Crooked tunes

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
MarkB

Crooked tunes

Post by MarkB »

Last week at Goderich Celtic College I had the chance to be introduced to music from Quebec by Alexander de Grobois-Garand of Montreal and the trio called Genticorum, http://www.genticorum.com/.

We learn to sets of music of two tunes each. The first tune in one set was basically a jig, the second tune in the set was a CROOKED REEL, which I have never played before and found it fascinating for its rhythm.

Alex gave us quite a few printout of tunes to take home but I want more! Tried searching Google for a website dealing with crooked tunes but came up mostly dry..does anyone in here from Quebec know of an internet source?

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Mark, you might want to try just looking for Quebecois tunes in general -- a fairly good percentage of them will be crooked, I'd expect.

You could branch out, too -- probably 50% of the Newfoundland tunes I'm famailiar with are at least a little bit crooked, and there are lots of crooked Metis tunes as well...

Jen says there are two books that 30 Below puts out (or at least sells) which are Quebecois crooked tunes. Ah, here's a link to them... http://www.clic.net/~thirtybe/100.html
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
SteveK
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by SteveK »

I have a little book of Rufus Guinchard's (Newfoundland) tunes. A lot of them are crooked. They will be mainly in 6/8, for instance, with an occasional measure of 9/8. There are American crooked tunes too. Were you at the fiddler's circle in the north tent? One of the fiddlers played Chinkapin Hunting, which is a nice one. (I think the correct spelling is chinquipin or something like that). Anyway, you can find it here.

http://www.math.ufl.edu/~crew/tunebook/Tunebook.html

Steve
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

Thunderhead by Grey Larsen (ed.) a strange tune in 7/8 and 6/8. I first heard a version on the Lunasa's first album on the second track where is follows Brenda Stubbert's. Grey also wrote and recorded a 6/8 version.
Last edited by LeeMarsh on Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

The little Rufus tunebook is obsolete, now you can get Kelly Russell's Collection Vol 1 which has all of the Rufus and Emile Benoit tunes he collected -- couple hundred tunes all told, I think. Plenty of crooked tunes from the both of them.

I didn't go to the fiddle circle, but I think the Genticorum guys were playing crooked tunes all weekend at the festival.

Whereas if you wanted to hear Newfoundland crooked tunes (other than a brief airing of one the cool one we learned in class at the Celtic College Showcase), the place to be was the lobby of the Bedford Tuesday night... ;)
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

The Thunderhead I know is by the flute player Grey Larsen

There's a clip here http://www.greylarsen.com/store/catalog ... ducts_id=9. I know it as a straight ahead jig.

I love to play it on the flute in a set with Tommy Whelan's jig (A tune Whelan called "The Rookery")
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

The tune Thunderhead was first recorded on a Grey Larson/Malcolm Dalglish album (LP). Kevin Burke played the fiddle on some tunes including Thunderhead-which is the title of the album. They play the tune first in 6/8 and then play it in 7/8. There is one 6/8 measure in in the 7/8 version so that it is crooked there but 7/8 is not necessarily crooked. Somewhere in my reams of music I have it written out but I don't know if I'd ever be able to find it. The tune became popular in Brittany as a pipe tune. At least I think it was Brittany. It has a different name and was thought to be a traditional tune but it was really Thunderhead arranged for pipes. I no longer remember the name.
colomon

Post by colomon »

SteveK wrote:Somewhere in my reams of music I have it written out but I don't know if I'd ever be able to find it.
It's in the Lunasa tunebook, isn't it?
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

colomon wrote:
SteveK wrote:Somewhere in my reams of music I have it written out but I don't know if I'd ever be able to find it.
It's in the Lunasa tunebook, isn't it?
Yep, it in the Lunasa song book as a 7/8-6/8 tune.
PS sorry about the typo on Grey's name which I've fixed in the original post.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Here's the version I know. Where do the extra notes fit in?

X: 1
T: Thunderhead / Jig Brest St. Marc
M: 6/8
L: 1/8
R: jig
K: Bmin
|~B3 fBB|eBB dBA|~B3 fgf|edB ABd|
|~B3 fBB|eBB def|gfe ~f3|edB ABd:|
|:afd edB|ABd c2c|Bcc Bcc|
dcB ~c3|afd edB|ABd c2c|
(3Bcd B c2a|1gec dfg:|2gec dc=c||
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
colomon

Post by colomon »

Just nabbed this from thesession.org:

X:1
T:Thunderhead
R:"Balkan"
M:7/8
L:1/8
K:BPhr
~B3 fBBf|eBB dBBA|~B3 fggf|edB AGGc|
~B3 fBBf|eBB dBef|gfe fddB|1ADF ABBc:|2ADF ABc2||
|:dGG AGGE|DEG EF~F2|EFF EF~F2|GFE EF~F2|
dGG AGGE|DEG EF~F2|1BdB ceeg|f/2g/2af g3e:|2M:6/8 Bde fgf|M:7/8 edB AGGc||

I can't find my Lunasa tunebook, so that's the best I can do for now.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

s1m0n wrote:Here's the version I know. Where do the extra notes fit in?

X: 1
T: Thunderhead / Jig Brest St. Marc
M: 6/8
L: 1/8
R: jig
K: Bmin
|~B3 fBB|eBB dBA|~B3 fgf|edB ABd|
|~B3 fBB|eBB def|gfe ~f3|edB ABd:|
|:afd edB|ABd c2c|Bcc Bcc|
dcB ~c3|afd edB|ABd c2c|
(3Bcd B c2a|1gec dfg:|2gec dc=c||
It would be good if one of the people with the Lunasa book answer. The version you give is not the original Thunderhead. The 2nd part is considerably different. That's to fit the pipes I think. Go to JC's tunefinder and search Thunderhead. Select #32 or 28 where the key signature is one sharp (G, according to them). That version is the correct 6/8 version. The ones marked D are not. Below # 28 (at the bottom of the page) there's # 29 in 7/8. The basic pattern for the 7/8 is (da da da, da da da da). There's supposed to be a 6/8 measure in the 7/8 version but I'm not sure where. The tune appears to me to be in B phrygian. Phrygian is the mode built on the 3rd of the scale, isn't it?

OOPs. I didn't see Coloman's message. That version is the same as Simon's. We must have posted at the same time. Anyway here's the address for JC's tunefinder.

http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/FindTune.html
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Thanks all for the links and information, something to explore in the darks of winter.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

s1m0n wrote:The Thunderhead I know is by the flute player Grey Larsen

There's a clip here http://www.greylarsen.com/store/catalog ... ducts_id=9. I know it as a straight ahead jig.

I love to play it on the flute in a set with Tommy Whelan's jig (A tune Whelan called "The Rookery")
That's a really fun tune, thanks Simon.
Anyone have any good suggestions for French Canadian or Ottawa Valley albums?
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I got interested and boy, I sure couldn't find any sheet music for tunes from Quebec or New Foundland (songs, but not dance tunes) on the Internet. Not saying they aren't there, but.... Maybe if a person had some names, dang, and I think I could have gotten some of those now that I think about it. Anyway, I concluded the books were about the only way.