I bought a Chiff&Fipple messenger bag today.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
ninjaaron
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I bought a Chiff&Fipple messenger bag today.

Post by ninjaaron »

Now I have the perfect bag to carry all these whistles that I play badly, and the flutes that I do even worse with.

Yay.

So do these things rock or what?
Everyone likes music
mvhplank
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

I favor the canvas tote, myself.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

A now-faded C&F t-shirt has accompanied me to many gathers. I might get another one someday soon.
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

mvhplank wrote:I favor the canvas tote, myself.

M
I'm a young person. Us young people do messenger bags, not totes.

It's just the way of the world.
Everyone likes music
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

:lol: :lol:
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

ninjaaron wrote:

M

You whipper-snapper. Back when I was a boy we used to whistle to school everyday in six feet of snow. Uphill both ways. We didn't carry no messenger bags. We were lucky to have plastic fipple blocks and only the rich kids had pockets to stuff the whistles in.

Why back when I was a boy we couldn't afford whistles. An old stick or piece of lead pipe made a dandy whistle, flute or shotgun.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Flyingcursor wrote:
ninjaaron wrote:

M

You whipper-snapper. Back when I was a boy we used to whistle to school everyday in six feet of snow. Uphill both ways. We didn't carry no messenger bags. We were lucky to have plastic fipple blocks and only the rich kids had pockets to stuff the whistles in.

Why back when I was a boy we couldn't afford whistles. An old stick or piece of lead pipe made a dandy whistle, flute or shotgun.
....and have change out of a nickel. :P
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

jbarter wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:
ninjaaron wrote:I'm a young person. Us young people do messenger bags, not totes.

....and have change out of a nickel. :P
A nickel? A NICKEL!!!

Why, when I were young, I'd have a handful of cold gravel for breakfast, paint the Forth Bridge for a tanner, and had to pay for me own paint out of that, then me dad would thrash us to sleep every night. Up again the next day and do it all again. We lived in a cardboard box, and glad we were to have a roof over our heads.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

That bag is actually pretty cool. What type of accomodations for whistles does it have inside?
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

ninjaaron wrote:

M

Slacker!

:D

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Martin Milner wrote:Why, when I were young, I'd have a handful of cold gravel for breakfast, paint the Forth Bridge for a tanner, and had to pay for me own paint out of that, then me dad would thrash us to sleep every night. Up again the next day and do it all again. We lived in a cardboard box, and glad we were to have a roof over our heads.
Aha Martin! Your guilty secret is out! You're a closet Yorkshireman. :D
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

brewerpaul wrote:That bag is actually pretty cool. What type of accomodations for whistles does it have inside?
space
Everyone likes music
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

brewerpaul wrote:That bag is actually pretty cool. What type of accomodations for whistles does it have inside?
Seriously though, I dunno, I just ordered it a couple of days ago and it hasn't arrived.

It's not specifically for whistles, it's just a bag with several pockets. If it has slots for pens, those might work nicely.

and, No, I don't mean that I would carry one of your whistles in it, nothing so pretty (well, maybe delrin). Oh lordy! if only I had $250 to spend on a whistle!

*prays to God for a Copland or overton low D, a soprano D Busman, and an M&E five keyed flute... and a Cello*
Everyone likes music
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

Well it arrived today. Here is my extensive review:

It pretty cool. Not quite as cool as my bag that I got French Connection, but it cost about six or seven times less.

Fit and finish: The bag is mustard yellow with black accents, apparently some kind of nylon; It does not taste like mustard, however. My mom saw it and said "Eeew, you got a yellow bag. I hate yello!". Clearly she is jealous and needs to come to grips with the fact that I have a bag twenty times cooler than all of her purses put together. It has the Chiff & Fipple logo with the finger holes on the front flap, with the wording just below "The PostStructural Tinwhistle Epxperience", as where my French Connetion bag says "FCUK WORK", short for "French Connection UK work Gear". It is my opinion that both things are excellent things to be written on a man purse, depending upon my mood, and how many people I want to offend in a given setting.

Reliability: It seems fairly sturdy. There is a tag on the inside that says "made in China". As an American, I couldn't be more pleased. We have been relying on quality Chines workmanship for a great variety of things for quite a some time now. Everything is woven nylon The stitching is very good... Man, must have taken some really little hands to get in there and do that... Seems to be sturdy. I took it to a music practice at church this evening full of stuff, and it held. It would really have been strange if it would have broken though. (No, I do not play the whistle in church, I play the guitar. Still waiting for that golden opportunity).

Playability: Has three large pouches. I was disappointed to find out that there are no whistle specific compartments, but I threw some whistles in there tonight, along with a bunch of other stuff and It held them. There is also a really long black flap with zippers on either side of it. I don't really know what that is, but I can at least play with the zippers. There is some smooth matte yello plastic lining the inside. Possible this is safe to take out in the pouring rain, though I don't think I will take it swimming.

Overall sound: Well, being that this is a Chiff & Fipple bag I automatically assumed that it would have special accoustic properties. I was correct. When I placed the bag over my head the noises outside became quieter (some lovely Bansuri music preformed by Steve Gorn). I tried to play a whistle inside of the bag, but I found that the sound was much louder, to the point of being painful, so I stopped. Frankly Dale, I am a little disappointed with the sound quality of this bag. I would have expected more from a gourmand like yourself.

One word to describe this bag:
"Hmmm..."

On a scale of 1 to Superlative, I give this bag:
Good
Everyone likes music
ChaoticGemini

Post by ChaoticGemini »

ninjaaron that is one of the most entertaining reviews I've read in a while. Thanks, I really did need a good laugh today.