Is there any good reason to see Riverdance?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
OnTheMoor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by OnTheMoor »

I'm not sure it is Riverdance that everyone has such a low opinion, I think it might be more a certain dancer from Boston who is(was) associated with it...

Cynth

Post by Cynth »

If this is cheesecake it ain't my flavor. I might have to put this guy in my Gunther file.
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Awww, c'mon, he's the Celtic Tiger! :D
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I prefer the Irish Wolfhound. There is a noble creature.
WhistlingGypsy

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

Has anyone seen Flatley's (whatever else you say about the guy, he is a talented dancer) latest production - Celtic Tiger? It is in Ottawa in October and I am considering goign to it.
Cheers Image
Gerry
Think before you Think before you Post!
Pat Cannady
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

A) He's from Chicago.

B) I don't give a rat's arse about Riverdance, LOTD, or Celtic Tiger. I wouldn't take $100 to sit through any of them. Maybe $1000. Each.

C) That said, the older people who knew him when he was young and taught him how to dance and play the flute still respect him, are amused and sometimes puzzled by his antics, even miss him despite the grandstanding, showbiz trip he's been on the last 10-15 years.

D) He's very much a self-made man. If nothing else I respect his ability to bring his dreams to reality. While some of us may quibble with his decisions (myself included), how many of us ever achieve that?
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Well, I would probably take $1000 to go to the shows, but not $100 I don't think. Although I do like dance extravaganzas, so I might rent the videos.

I'm sure this fellow has put in a lot of hard work. And I agree than many of us would be discouraged before we finished the job.

I'm just not too keen on the beefcake thing in any fellow---I find it unattractive. I think that too is part of his promotional job and it is meant to appeal to women, many of whom I'm sure it does. I prefer an unposed fully clothed cowboy myself. :)
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

WhistlingGypsy wrote:Has anyone seen Flatley's (whatever else you say about the guy, he is a talented dancer) latest production - Celtic Tiger? It is in Ottawa in October and I am considering goign to it.
Just came back from the health club and the mid day news had repeated adds for this show. What got my attention was the last second in which a young woman rips open her shirt to display and American flag design bra underneath.

Is shirt ripping an Irish traditional thing?
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Pat Cannady wrote:A) He's from Chicago.

B) I don't give a rat's arse about Riverdance, LOTD, or Celtic Tiger. I wouldn't take $100 to sit through any of them. Maybe $1000. Each.

C) That said, the older people who knew him when he was young and taught him how to dance and play the flute still respect him, are amused and sometimes puzzled by his antics, even miss him despite the grandstanding, showbiz trip he's been on the last 10-15 years.

D) He's very much a self-made man. If nothing else I respect his ability to bring his dreams to reality. While some of us may quibble with his decisions (myself included), how many of us ever achieve that?
Apologies, I'm sure you are all very proud of him.

I don't quibble with his decisions, I just think he's a goof.
Henke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

dwinterfield wrote:
WhistlingGypsy wrote:Has anyone seen Flatley's (whatever else you say about the guy, he is a talented dancer) latest production - Celtic Tiger? It is in Ottawa in October and I am considering goign to it.
Just came back from the health club and the mid day news had repeated adds for this show. What got my attention was the last second in which a young woman rips open her shirt to display and American flag design bra underneath.

Is shirt ripping an Irish traditional thing?
I must say that I almost puked at the tv when I saw Flatley's American/Irish flag jacket in FOF. I myself enjoy a good show as long as it's entertaining. I can see plenty of value in watching a show like LOTD, Riverdance or FOF: good dancing, gorgeous women, good music and spectacles. But sometimes it's just over the top.
That beeing said, I think Riverdance is the best show of them all, because it sort of reaches the limit of what I can stand and never exceeds it. I don't puke my guts out over what is trad and what is not. This is nothing like trad, even if it would give the impression of being trad to an untrained eye, but I don't really care. A show is a show. People will watch something because they find it entertaining, not because their ancestors did the same stuff 200 years ago. Some people do enjoy stuff because their ancestors did, 200 years ago, and that is a blessing. But it's not the point...

Edited to say that only the first sentance was a responce to what you said, all the rest was just letting out what I feel about this.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Well worth seeing. As others have said, though, not a "traditional" piece.. though, it seems to be setting its own .. since it has been quite popular for some number of years now.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Farrell

Post by Farrell »

He adulterates traditional Irish anything in this show. There are traditional elements to all of the other shows, but Celtic Tiger is by far the least traditional thing that I can think of. It's all about glitz. FoF was too, but at least FoF had elements from LotD which were traditional.
Irish dancer and musician.
Instruments: Low (D, Kerry, slightly modified) and tin (D) whistles, and a cheap wooden flute that I can hardly play (good thing it is cheap).
Bob

Post by Bob »

Celtic Tiger is by far the best Irish Dance show EVER! Riverdance has gone to crap..they have sucessfully turned wine into water, however Lord of the Dance is still as sharp and entertaining as always. Celtic Tiger is more a Las Vegas show then a traditional show but it has the worlds best Irish dancers out of any irish show on this earth..and the steps are the hardest yet. Celtic Tiger pisses all over Riverdance. If you get the chance..GO SEE IT!
indestructibleman

Post by indestructibleman »

the best celtic dancing i've ever seen was with The Chieftains.

they had a couple with them who did traditional step dancing in the irish style (looked like Riverdance to my uneducated eyes), they also brought up a troop of girls from a local celtic dance school, which was nice.

but the best thing was these two members of the band that were brothers (with the last name Polanski or something like that) and they did what they called Ottawa Valley dancing. it was somewhere between irish step dancing and american tap and it's one of the most amazing performances i've ever seen.
-will

"strange thing is they make such bloody good cameras."
colomon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

indestructibleman wrote:but the best thing was these two members of the band that were brothers (with the last name Polanski or something like that) and they did what they called Ottawa Valley dancing. it was somewhere between irish step dancing and american tap and it's one of the most amazing performances i've ever seen.
That's Pilatzke. Just watching (actually mostly listening) to one of them (John?) on DVD the other night. They've played with whistler Loretto Reid's family band and Chanda Gibson's group Pulse as well as the Chieftains -- actually, I think I've seen them live with all three groups.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)