute
Fourmilehouse - Alan and John Kelly
Any Matt Molloy album, although personally I love the duet albums with Tommy Peoples and Sean Keane.
I also really like Liam Kelly's playing on all the Dervish albums
The Coen brothers album that was mentioned above

also, you can check out the list of albums at celtic grooves that feature a flute player. most of these are great albums - http://celticgrooves.homestead.com/CGCatalogFlute.html

brendan
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

The two that get the most time on my player are

Paddy Carty - the one with the banjo player (It's got the word "traditional" someplace in the title)

Kevin Crawford - In Good Company.

But I've been getting hooked on early Altan as well.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

BrendanB wrote: I also really like Liam Kelly's playing on all the Dervish albums
brendan
Amen, brother! And thanks for the list! Is that a boxwood Murray in your photo over there <------?
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

I think Tom McElvogue is pretty incredible and worth mentioning. His creativity with ornamentation is amazing (I'm still trying to learn some of those double rolls) and you can tell that he knows a keyed flute in and out (not just for accidentals). Plus he has so many free recordings...top notch in my book.
BrendanB

Post by BrendanB »

Cathy Wilde wrote:
BrendanB wrote: I also really like Liam Kelly's playing on all the Dervish albums
brendan
Amen, brother! And thanks for the list! Is that a boxwood Murray in your photo over there <------?
yeah, i've always felt that liam kelly never really gets the props that he deserves. maybe its because he's never done a solo album.

the flute is actually the boxwood Olwell that Josh Dukes was trying to trade on the board a couple weeks ago. I play a blackwood Olwell, but the photo of Josh's flute looks cooler.

b
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I agree about the correlation between Liam's lack of a solo recording & props. It was nice to hear him a little more in front on "Spirit" (and then there's "The Old Swallowtail".... wow). And you know, one of the things I like so much about him is that he is such a great ensemble player (tho' the Milliner's Daughter" from their Live In Palma recording is still one of my all-time favorite solo turns) -- most of the time he's just in the trenches shoveling away, and doing it wonderfully!

Wow, that's a handsome flute. I've only seen 2 of Patrick's boxwoods, so couldn't remember the ring type. Anyway, at that size, colorwise etc. it looks dead like my Murray. (I tried to trade Joshua my cocus Hammy for his, but he didn't bite. I wonder why? :-))

Have a great day!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Some goodies have been mentioned, but I've gotta say Catherine McEvoy consistently wows me. Her playing has an incredible level of depth and maturity.